Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-mercury dentist

Options
  • 06-01-2010 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm looking for a dentist in Dublin who is aware of the dangers of amalgam fillings which contain mercury. Some dentists in Ireland dismiss the dangers of these out of hand. However, I know that in the UK and in the US, there are whole associations of non-mercury using dentists. And in Norway, such fillings are banned. But, I'm not aware of any such association here in Ireland. I know that there is a lot of debate about this issue. However, I would feel happier if I could find a good dentist who at least acknowledges the potential dangers of those types of fillings. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

nope

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Kangboen wrote: »
    I'm looking for a dentist in Dublin who is aware of the dangers of amalgam fillings which contain mercury. Some dentists in Ireland dismiss the dangers of these out of hand. However, I know that in the UK and in the US, there are whole associations of non-mercury using dentists. And in Norway, such fillings are banned. But, I'm not aware of any such association here in Ireland. I know that there is a lot of debate about this issue. However, I would feel happier if I could find a good dentist who at least acknowledges the potential dangers of those types of fillings. Any recommendations?

Try an oral surgeon, they dont use any amalgam afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

I did a google for "dentists in Ireland who do white fillings" and got a search list of 23,400.
    I tried the same search but included the words "instead of amalgam" and got a list of 3,400.
    So it is possible to have just white fillings if that's what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭foret

"I'm looking for a dentist in Dublin who is aware of the dangers of amalgam fillings which contain mercury.

Every Irish qualified dentist should be aware of the dangers of mercury toxicity. I say should because all undergraduate course contain detailed studies of the long term scientific evidence of amalgam fillings. However more importantly the people most at risk of mercury neurotoxicity are nurses and dentists themselves.

I myself use it everyday. However you can always insist on white composite fillings and communicate your concerns to any dentist.

There is a "holistic" dentist in westport who works in a mercury-free environment if that is any good. Google and you will easily find. They can also re-align your energy channels;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

amalgam was banned in Norway for enviornmental reasons, it was found that clinics were not disposing of waste materials in the correct manner. It was not banned to my knowledge for patient safety reasons. Of course there are associations of dentists who do not use amalgam, there also was a political organisation called "The Monster Raving Looney Party" in the UK. if you look hard enough you will find associations for just about everything. Amalgams are safe, have been used for decades and have never been proved conclusively to cause any harmful diseases. At a lecture recently a professor explained that if you give a lab rat enough of anything you can cause pathology, including water. Incidently mercury can be found in numerous sources of food including fish.

I think this argument has been done to death and seems to attract a considerable number of crackpots, so I hope moderators will close this thread.

a final word of advice, do what everybody else who prefers not to have amalgam fillings does, just ask your dentist for white ones, but be aware they take longer to place and are more expensive than amalgam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

ah good ole westport. make sure they inform you of the mildly carcinogenic activity of composite fillings, and their oestrogen mimmicking effects while they go on about the harm that the inert mercury can('t) do in the form used in fillings. you wouldn't want a cracking pair of moobs in a few years?*

* my reference is from a different office in the same building as the anti amalgam campaign. the floor below is where the american government spends all their money. pro-tobacco, anti-tobacco, and israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

leaving this open for the moment but thing can change if history starts repeating itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭omelette

As I write this, one of my amalgam-filled teeth is throbbing big-time, so a visit to a dentist is a priority. I googled this thread while reading up on amalgam issues, and after a little further digging came across a few other pieces of info that I thought I'd post here. First off, Norway was cited above as having banned amalgam fillings, but an article located at http://www.naturallifemagazine.com/9702/mercury.htm states that many other European countries have serious concerns about amalgams;
    Sweden has banned mercury amalgam dental fillings, effective January, 1997, after determining that at least 250,000 Swedes have immune and other health disorders directly related to the mercury in their teeth. Denmark will ban amalgams beginning in January 1999.

In 1991, Germany's Health Ministry recommended to the German Dental Association that no further amalgam fillings be placed in children, pregnant women, or people with kidney disease, and in 1993 this was extended to include all women of child-bearing age, pregnant or not. Austria is also phasing out mercury fillings.

Unsurprisingly, as Ireland seems incapable of any independent actions on anything, either mimicking the UK or the almighty US of A, I'm not surprised at all that I couldn't find any similar Irish-related concerns online. I was tempted to quote the entire article here but didn't as it's quite long, but it does make very interesting reading. Of particular note are the tests done on monkeys and sheep that received fillings. Also, the growth of antibiotic-resistant bacteria attributable to mercury is worrying.

From reading, one could easily end up thinking that dentists are far more worried about lawsuits than they are about their patients. Someone stated above that there is no proof that "conclusively" proves that amalgam fillings should be a cause for concern, but from what I've been able to find online, the same Dental Associations don't (can't?) provide any proof that they are safe, and imo the onus should be on those that profit from the practice.

Every dentist in Ireland placed white fillings if that is your preference, also if you want amalgams removed under dam every dentist can do that. Your tooth hurts because there is recurrant decay under the filling.

• Advertisement

I agree with Fitzgeme, alternatives exist and you can have them if you wish. Although I disagree with the statement in your quote with regard to a direct link to immune issues and other health issues from amalgam. This is a lie. No study has ever found a direct link between health issues and amalgam fillings.

Thank you for the responses. Regarding my tooth, the filling is only 7 months old and never gave me a problem, I just woke and there it was. Now it's really sensitive to heat/cold. The filling looks perfect though and there's no pain from it no matter how much I have prodded it. Strange. Also, my dentist has never even hinted to me that an alternative exists, I presumed that molar-fillings had to be amalgam-filled cos of their increased workload. I have a couple of white fillings in incisors as well.

Regarding amalgams in general, I think it's bizarre to just gloss over the fact that several countries apparently have banned it, not just one, and not just for waste-disposal reasons either as was stated above. And I have no doubt that there are many dentists, just as qualified as the nay-sayers, who have done a 180 degree turn regarding amalgams and with good reason.

I had already decided to change dentists when, after giving me a telling-off for not cleaning properly, he then advised a regime of rubbing fluoridated toothpaste onto my teeth with my finger before bed-time and not rinsing! Great dentist from the practical point of view (ie. pain-free experience) but clueless about the dangers of fluoride - I don't use fluoridated toothpaste nor drink fluoridated water. But that's a completely different discussion, one for a different thread!

have you checked out the oestrogen mimmicking effects of composite fillings too?

was thinking about this earlier, but the countries that have outlawed amalgam fillings - sweden, switzerland etc, have pretty big dental material industries. isn't it in the companies interest that the countries would ban certain materials that are cheaper? could be one for the conspiracy theory forum though.

and i have to disagree (and take offense) on ireland being incapable of doing anything on it's own. weren't we the first country to outlaw smoking in enclosed public spaces? (well, you didn't limit your statement to just dentistry did you!)

omelette wrote: »
    Thank you for the responses. Regarding my tooth, the filling is only 7 months old and never gave me a problem, I just woke and there it was. Now it's really sensitive to heat/cold. The filling looks perfect though and there's no pain from it no matter how much I have prodded it. Strange. Also, my dentist has never even hinted to me that an alternative exists, I presumed that molar-fillings had to be amalgam-filled cos of their increased workload. I have a couple of white fillings in incisors as well.

Regarding amalgams in general, I think it's bizarre to just gloss over the fact that several countries apparently have banned it, not just one, and not just for waste-disposal reasons either as was stated above. And I have no doubt that there are many dentists, just as qualified as the nay-sayers, who have done a 180 degree turn regarding amalgams and with good reason.

I had already decided to change dentists when, after giving me a telling-off for not cleaning properly, he then advised a regime of rubbing fluoridated toothpaste onto my teeth with my finger before bed-time and not rinsing! Great dentist from the practical point of view (ie. pain-free experience) but clueless about the dangers of fluoride - I don't use fluoridated toothpaste nor drink fluoridated water. But that's a completely different discussion, one for a different thread!

i don't think it needs a new thread, it's been done to death already. but i think i may have found a reason as to why you're getting more decay..

i don't think it needs a new thread, it's been done to death already. but i think i may have found a reason as to why you're getting more decay..

Well, I don't! Prior to my last dentist-visit - 2 fillings - it had been more that 6 years since I had been to him, and he said in general everything was in good order. Except my cleaning of course!

Are you are a dentist? If so, could you explain to me, if fluoridation is such a great thing, why Ireland, the only country stupid enough (imo) to have been fluoridating the water for 50-60 years now, compare so poorly to other countries that don't fluoridate their water in dentistry statistics? I think Ireland is somewhere in the middle, whereas if the fluoride-pushers are to be believed, we should have the most perfect dentures on the planet! If we had, dentists would be broadcasting this far and wide - and I'm not just talking about Ireland here - instead, what we hear are endless excuses from the establishment as to why statistics show that it doesn't work.....

because the difference in dental health between fluoridated and non-fluoridated areas speaks for itself. in ireland, the public water supply is treated, but there are still hundreds of thousands of people in local schemes that don't have treated water. you may be looking at statistics for the country as a whole instead of certain areas.

Omelette, you haven't said one thing yet on this forum that any qualified dentist would agree with. Your dentist advised you apply the toothpaste in such a way to stop you getting cavities. Please enlighten us as to the perceived dangers of fluoride?

I must say, you wouldn't stay a patient of mine for very long...

@ballsymchugh - I take it that you are a dentist. So could you please point me to this information that conclusively proves this? btw, I wasn't just referring to Ireland, I am talking about every country that fluoridates the public water. In fact, if you have such conclusive proof of the benefits of fluoride, here's a chance for you to make some money!!!
    $20,000 REWARD FOR ANY PROOF THAT FLUORIDE WORKS

Dr. Robert Mick, DDS, was one of the original scientists who promoted fluoridation, until he did his own animal studies on sodium fluoride in the late 1940's and then abruptly changed his mind after authorities ordered him to cover up his test results. He refused, and proceeded to do some more research on those very authorities.

Dr. Mick's studies prompted him to confidently present this challenge:

"$20,000 to the first individual who can provide one copy of any controlled experiment with any of the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) recommended fluorides in water, at the USPHS recommended parts-per-million, which shows that poisonous fluorides are safe and will cause no future body harm."

Dr. Mick's $20,000 offer has been valid since the 1950's, but per a 1991 radio interview, Dr. Mick said that nobody had yet presented even one claim to him in hopes of collecting the reward. His address is 916 Stone Road, Laurel Springs, New Jersey. He put his money where his mouth is, with no takers.

Note this was offered in the 50's - so multiply that number by at least 10-20. Still, no takers, I wonder why... Also, I was raised in one of those 'backward' parts of the country where fluoridation hadn't yet been implemented. Though nearly 50, I still have 26 of 32 teeth, despite the 'advantages' of fluoride. What I also have is permanently mottled front-teeth from using fluoride as a child - fluorosis, possibly the least damaging aspect of fluoride. Finally, if this stuff is so safe, kindly explain why there is a warning on the back of every tube of fluoridated toothpaste warning that children that eat the stuff should seek immediate medical attention? The reason is that there is enough fluoride in one tube of toothpaste to kill a child! And there is no such warning on non-fluoridated toothpastes, at least the brand I use.

@Big_G - your condescending attitude probably only merits a reply in kind, but on the off-chance that you are genuinely ignorant, below are links to an audio interview of two doctors, one Irish, the other American, that immediately refutes your statement that "you haven't said one thing yet on this forum that any qualified dentist would agree with." And I'd wager that either of these individuals are far more qualified than you are. Also included is a link to an ebook that will elucidate the matter further.

http://ubuntuone.com/p/jGG/
    http://ubuntuone.com/p/jGO/
    http://ubuntuone.com/p/jGZ/
    http://ubuntuone.com/p/jGa/

[QUOTE=omelette;

Note this was offered in the 50's - so multiply that number by at least 10-20. Still, no takers, I wonder why... Also, I was raised in one of those 'backward' parts of the country where fluoridation hadn't yet been implemented. Though nearly 50, I still have 26 of 32 teeth, despite the 'advantages' of fluoride. What I also have is permanently mottled front-teeth from using fluoride as a child - fluorosis, possibly the least damaging aspect of fluoride. Finally, if this stuff is so safe, kindly explain why there is a warning on the back of every tube of fluoridated toothpaste warning that children that eat the stuff should seek immediate medical attention? The reason is that there is enough fluoride in one tube of toothpaste to kill a child! And there is no such warning on non-fluoridated toothpastes, at least the brand I use.

Omlette, please clarify for me, were you exposed to fluoride as a child or not? Do you mean you still have 26 teeth thanks to fluoride, but as a side effect you have mottled front teeth (diagnosed by a dentist as being due to excess fluoride during the formation period)

Note this was offered in the 50's - so multiply that number by at least 10-20. Still, no takers, I wonder why... Also, I was raised in one of those 'backward' parts of the country where fluoridation hadn't yet been implemented. Though nearly 50, I still have 26 of 32 teeth, despite the 'advantages' of fluoride. What I also have is permanently mottled front-teeth from using fluoride as a child - fluorosis, possibly the least damaging aspect of fluoride. Finally, if this stuff is so safe, kindly explain why there is a warning on the back of every tube of fluoridated toothpaste warning that children that eat the stuff should seek immediate medical attention?

this thread is completely derailed now, but...

how many of your 26 teeth have fillings?

like most things in life, everything is safe in moderation. we are advised to get sunlight during the day to keep Vit D levels up, but too much sunlight can cause skin cancer.

i clicked on one of the links you posted, and it began with 'this hour we will discuss..'
    when i have 4 hours spare, i may give them a listen, but it could be a while. could you paraphrase for us?!

• Advertisement

I could just as easily offer 20000 to ask somebody to prove that fluoride is unsafe. It is completely meaningless. Some people just want to believe that conditions that are unexplainable by any other means must be caused by something, and they lay that blame squarely at the feet of fluoride, or mercury in amalgam or eating meat or that the wind blows from the west. It has no basis in fact (yet). I base my opinions on science. There isn't one single study that has yet to convince me that fluoride is harmful. The benefits outweigh the risks.

Let me present some facts for you. Fluoride is in the water supply. Even in non-fluoridated areas and bottled water. It is a naturally occurring mineralisation of all water, both fresh and salt. FACT, irrefutable.

The unique caries preventing properties of fluoride are well established. They were initially discovered by a man called H. Trendley Dean in the 1920's while conducting epidemiological studies of a condition he called 'mottling' which is now known as fluorosis. He noted that in areas such as the Colorado where the water had higher natural concentrations of fluoride that there were higher rates of mottling but much lower rates of decay. He then set out to discover at what level of fluoridation could a balance be struck between rates of fluorosis (which is a harmless aesthetic concern in 90% of cases) and decreases in the caries rate. He estimated that this concentration was 1-2parts per million.

Trendley Dean's theories and scientific evidence were buttressed and reproduced in many epidemiological surveys in many parts of the world where fluoride was naturally higher in concentration in the water supply. He argued that in areas where the fluoride concentration was lower that it should be optimised so that the rest of the US could benefit from this discovery.

Fluoridation is one of the most studied public health measures in the history of medecine. To date there have been only a handful of studies that suggest a possible detrimental effect to health beyond fluorosis. One study suggested a possible link between fluoridation and an increased incidence in osteosarcoma (an incredibly rare bone cancer) in adolescent males.

The central controversies regarding fluoride lie in its systemic delivery in fluoridated water systems, the source of the fluoride and the 'mass medication' argument.

First systemic vs topical delivery. Systemic delivery works best for developing teeth and seems to have a negligible effect in adults relative to topical application. Therefore, the main reason that water is fluoridated is to prevent children getting decay in their teeth early. The earlier you get decay in your adult teeth, the earlier you are likely to lose them later on in life. This is particularly true of children in lower socioeconomic groups who may not have access to the education or may not live in an environment where oral hygiene is a priority.

We know the mechanism of action of fluoride and why it works to help teeth become more resistant to decay. Let one of these anti-fluoride experts argue with peer reviewed, published microscopy and biochemistry studies that prove that fluoride works to fight decay. They won't, because they can't.

You seem to think that fluoride is bad for you no matter what the source. Let me tell you that even if fluoride had bad effects, it wouldn't be in the extremely low systemic exposure you get by brushing your teeth with it and spitting it out. In toxicology, the cardinal rule is the dose makes the poison. As I said previously, even if you lived in a bubble and drank nothing but distilled water all day, you would still be exposed to fluoride, mercury and radiation. It just can't be helped, it's part of life. The human body has developed systems for metabolising and defending against these things, otherwise we wouldn't have lasted very long as a species.

In terms of the sourcing argument, this I can't really speak much about. I know that it Ireland the source is an industrial byproduct which is either sodium hexafluorosilicate or hexafluorosilicic acid. Most people object to this because they see it as industrial waste and poison. I can't argue against these accusations very well except to say that again the dose makes the poison. In Ireland we are talking 0.6-0.8 parts per million. The other thing is that salts and acids dissociate in water to form positive and negative ions. As fluorine is highly electronegative it is highly reactive and will form other compounds in water.

In terms of mass medication, as someone with somewhat libertarian outlook, I somewhat disagree with water fluoridation. The fact is, we don't live in a libertarian country. We live in a country with partially socialised medicine. I say if the government pays for dental care for people, it has a right to reduce the costs of that provision, especially if it is in the best interests of the people it is providing care for. That is not even to mention the judgement of hte Supreme Court in 1961 which stated that fluoride was a nutrient and not a medication due to the fact that it occurred naturally in the water supply. Water fluoridation amounted to an optimisation of that fluoride concentration. This argument makes sense to any sensible person. The only counter is that the source is no longer sodium fluoride as it was when the judgement was made but sodium hexafluorosilicate. Which still results in fluoride in the water, the same fluoride that comes from sodium fluoride.

With regard to the quoted doctors, I doubt they are more qualified than Professor John Clarkson, whose PhD thesis was on fluoridation, who devised an updated index for classification of fluorosis, whom was the President of the International Association for Dental Research and who was the former Dean of the Dublin Dental School. From whom I learned all about fluoride.

I can understand an objection to water fluoridation and the systemic delivery of fluoride. There is an argument that it is not needed due to the fact that there is so much topical fluoride available (notwithstanding the mountain of data proving that caries rates are lower in the Republic where water is fluoridated vs in the North where water isn't - they both have topical fluoride available). But I won't accept an argument against topical fluoride application. There just isn't a sane argument against it. None of the people you have cited even argue against it, but you choose not to use fluoridated toothpaste. I'm sorry but that is just nonsense and any possible objection about health risks have absolutely no basis in science.

Which leads me to the reason why you probably wouldn't be a patient of mine for very long. You would get sick of me asking you to use fluoridated toothpastes, mouthrinses or gels. Because I practice evidence based dentistry. Not opinion based mumbo-jumbo. And the only way you wouldn't have a mouthful of cavities/fillings is if you had immaculate oral hygiene and didn't consume refined sugar.

I hope the only people stupid enough (and with a body weight less than 40kg) to eat at least a half a 100g tube of toothpaste are children...because they are the only people who can die from it. As stated previously, THE DOSE MAKES THE POISON. The LD50 in rats is .125g/kg in rats. That is an awful lot of fluoride. If you were, say, a rat, and you weighed 100 kilos, you would have to drink about 12500 litres of water in less than 1 hour to reach a dose that would kill 50% of rats who also weighed about 100kilos. Whats more worrying here than fluoride? 100 kilo rats or 12500 litres of water to drown in?

this thread is completely derailed now, but...

how many of your 26 teeth have fillings?

like most things in life, everything is safe in moderation. we are advised to get sunlight during the day to keep Vit D levels up, but too much sunlight can cause skin cancer.

i clicked on one of the links you posted, and it began with 'this hour we will discuss..'
    when i have 4 hours spare, i may give them a listen, but it could be a while. could you paraphrase for us?!

- off-topic?... ahhh, told you so! :D

Fillings? - I think 5, maybe 6. btw, I could cite multiple animal studies that show conclusively that it's what we eat, not how often we brush (if ever!) that determines whether or not you develop cavities. Stating the obvious I hear you say - well, yes, my point is that you do not hear dentists lobbying the government demanding that sugar etc. is banned. Why? 'cos you guys make a damn good living out of it! Same as you guys make plenty from financial incentives from the likes of Colgate for recommending their poison to your customers. Don't know about Ireland but the yanks average $10,000 for peddling this fluoride to their unsuspecting patients.

And going even further off-topic, my nephew got all his teeth 'lacquered' - no proper term forthcoming! - a few years ago, the promise being that he would not have to bother about tooth decay after that, and for 200-300 euro if memory serves. Well, a few months ago he had to get all the 'gunk' removed as it was flaking off of its own accord. Another dental scam...

Finally, I think it's a travesty that you consider spending a few hours to educate yourself by listening to top experts in their field as too much trouble, particularly if you are recommending this poison to people - of course you still haven't confirmed that you are a dentist! So no, I won't summarise their conclusions. You also haven't provided a link to the study...

What's interesting is that in these few posts although I have provided links to information, practically all of it has been just ignored by you 'experts'. Either you are just paid-trolls or you are woefully uneducated.

Big_G wrote: »
    I hope the only people stupid enough (and with a body weight less than 40kg) to eat at least a half a 100g tube of toothpaste are children...because they are the only people who can die from it. As stated previously, THE DOSE MAKES THE POISON. The LD50 in rats is .125g/kg in rats. That is an awful lot of fluoride. If you were, say, a rat, and you weighed 100 kilos, you would have to drink about 12500 litres of water in less than 1 hour to reach a dose that would kill 50% of rats who also weighed about 100kilos. Whats more worrying here than fluoride? 100 kilo rats or 12500 litres of water to drown in?

I'll quote the smaller of your posts if that's ok.

First, I appreciate the lengthy response. However I am very well informed about this subject, so most of this I already knew - what I would be interested in learning more about (as I also requested from your learned colleague above) is a link to this Irish information. What I do know is that every independent study done in the USA shows little or no benefits from the use of fluoride, but a whole lot of harmful side-effects. 'Independent' is in bold for a reason - what good is a study that is done by the likes of Colgate? The majority of studies done are sponsored by the drug companies and invariably their findings favour their profit-margins - they're worthless!!!

And yes, fluoride is found in natural water supplies everywhere to a greater or lesser extent. But how does that negate its dangers? For instance, an exhaustive study in India showed that natural fluoride contributed hugely to birth defects. Did they just shrug and say, 'what can we do...' - hell no, they built massive defluoridation plants to remove this poison! And here are the dumb Irish deliberately adding it for the last 60 years... Do you honestly think that De Velera demanded proof that it was safe from the yanks when they decided to start this madness? Hell, the Irish would dump arsenic into the supplies if the Americans asked nicely enough. Sheeeeeeppppp.

The truth is, every INDEPENDENT study has shown that fluoride, be it naturally occurring, or introduced into drinking water has no basis in the claims that are made for it. Independent studies are generally unbiased, whereas those sponsored by organisations with a vested-interest, are heavily biased - this is common-sense! Now which one is most likely to be true?

Finally, two points. How can you possibly say that it's meaningless to demand proof that fluoride is safe? The onus must be on those responsible for its introduction, not the other way around! That thinking makes no sense whatsoever. And, of course it's the dose of fluoride in toothpaste that's lethal - I would have thought that went without saying! That is not the point though, the point is why in God's name are they putting something that is so lethal, in such tiny doses - we are talking milligrams - into toothpaste in the first place??? And for what, so we have a few less cavities! If they really were concerned, sugar would be outlawed ages ago, but they couldn't give a toss about our health, so it isn't.

It would be far far saner to insist that every human have all of their teeth extracted...

[QUOTE=omelette;

Omlette, please clarify for me, were you exposed to fluoride as a child or not? Do you mean you still have 26 teeth thanks to fluoride, but as a side effect you have mottled front teeth (diagnosed by a dentist as being due to excess fluoride during the formation period)

Hi. Almost missed your post. (broken quote) Probably like every other child then and most of the current population it seems, I was never made aware of the dangers of fluoride, so yes I used fluoridated-toothpaste until I was probably 25. I in no way attribute retaining 26 teeth to it, of course that's not saying that the brushing didn't help, and do blame it for the mottling. But then, you knew I was going to say that, didn't you! Ask yourself, how many programmes did RTE, courtesy of your tv-license fee, make over the past 50 years questioning the safety of fluoridation? None I'd wager! But they made plenty about its efficacy. They are the same crowd that refused to report on Paedophile priests for decades though they were fully aware of it. Little wonder I threw out my telly years ago...

Ignorance isn't a crime, but being wilfully ignorant should be, especially where it concerns the health of our children.

Hi. Almost missed your post. (broken quote) Probably like every other child then and most of the current population it seems, I was never made aware of the dangers of fluoride, so yes I used fluoridated-toothpaste until I was probably 25. I in no way attribute retaining 26 teeth to it, of course that's not saying that the brushing didn't help, and do blame it for the mottling. But then, you knew I was going to say that, didn't you! Ask yourself, how many programmes did RTE, courtesy of your tv-license fee, make over the past 50 years questioning the safety of fluoridation? None I'd wager! But they made plenty about its efficacy. They are the same crowd that refused to report on Paedophile priests for decades though they were fully aware of it. Little wonder I threw out my telly years ago...

Ignorance isn't a crime, but being wilfully ignorant should be, especially where it concerns the health of our children.

Sorry about the broken quote earlier====poor editing skills.

My question really was were you exposed to fluoride in your drinking water as a child? Toothpaste won't have been responsible for the mottling as the mottling happens prior to the erruption of the teeth.
    I don't know about RTE doing tv programs on the dangers of fluoride as I practised in Canada most of my career. (When I arrived back RTE were recommending eircom shares). I wish I'd gone to the States for those Colgate kickbacks.
    In another post you said brushing wasn't necessary for avoiding tooth decay. Did you mean there is no need to brush your teeth, or there is no need to brush with a toothpaste containing fluoride?
    When you were a child did your parents give you fluoride supplements in tablet form?

was going to post a long reply but I could not be bothered, thats because I am free to do as I please just like I am free to have white fillings if I want. When will the evil dental profession stop holding guns to peoples heads and make then accept the cheaper longer lasting silver fillings instead of the freely available in every dental surgery alternative of a composite filling.

This thread is going nowhere.

Using the phrase "I can show you studies" is weird, please reference these studies in your replies. If you dont reference whats to stop somebody saying "I read a study that show your wrong" and that is somehow supposed to hold more sway than sawing "your wrong".

I'll quote the smaller of your posts if that's ok.

First, I appreciate the lengthy response. However I am very well informed about this subject, so most of this I already knew - what I would be interested in learning more about (as I also requested from your learned colleague above) is a link to this Irish information. What I do know is that every independent study done in the USA shows little or no benefits from the use of fluoride, but a whole lot of harmful side-effects.
    Name some please, from reputable peer reviewed publications.
    'Independent' is in bold for a reason - what good is a study that is done by the likes of Colgate? The majority of studies done are sponsored by the drug companies and invariably their findings favour their profit-margins - they're worthless!!!
    Why in the hell would Colgate do a study on fluoride? What competitive advantage could that possibly give them? I think you'll find that they have developed proprietary copolymer technology for the increased retention of triclosan in biofilms to kill plaque bacteria. They have plenty of study data on that because they hold patents. They don't hold any for fluoride tech.
    yes, fluoride is found in natural water supplies everywhere to a greater or lesser extent. But how does that negate its dangers? For instance, an exhaustive study in India showed that natural fluoride contributed hugely to birth defects. Did they just shrug and say, 'what can we do...' - hell no, they built massive defluoridation plants to remove this poison!
    At what levels were the fluoride? I would guess significantly higher than 1ppm, can you quote the study so that we can read it?
    And here are the dumb Irish deliberately adding it for the last 60 years... Do you honestly think that De Velera demanded proof that it was safe from the yanks when they decided to start this madness? Hell, the Irish would dump arsenic into the supplies if the Americans asked nicely enough. Sheeeeeeppppp.
    1964 is when it started after a 9 consultative and epidemiological survey process, that makes it 47 years. Get facts straight please.
    truth is, every INDEPENDENT study has shown that fluoride, be it naturally occurring, or introduced into drinking water has no basis in the claims that are made for it. Independent studies are generally unbiased, whereas those sponsored by organisations with a vested-interest, are heavily biased - this is common-sense! Now which one is most likely to be true?
    Any scientist who reads this knows that you know very little about how scientific study and publication works. THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY!!!! Also, quote said studies.
    , two points. How can you possibly say that it's meaningless to demand proof that fluoride is safe? The onus must be on those responsible for its introduction, not the other way around! That thinking makes no sense whatsoever. And, of course it's the dose of fluoride in toothpaste that's lethal - I would have thought that went without saying! That is not the point though, the point is why in God's name are they putting something that is so lethal, in such tiny doses - we are talking milligrams - into toothpaste in the first place??? And for what, so we have a few less cavities! If they really were concerned, sugar would be outlawed ages ago, but they couldn't give a toss about our health, so it isn't.
    Where did I say any of this? Do you know the LD50 of fluoride? Bet you don't. Stop talking unfounded nonsense.
    would be far far saner to insist that every human have all of their teeth extracted...
    Would it indeed? Wow, I've suddenly changed my mind about this whole thing. You talk a lot of sense.

Since you have asked for links to the Irish data read this http://www.dohc.ie/publications/pdf/fluoridation_forum_summary.pdf, although it's not going to change your mind because your mind isn't open to it. Show me some convincing evidence that fluoride, in the doses that it is currently used in the Irish water supply and elsewhere has toxic effects. Or that the fluoride in toothpaste has toxic effects? The toothpaste that is used every day by HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of people. Go ahead.

- off-topic?... ahhh, told you so! :D

Fillings? - I think 5, maybe 6. btw, I could cite multiple animal studies that show conclusively that it's what we eat, not how often we brush (if ever!) that determines whether or not you develop cavities.
    Show studies please.
    the obvious I hear you say - well, yes, my point is that you do not hear dentists lobbying the government demanding that sugar etc. is banned. Why? 'cos you guys make a damn good living out of it! Same as you guys make plenty from financial incentives from the likes of Colgate for recommending their poison to your customers. Don't know about Ireland but the yanks average $10,000 for peddling this fluoride to their unsuspecting patients.
    The last resort of the failed argumentalist - personal attacks. Be very careful.
    going even further off-topic, my nephew got all his teeth 'lacquered' - no proper term forthcoming! - a few years ago, the promise being that he would not have to bother about tooth decay after that, and for 200-300 euro if memory serves. Well, a few months ago he had to get all the 'gunk' removed as it was flaking off of its own accord. Another dental scam...

Finally, I think it's a travesty that you consider spending a few hours to educate yourself by listening to top experts in their field as too much trouble, particularly if you are recommending this poison to people - of course you still haven't confirmed that you are a dentist! So no, I won't summarise their conclusions. You also haven't provided a link to the study...

What's interesting is that in these few posts although I have provided links to information, practically all of it has been just ignored by you 'experts'. Either you are just paid-trolls or you are woefully uneducated.

We have ignored them because they are rubbish, poorly put together opinion pieces. We subscribe to evidence based practice. You do not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

This thread is going to turn into the same rolling bar fight that always happens when either flouridation or mercury fillings cone up. To that end, I'm closing it now. Please note, I'm just going to ignore any angry pms I get accusing me of trying to push a particular point of view. It's not about that, it about the fact that these threads have been done to death, they always go the same way and the forum just runs better without them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement