Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming rig for approx €850?

Options
  • 21-12-2009 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey all, building a new rig and wanted to ask here about the main components.
    In an ideal world I'd like to stick to my budget but I'm willing to pay a little extra if the bang for buck is worth it.
    First time builder so all advice and suggestions are appreciated.
    Processor, Graphics, Power supply, Memory, Mainboard, Case, HDD, OS, cooling and sound card advice is all needed big time!
    Already have a 22" HDTV to play on so no need for a monitor, got a decent mouse and keyboard too so they can be left out.
    So if ye could give me some suggested builds I'd greatly appreciate it!
    Thanks in advance,
    Shanous

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

shanous wrote: »
    Hey all, building a new rig and wanted to ask here about the main components.
    In an ideal world I'd like to stick to my budget but I'm willing to pay a little extra if the bang for buck is worth it.
    First time builder so all advice and suggestions are appreciated.
    Processor, Graphics, Power supply, Memory, Mainboard, Case, HDD, sound card advice is all needed big time!
    Already have a 22" HDTV to play on so no need for a monitor, got a decent mouse and keyboard too so they can be left out.
    So if ye could give me some suggested builds I'd greatly appreciate it!
    Thanks in advance,
    Shanous

Gah why can't ebuyer have a proper cart sharing utility :(

In any case, 850 is a fair amount, especially as you do not need a Monitor. So you need an OS too or have you got one? (I will assume as you are posting on the interwebs, you have one :P)

Case:
    CM Storm Scout
    I have one and love it. Only case I would want more is the 800D, but it's £200 :P

PSU:
    Corsair HX 650
    I have this too :P Modular = Winlar. Modular + Epic Single Rail = Moar Winlar. Modular + Epic Single Rail + Corsair = A Winrar is me!!!!!

CPU:
    i5 750
    I have this too :pac::pac::pac: Best Price/Performance ratio and overclocks like a beast. You will get 3.5 easy.

CPU Cooler (because the stock fan is beyond useless):
    Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Revision 2
    I don't have this, because I have a silly Thor's hammer that results in me having to strap fans to the outside of the Case because the fan wont fit because it's too big :P This one DOES fit and It's a good Cooler though for the price and will do just fine.

Mobo:
    GA-P55A-UD3
    I have the old revision of this board, and I have to say I love mine. Got my 750 to 4Ghz no problems whatsoever. This one supports USB 3, Sata 6gb/s and triple powered USB ports.

Ram:
    Kingston ValuRamz!
    Before you go "omfg VALU RAMZ! DO NOT WANT!", this **** is the bees knees. I have mine running at 1600mhz at 10-11-11 timings. 4Gb is more than you will ever need unless you know you will need more.

HDD:
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
    OMG I WANT IT'S BABIES! (It's a good HDD. Pick up 2 or 3 if you can ;))

DVD:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/170014
    OMG! I haz this too! Bland OEM DVD for Installing Windowz and then never used again ;)

Total cost (with Delivery): £622.40 (~€700)

Use the remaining €150 to buy a ATI 5770 from somewhere (eBuyer are out of stock :()

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭shanous

thanks Leman, much appreciated. I forgot to mention an OS, my bad. Using my other crappy ancient pc for this. what OS would you recommend? Stick with XP sp3 or move up to 7? (hate Vista so thats out!)

thanks Leman, much appreciated. I forgot to mention an OS, my bad. Using my other crappy ancient pc for this. what OS would you recommend? Stick with XP sp3 or move up to 7? (hate Vista so thats out!)

If you can, get Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Stay away from "Ultimate" and the 32 bit versions :P

Otherwise, XP will be fine for now :)

thanks again for your input Leman, much appreciated. Was inching towards the 64bit pro alright, €125 on komplett it seems

thanks again for your input Leman, much appreciated. Was inching towards the 64bit pro alright, €125 on komplett it seems

Find a mate in college. You can sneak some cheap versions that way :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

if ur anywhere near donegal i can get you win7 pro x64 fairly cheap :D

/me loves being a student.

good idea, might go have a look during the week. I still have a Vista 64bit disk somewhere but its not worth lookin for.

@RMC, I'm in galway unfortunately. Good old NUIG might throw something my way! Out of curiosity how much of a differnece is there buying from the coolidge? Never actually tried before and I've been goin there for 3 years!

if ur anywhere near donegal i can get you win7 pro x64 fairly cheap :D

/me loves being a student.

That's the spirit :P

just wondering whats wrong with windows 7 ultimate 64bit as opposed to the pro version? anybody got anymore build suggestions?

just wondering whats wrong with windows 7 ultimate 64bit as opposed to the pro version? anybody got anymore build suggestions?

Pro is EXACTLY the same as Ultimate, bar a SINGLE hardware level encryption feature that is used on enterprise level hardware that costs several hundred Euro just to get a controller for, never mind the hardware itself :P

• Advertisement

Okay so I've stretched my budget to about €1000 now so if anybody can recommend parts to me that would be a big help!

Where is the best place to order from (price wise)?

Okay so I've stretched my budget to about €1000 now so if anybody can recommend parts to me that would be a big help!

Where is the best place to order from (price wise)?

ebuyer for the most part.

Would you know what are the shipping rates to Ireland are approx? sale starts today....

Would you know what are the shipping rates to Ireland are approx? sale starts today....

I've never paid more than £15. It starts at £9.99.

is that per item or all inclusive do you know?

is that per item or all inclusive do you know?

All Inclusive. :) I've ordered Hundreds of Euro from Ebuyer.

-Quickly checks-

To order a Case (which is pretty damn heavy) cost me £11 :pac:

To order a Corsair 650W HX Modular PSU, kingston DDR3 2GB ,Sony DVD±RW D, 16x DVD-R - 100 Pack Spindle was £15.

what do you think of this bundle?

Antec 1200 Full Tower Case + Antec CP 850W Modular PSU - "Exclusive Special Offer Bundle"
    £179.99

Sony AD-7240S 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM Internal SATA Black Bare Drive - OEM
    £16.42

Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
    £125.39

Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
    £220.31

Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM
    £66.68

Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Dominator Memory CL8(8-8-8--24) for i7 Motherboards
    £154.99

Total £763.78 + £14.47 shipping.

Ordering gigabyte ud5 from komplett because ebuyer dont stock it for some reason.

Ebuyer wont let me change my address from UK to Ireland though, any ideas?

what do you think of this bundle?

Antec 1200 Full Tower Case + Antec CP 850W Modular PSU - "Exclusive Special Offer Bundle"
    £179.99

Sony AD-7240S 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM Internal SATA Black Bare Drive - OEM
    £16.42

Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
    £125.39

Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
    £220.31

Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM
    £66.68

Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Dominator Memory CL8(8-8-8--24) for i7 Motherboards
    £154.99

Total £763.78 + £14.47 shipping.

Ordering gigabyte ud5 from komplett because ebuyer dont stock it for some reason.

Ebuyer wont let me change my address from UK to Ireland though, any ideas?

Drop the Antec case, it is utterly awful. And Antec PSU are crap as well. Get a coolermaster case and a corsair XH 650 PSU.

Also, what are you using the PC for? You certain you will need Hyperthreading and the Triple Channel memory?

Almost exclusively for gaming but some video editing too.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/165238

That case any good? only has 3 fans though...
    And will 650W be enough?
    Thanks for your help so far Leman

Almost exclusively for gaming but some video editing too.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/165238

That case any good? only has 3 fans though...
    And will 650W be enough?
    Thanks for your help so far Leman

Muahaha. You have good taste friend. That's the PC Case I have :pac: It has space for 2 120mm fans on the side, so buy 2 more and stick them there for great justice :D

650W is more than enough. The 57xx cards use so little power they don't actually NEED to have the PCIe power connector, they have it there just in case ;) An if you buy a corsair PSU, it's actually more like a 670W PSU ;)

• Advertisement

Okay so this is what i've settled on

CM Storm Scout case £75

Sony AD-7240S 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM Internal SATA Black Bare Drive - OEM £16

Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card £125

Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor £220

ASUS P6T iX58 Socket 1366 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard £168

Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory CL9 £120

Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache £67

Corsair 750W HX Modular PSU £107

Xilence Red Wing 120mm Quiet Fan - 3&4pin connection £5 x2

Total including shipping- £925, approx €1024

Final verdict? do I need anything else do ya think?
    Also should i use google checkout or is the ebuyer checkout okay?

Okay so this is what i've settled on

CM Storm Scout case £75

Sony AD-7240S 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM Internal SATA Black Bare Drive - OEM £16

Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card £125

Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor £220

ASUS P6T iX58 Socket 1366 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard £168

Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory CL9 £120

Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache £67

Corsair 750W HX Modular PSU £107

Xilence Red Wing 120mm Quiet Fan - 3&4pin connection £5 x2

Total including shipping- £925, approx €1024

Final verdict? do I need anything else do ya think?
    Also should i use google checkout or is the ebuyer checkout okay?

Looks good mate :)

eBuyer Checkout is fine (at least for me anyway). Did you remember to set your postcode correctly?

yup, REP123. Thanks for all the help dude, much appreciated

Advertisement