Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Gallagher on Irish Radio

Options
  • 21-12-2009 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

How is it that he is hardly ever played. Now we have all heard both U2 and Thin Lizzy countless times but why our greatest ever talent. I think that Irish radio would really need to cope on and play some Rory.

The youth of today know little of the man

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

It's a sad fact that many don't know of him, but then again, there could be a lot of music played on Irish radio that's instead ousted by heaps of tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

let's face it, there are three or four lizzy songs you'll ever hear on irish radio. likewise van morrison. what chance does rory gallagher have? still i guarantee if you had an rte/tv3 documentary about him tony fenton and every other feckwit on radio would be queueing up to gush about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

I would love to actually hear some early Lizzy on the radio( when they had Eric Bell).

Spot on about Fenton but I would just love to hear some stuff of his on the radio. Like why is it that he is never played? Is it because he shunned the limelight of the a normal bands or artists who released singles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Spot on there OP. Tis a sad thing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I never really thought about it but it's true, you never hear Rory G being played on the radio. I think but could be wrong that Dave Fanning used play Follow Me at the beginning of each of his programmes as a theme to his show about 10 years ago though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

You're right, he did. I'd forgotten this until I happened to hear the song again recently for the first time in ages. Probably longer than ten years ago, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

Follow Me was the theme tune for MT USA (forerunner to Mtv for you whippersnappers out there) back in the 80's too. I'd like to see him featured on one of the 'Essential' shows on Today fm some Sunday night at least. The man's a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

John Creedon on RTE1 plays a lot of Rory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

He gets played regularly on Planet Rock, I think you can pick it up on freesat in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How many Irish station managers/producers have even heard a Rory Gallagher song?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I dont listen to much radio, (except John Creedon now and then) for the very reasons we are discussing here. Maybe if enough people sent in requests for Rory songs... ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

thesultan wrote: »
    The youth of today know little of the man

indeed I asked my 16 yr old nephew only last week have you ever heard Rory, all I got a quizzed look on his face like who the fcuk is he

so gave him a copy of Irish tour '74 and he cant believe that he has never heard of one the finest guitar players\song writers ever, and its disgraceful that he is so unknown even in his home country.

he now has Rorys discography installed on his MP3 player, so another fan has been born. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭Rigsby

We seem to take our home grown talent (unless it's sport related) for granted. The jazz guitarist Louis Stewart is another name that you don't see or hear of too often. He is a world renowned artist, has played with a lot of the "giants" of jazz, and AFAIK, still gigs regularly in Dublin. He has being going since the early 70's, but is appreciated by only a few. :(

Maybe it's just that jazz and blues is sometimes regarded by younger people as "old man's music", or possibly that they are a minority interest genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hongler

Its a sad situation, most channels shun him entirely although I remember hearing Tom Dunne playing some of his tunes on Pet Sounds before he went to Newstalk. Brilliantly talented but seemingly forgotten. Jeez some of the sh*t played constantly on Irish radio....:(:mad::(:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

Coincidentally enough, Dave Couse played Bad Penny on his show last night. Maybe there's some hope for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Irish radio is a chart... they play chart muisc, even the alternative music is directly associated with a commercial label. Unfortunatley, Rory did most of his gigging on mainland Europe, and is played constantly on German, Dutch and French Radio. Irish DJs have poor knowledge of Gallagher's music...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

hongler wrote: »
    Its a sad situation, most channels shun him entirely although I remember hearing Tom Dunne playing some of his tunes on Pet Sounds before he went to Newstalk. Brilliantly talented but seemingly forgotten. Jeez some of the sh*t played constantly on Irish radio....:(:mad::(:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Bam! Tom Dunne plays a Rory song today along with a Thin Lizzy number :cool:

Lightening strikes twice in the space of an hour. Now all I want is some snow.

He also sang a little christmas number assisted by Mary Coughlin. Was very much a music themed show today, which was a nice change cos his show does contain alot of garbage, not that I get the chance to listen to it that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Rory Gallagher gets regular plays on Dublin City FM.When I was doing Music Junction there around 3 years ago I played him regularly myself.A great player and one I witnessed in his home town many years ago.

In regard to Louis Stewart I feature him regularly on Smooth Jazz Mondays on 4FM.Next Monday (28th.Dec.2009 9.00pm) you will hear him with the equally good Sean Hession on the Frank Ifield hit I Remember You.

Cheers and a happy Christmas.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

I try to feature him as much as possible (in fact - I never refuse a request for Rory on the show!)

Also did a special show last June on his anniversary. Listen in this Sunday night from 9 and I'll get some more on for you!

Phantom 105.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Thankfully Tom Dunne useda give Tatoo'd Lady a spin back in the day, thats how I got into RoryG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

What hit singles has he had? You don't hear Gilbert O'Sullivan being played either - just as talented!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Daughter of the Everglades was played shortly before noon on Radio One today .

He didn't release singles. I think that his stuff with Taste is great too. Didn't he do a few encores at the Isle of Wright?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

Yeah the Taste albums are brilliant. The famous encore at the Isle of Wight was "Catfish", a 14 minute epic which is on the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW5FZyls5Ts

That's a version of the song live, but not at the festival. I can't find that on youtube, shame.

This is one of my favourite Rory pieces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Hsu-A-WYM&feature=related

walk on hot coals.

Yeah the Taste albums are brilliant. The famous encore at the Isle of Wight was "Catfish", a 14 minute epic which is on the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW5FZyls5Ts

That's a version of the song live, but not at the festival. I can't find that on youtube, shame.

This is one of my favourite Rory pieces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Hsu-A-WYM&feature=related

walk on hot coals.

I adore that solo on walk on hot coals

Nolanger wrote: »
    What hit singles has he had? You don't hear Gilbert O'Sullivan being played either - just as talented!

I really dont think Rory gave a ****e about "Hit Singles".....the boy just wanted to play guitar and give people a thrill. And man did he do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Well do you not think it's a bit silly asking why Irish radio never play Gallagher's music when they only really play singles and he never released any? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bodysmart

Well do you not think it's a bit silly asking why Irish radio never play Gallagher's music when they only really play singles and he never released any? :p

I think Rory, along with Thin Lizzy, provided a contribution to Irish music which should be celebrated via regular plays on Irish radio.

While I obviously wouldn't expect his music to be played by every program on every station, I definitely think we should hear a lot more of his music on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What the hell has the singles format got to do with say Ronan Collins or Dave Fanning?

• Advertisement

Not as silly as comparing him to Gilbert O' Sullivan :p

Advertisement