Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film Club ideas/suggestions

Options
  • 01-01-2010 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

Hello fellow film fans.
    I was thinking it might be high time we ran a sort of film society out of the forum. Nothing major now, just a means of meeting up with other film forum posters, watching a film in the cinema and then going somewhere to chat about it .
    I'm leaving the floor open to suggestions.
    How often would we meet up?
    What kind of films would we be in the habit of seeing (ie: mainstream or non mainstream)?
    Anybody interested?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I'd be interested depending on times and dates. I assume it would be Dublin based?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

fitz0 wrote: »
    I'd be interested depending on times and dates. I assume it would be Dublin based?

Yeah I suppose it would have to be Dublin based since thats where most of our posters hail from.
    Although if it's a success we could always get regional branches foor other areas going or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'm from Limerick, and wouldn't be averse to such an idea. Don't mind it being in Dublin, but I wouldn't be able to go to that many, depends on frequency. I mean, I'd end up staying overnight up there, which would be pretty expensive.

Any decent cinemas in Dublin in a walking/bus trip from The Ambassador/Fibbers/The Gate? I don't have the best knowledge of Dublin. Any times I've gone up, I've been with people who knew their way around better. (If this does end up happening, I'd like to know what the story is beforehand.)

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Any decent cinemas in Dublin in a walking/bus trip from The Ambassador/Fibbers/The Gate?

The Savoy and Cineworld are 5 and ten minutes walk from the Ambassador respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Dublin? Bah!! *clicks fingers*

Good idea, though. I hate going to the cinema with people and not being able to drivel on about cinema for hours to them. So I come here afterwards to get me fix. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Sounds like a good idea, lots of planning involved / booking tickets etc (if it's a popular film?)
    But could have some interesting discussions afterwards lol (depending on how strongly ppl felt about the film)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sounds like a good idea alright, would definitely be up for something along these lines (always meant to go to the one that was organised here a year or so ago, but never got around to it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Colour me interested.

Cineworld gets my vote since it does have an area where we could sit and talk, without having to traipse around the city (someone always gets lost!). That, and something about the Savoy has always annoyed me.*
    Living in Wicklow at the moment so getting in and out isn't a problem, I have stayed in the city centre on the cheap before though, so for people from further afield it is possible. Lots of hostels and 1-night apartment lettings around, though this would require a bit of coordination I guess.
    *It doesn't have a bar.

Well I sure as hell aint organising accomodation for anyone! :P
    I'm thinking, keep it really simple for now. Just start a thread with a time*/date/place. If anyone wants to come along they can kind of thing. Everybody sorts out their own tickets etc.

*I'd say meeting up say half an hour before the actual film would be wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

The Book folks have their book club... so makes sense for yous to have a film club! :D

Think it's a mighty idea..though I doubt I'll be able to make it :(
    Still everyone else should join in! Something different to do :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

No noisy food!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Ohh sorry folks.
    Noisy, crunchy hot nuts all the way.
    :D

I'm bringing a box of tomatoes in case the film is crap.

There are nitelink buses on Friday and Saturday to most places in Dublin. (€5)
    Here are the timetables, click your bus number for departure times from town.

image_nitelink_map.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'd be interested in this. Definitely need to get back into visiting the cinema a bit more often! Last bus is around 11:20 which can cut things a bit fine based on previous cinema trips, but as above there is the nitelink option.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well I sure as hell aint organising accomodation for anyone!
    No, no, didnt' mean to suggest that you should. If there were a people who post in the Feb thread or whatever that they'd love to make it but..., well, they can work it out between themselves if they want to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sounds interesting, it has my vote. I'm living & working in north Dublin City & Cineworld is my usual haunt for movie-going anyway

Once a month might be enough as it gives enough time to amass a selection of movies to chose from, leaving said selection open to both mainstream & indie.

Would the choice of movie be up to the members, possibly via a vote, or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Zabbo used to run a Mid week movie club and it worked very well.

We'd just put some balloons on a table in the Cineworld bar and people would meet there before the film.

The only problem you run into is that they tend not to do free seating the first week of a films release so it makes it hard to sit everyone together.

chompy wrote: »
    No noisy food!
    I'm bringing a box of tomatoes in case the film is crap.
    I like your style.
    There are nitelink buses on Friday and Saturday to most places in Dublin. (€5)
    Here are the timetables, click your bus number for departure times from town.

image_nitelink_map.gif

I suppose Friday or Saturday might be the best option since there's night links. The only downside is that the cinemas are geneally busier on those days.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Once a month might be enough as it gives enough time to amass a selection of movies to chose from, leaving said selection open to both mainstream & indie.

I think once a month is probably the best for now. I'd like to focus more on less mainstream stuff (I don't necessarily mean a Hungarian documentary about goat herding), as opposed to heading out with everyone to see the summers biggest blockbuster wich everyone sees anyhow.
    For example, when Moon was in the cinema I tried to get a few friends to go see it with me. None of them had heard of it so they all declined and we went to see something more mainstream instead (shows how good it was, I dont even remember what film it was). Only having seen Moon recently on BluRay we all missed out.
    pixelburp wrote:
    Would the choice of movie be up to the members, possibly via a vote, or what?

I'm not sure. A democratic vote might sound good in theory, but if I were to calla vote right now, chances are most people would vote for Avatar (not that I didnt like the film, but re: my point on mainstream films).
    I'm thinking maybe leave the floor open to nominations for about a week, and if something genuinely interesting shows up and gets a bit of interest going we can go for that. how does that sound?

The only problem you run into is that they tend not to do free seating the first week of a films release so it makes it hard to sit everyone together.

That's true. While pesonally I don't give a monkey's (sorry) about if im sitting beside friends or not, Im sure some people do. That's why I think we shold all meet up beforehand (maybe in the Woolshed if the film is in Cineworld for example). That way, a few people can buy tickets together, makin sure that they have someone to sit beside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I'll support/attend to the best of my ability, and I applaud your initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Guys, theres already one called Cinema Craicers @ Meetup.com

Big following, same idea, seems pretty successful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

sound cool :D me live in d4 area so i have no prob to attend some club event -

would be great if we can discuss after a movie!dont we all find it abit lonely when the friends around us have some complete different opinion about the movie you just watched?:P

the movies will have to be highly anticipated big titles tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Galvasean wrote: »
    I think once a month is probably the best for now. I'd like to focus more on less mainstream stuff (I don't necessarily mean a Hungarian documentary about goat herding), as opposed to heading out with everyone to see the summers biggest blockbuster wich everyone sees anyhow.
    For example, when Moon was in the cinema I tried to get a few friends to go see it with me. None of them had heard of it so they all declined and we went to see something more mainstream instead (shows how good it was, I dont even remember what film it was). Only having seen Moon recently on BluRay we all missed out.

I'm not sure. A democratic vote might sound good in theory, but if I were to calla vote right now, chances are most people would vote for Avatar (not that I didnt like the film, but re: my point on mainstream films).
    I'm thinking maybe leave the floor open to nominations for about a week, and if something genuinely interesting shows up and gets a bit of interest going we can go for that. how does that sound?

Sounds good; I suppose the deciding factor is what is actually playing in the cinemas. In many ways choices would be decided by the mainstream blockbuster types as they tend to dictate the amount / quality of other movies released around the same time. A nomination system sounds about the best bet

Cineworld has a coming soon page which should help somewhat. I'd second the idea that blockbusters not be eligible. In fairness, we'll all see Ironman 2 etc anyway, and the post-film discussion would just be fanboi drooling... From me at least! ;)

Glad to see so much feedback/interest already.
    I wasn't planning on doing anything 'til February, but how does the last week of January sound?
    If we were to do Friday 29th or Saturday 30th (helps due to nitelink buses) that gives us enough time to have a few nominations (check Nevore's link for upcoming movies).

So, anybody wanna throw something out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I'd like to propose The Lovely Bones as the first film. I know my friends probably won't go see it and I really can't wait to see it.

If there's something out sooner that people want to see, then by all means suggest away.

Its out on the 29th btw

Just looking at that list, a few for consideration:

The Road (8th Jan) - Supposedly getting high praise Stateside and would be an interesting choice for those (like myself) who read the book. I do get a slight whiff of Oscar baiting from it though.

Daybreakers (8th Jan) - Might be too mainstream (and may yet be utter rubbish), but the concept is interesting considering how awash pop-culture is with the toothless vampire.

Invictus (5th Feb) - The latest Clint Eastwood effort hasn't met with praise in the US, although maybe that's due to it being a rugby movie (Eastwood's apparently a big fan). Again it has a stench of Oscar worthiness.

Shutter Island (19th Feb) - The latest from Scorsese, and looks like an interesting enough thriller in its own right.

The Road, Book of Eli or Up in the Air for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Certainly some of the films mentioned in the last few posts. Also worth remembering that as time goes on the number of available screenings will drop.

Advertisement