Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

4x4 reliability index

Options
  • 07-01-2010 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=35747

A few surprises there and a few rumours/stories made a reality.

Personally, not surprised to see the RR down there. Landcruiser aint as good as they used to be. I had a 120 series and got rid. They are getting a bad rep for injector problems and of late blown engines due to clogged oil pick up.

Surprised at the XC90 though. I read a bit about them and posted recently about the number of problems I had seen on the various forums but very surprised to see how far down they are.

Japanese is still the way to go for 4x4 it would appear.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

E39MSport wrote: »
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=35747

A few surprises there and a few rumours/stories made a reality.

Personally, not surprised to see the RR down there. Landcruiser aint as good as they used to be. I had a 120 series and got rid. They are getting a bad rep for injector problems and of late blown engines due to clogged oil pick up.

Surprised at the XC90 though. I read a bit about them and posted recently about the number of problems I had seen on the various forums but very surprised to see how far down they are.

Japanese is still the way to go for 4x4 it would appear.

surprised to see the old LC down at the bottom... I would do a filter and oil every 5-6k miles, .. i would be interested to see the Irish stats for failures in the LC of for faulty injector / injector seats / injector seal related issues , you hear a lot of talk about it, but i have never heard of anyone with this exact issue..

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

Honda08 wrote: »
    surprised to see the old LC down at the bottom... I would do a filter and oil every 5-6k miles, if you let the oil sludge up im not surprised it gets caked up..

It's at the bottom of the top. It's tenth best on long list.

Here are the bottom 10. No Toyotas there you'll see !

Bottom 10 4x4/SUVs
    Manufacturer Model

1 Audi A6 Allroad (00-05)
    2 VolkswagenTouareg (03-)
    3 BMW X5 (00-)
    4 Jeep Cherokee (01-08)
    5 Volvo XC90 (02-)
    6 Land Rover Range Rover (02-)
    7 Land Rover Discovery (98-04)
    8 Mercedes M-Class (98-05)
    9 Land Rover Discovery (04-)
    10 Volvo XC70 (00-07)

v300 wrote: »
    It's at the bottom of the top. It's tenth best on long list.

Here are the bottom 10. No Toyotas there you'll see !

Bottom 10 4x4/SUVs
    Manufacturer Model

1 Audi A6 Allroad (00-05)
    2 VolkswagenTouareg (03-)
    3 BMW X5 (00-)
    4 Jeep Cherokee (01-08)
    5 Volvo XC90 (02-)
    6 Land Rover Range Rover (02-)
    7 Land Rover Discovery (98-04)
    8 Mercedes M-Class (98-05)
    9 Land Rover Discovery (04-)
    10 Volvo XC70 (00-07)

I meant I thought it would be higher up list on the top list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Lets face it the first eight look poxy. It's really only some of the unreliable ones I'd want.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Freelander more reliable than Lexus and Toyota Landcruiser :eek:

It's the new Octavia :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Freelander more reliable than Lexus and Toyota Landcruiser :eek:

It's the new Octavia :D

thats a Superb post:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I wish Honda weren't so reliable. It's getting boring!

JHMEG wrote: »
    I wish Honda weren't so reliable. It's getting boring!

they may be reliable, but the petrol ones are now real cheap..07 08 etc. depreciating hard.

anyone see the commercial CRV on the road yet? honda released it before christmas,
    so some should have been in the dealers before christmas.. from memory its the exec spec with all the toys leather etc, 2.2D for €30k inc vat.

http://www.honda.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=17732&parentID=4115

i have been looking out to see one but none yet.. anyways it doesent have low ratio 4wd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Well well well. 8 jap cars & 1 south Korean in the top ten???:D
    Im not shocked.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Interesting results there alright.

Every so often someone comes on here wanting to buy a RR or LR and is told that it is financial suicide. They end up being pointed in the direction of the X5 which is less reliable or the XC90/Toureg - again less reliable.

Also to see the Freelander II in the top 10 most reliable is good news. Maybe some of the over the top LR bashing can stop now? I know they aren't the best, but they arent the worst either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

@ Mr. David.

I think we justifiably equally bash the XC90 and X5 in the same breath as the LR now (apart from Freelander). ;)

What a turnaround for the freelander though. Sh1tbox it was. Might be good new for the next gen of RR/RRS.

@ Honda08
    Check out the 120 series forum on tlocuk.co.uk. You'll see lots of chatter about the oil pick up and injectors and the anger and dismay directed at Mr. T. Someone on here enquired about a 'lunched' lc engine recently.
    I reckon that Toyota will turn this around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Ok let me get this straight.
    The honda crv got 23.10 & the Landcruiser got 82.78 on the 'reliability index rating'.
    So this implies that the crv is roughly 4 times more reliable than the landcruiser?

Warranty Direct’s study used its unique Reliability Index, which takes into account how often vehicles break down, average repair cost and time spent in the garage to calculate its overall reliability. The lower the Reliability Index number, the more reliable the car

Is this saying that the cost of the repair to the vehicle contributes to the reliability index rating?
    That means a car that breaks down a lot can still achieve a decent score because the repairs were cheap & quick or a car that breaks down rarely but has high repair costs can achieve a low score. Hmmm???

Advertisement