Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-01-2010, 16:19   #1
westlander

Spreading lime on land

Hello,
Turns out our land needs lime more so than anything else. I have a few questions if someone could point me in the right direction:

What time of year do you spread it?
Does the contractor get the lime for you and spread it or do you need to order the lime yourself and just get it tipped at the fields that need lime?

Or any info at all would be useful

Thank you.
Advertisement
03-01-2010, 17:13   #2
whelan1
Closed Account

i got it done last year the contractor got the lime for me and then spread it , we spread it in late february hth
03-01-2010, 18:38   #3
podgey

lime

Quote:
Originally Posted by westlander View Post
Hello,
Turns out our land needs lime more so than anything else. I have a few questions if someone could point me in the right direction:

What time of year do you spread it?
Does the contractor get the lime for you and spread it or do you need to order the lime yourself and just get it tipped at the fields that need lime?

Or any info at all would be useful

Thank you.
The best time to spread is in autumn were i live u pay the quarry where the lime comes from so much a ton and that also covers contractor fee
03-01-2010, 21:58   #4
emmemm

if you know somone with a lorry considerable savings can be made.
03-01-2010, 22:13   #5
mossfort

the autumn is probaly a better time to spread because the lime sits on top for a long time before it is fully washed down.
it would be cheaper to just get the quarry to deliver or if you know someone with an 8 wheeler get them to haul it.
you can organise your own cotractor to spread or they will organise it costs the same either way.
2 years ago it cost me 18 euro per ton for the lime and 5 euro per ton to spread it.
Advertisement
03-01-2010, 22:25   #6
massey woman

Make sure you are happy with the supplier and that the lime meets the Dept of Ag spec
Some quarries mix quarry dust with the ag lime to clear stock piles of this unsaleable by product
I think the approved brand is Grolime
Get an analysis of chemical composition identifying magnesium content etc
04-01-2010, 09:00   #7
emmemm

lime is also available bagged ...avoid at all costs as about 6x dearer this way.

also avoid overdosing as some ground , especially peaty soils, can get clogged up.

Last edited by emmemm; 04-01-2010 at 09:04.
05-01-2010, 16:05   #8
westlander

OK thanks for that everyone!
How many tonnes of lime per acre do you think?
05-01-2010, 16:31   #9
cjpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by westlander View Post
OK thanks for that everyone!
How many tonnes of lime per acre do you think?

You have to get a soil test done to establish how much is required, no one can guess it for you, it depends on your fields.
Advertisement
05-01-2010, 17:30   #10
djmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmemm View Post
lime is also available bagged ...avoid at all costs as about 6x dearer this way.

also avoid overdosing as some ground , especially peaty soils, can get clogged up.
Do you mean granular lime that you can spread with a fertliser is dearer
I just heard of it last yr never used it yet
05-01-2010, 18:10   #11
emmemm

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmc View Post
Do you mean granular lime that you can spread with a fertliser is dearer
I just heard of it last yr never used it yet

that's right, why pay so much?
05-01-2010, 19:38   #12
John_F

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmemm View Post
that's right, why pay so much?
well bag lime /granlime is taken up straight away and bulk lime is in the ground a year before it is taken up we were told, so... if you rent a field for 1 year it would make sense not to just leave it for the next fella!
05-01-2010, 21:36   #13
mossfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_F View Post
well bag lime /granlime is taken up straight away and bulk lime is in the ground a year before it is taken up we were told, so... if you rent a field for 1 year it would make sense not to just leave it for the next fella!
if your renting land and it needs lime i think you should pay a price accordingly.
if you get your land tested for lime and it needs so many tonnes of grolime per acre if you were to apply the equivalent in granlime it would cost you a lot of money.
granlime is ok for very small areas.
06-01-2010, 12:10   #14
John_F

wit all due respect, in a good site hes (or she) not going to drop the price of the land because you show him some soil tests, he (or she) is going to get the money anyway like, lime is very important for a good crop to grow so if you say your going to spread no lime at all (if what they told us is correct that normal lime will take a year to be effective) and spread n p and k to what the soil tests say then thats money down the drain, it does work well if you have a short term lease and need a good crop, obviously bulk lime will be cheaper and should be applied at all means i.e if its your own land or have a long term lease or if your sure about lease in the following year,

id say the bulk lime westlander but prob earlier on in the year, saw a farmer down here doing it the week before christmas alright
04-10-2010, 22:47   #15
red bull

ground limestone

anyone know how much per ton spread or otherwise

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size