Map with catchment areas for primary schools? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
18-12-2009, 23:09   #1
renatomartins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Map with catchment areas for primary schools?

Hi all,

I live in Sorrel Park (Clonsilla, Dublin 15), which is 3 mins walk from St Mochta's school. Went there for information to register my son, and was told I am not in their catchment area.

Searched all over the web for a kind of a map showing the schools and their catchment areas, but couldn't find even basics information (for instance, on the site of the school, what is their catchment area).

I know that close to my house there is:
- coolmine
- st mochta's
- castaheany educate together
- diswellstown (? is that the name? one opened recently, on the roundabout at the end of diswellstown, on the way to coolmine station)

It seems educate togethers take pre-enrollment years in advance (he's going to school only in 2012), but would be really interesting to know what is the "coverage" for each of the schools.

Thanks.
renatomartins is offline  
Advertisement
19-12-2009, 00:42   #2
Victor
Moderator
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Dublin
Posts: 64,933
The catchments are down to the patron. For Catholic schools, that usually means the parish, although its more complicated when there are more than one school in a parish or no schools in a parish.

Educate Together will have their own boundaries.

You may need to check all the local schools.
Victor is offline  
19-12-2009, 17:38   #3
Bobblehead Panda
Buddy the Elf
 
Bobblehead Panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: What's your favourite colour?
Posts: 23,403
Hi renatomartins. I have moved this thread to the Dublin 15 forum as you will get more answers here.
Bobblehead Panda is offline  
19-12-2009, 22:39   #4
Gabsdot
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 75
You should check with the schools. I think Sorrel is in the catchment area for St Philips school in Mountview.
You can put your child's name down for the ET schools as soon as they are born and you should as there tends to be a high demand for places. My son goes to Tyrrelstown ET school and there are 200 children on the waiting list for 2010.
Gabsdot is offline  
20-12-2009, 11:14   #5
Gaspode
Woof!
 
Gaspode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sean Sherlock's Licky End
Posts: 5,178
Some of the schools have their catchment marked out on a local map, so ask for a copy whenever you're up at any school.
Gaspode is offline  
Advertisement
20-12-2009, 15:30   #6
suey71
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 799
Op I feel your pain.

I live in Limelawn, which is the nearest school to St. Mochtas, and we are not entitled to send our kids there. It amazes me that the St.Mochtas catchment area extends to Castleknock on one side and down past Ongar in the other direction, taking in Mount Simon and Portersgate along the way.

From the railings of my estate to the front wall of St.mochtas is at most 50 feet.

We had a problem getting our son into St.Mochtas but we persisted over a period of 2 years and eventually we got him in.
Most of the parents in Limelawn send their children to St. Mochtas.
Just persist.

The person you have to get around is the School Secretary, as she controls the request for school entrants before the principle sees them, just keep going over again and again.

If you cant get your child in, send him to Laurel Lodge School, thats what some Limelawn residents did.

If St.Mochtas was reserved for local children we wouldn't have the traffic congestion outside Limelawn in the mornings and afternoons.

I believe that the parents that live near St.patricks in Carpenterstown have a similar problem getting their kids into that school.

The Parish boundaries for this whole area where written up over a hundred years ago and they should be updated.

Its terrible that local kids cant go to local schools.
suey71 is offline  
22-12-2009, 22:25   #7
Luttrell1975
Registered User
 
Luttrell1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by suey71 View Post
Op I feel your pain.

I live in Limelawn, which is the nearest school to St. Mochtas, and we are not entitled to send our kids there. It amazes me that the St.Mochtas catchment area extends to Castleknock on one side and down past Ongar in the other direction, taking in Mount Simon and Portersgate along the way.

From the railings of my estate to the front wall of St.mochtas is at most 50 feet.

We had a problem getting our son into St.Mochtas but we persisted over a period of 2 years and eventually we got him in.
Most of the parents in Limelawn send their children to St. Mochtas.
Just persist.

The person you have to get around is the School Secretary, as she controls the request for school entrants before the principle sees them, just keep going over again and again.

If you cant get your child in, send him to Laurel Lodge School, thats what some Limelawn residents did.

If St.Mochtas was reserved for local children we wouldn't have the traffic congestion outside Limelawn in the mornings and afternoons.

I believe that the parents that live near St.patricks in Carpenterstown have a similar problem getting their kids into that school.

The Parish boundaries for this whole area where written up over a hundred years ago and they should be updated.

Its terrible that local kids cant go to local schools.
I have to say I agree with you. We have cousins in England and two are teachers. There is a much better system. The school allocates places to a geographic area. No cherry picking by parents and trumped up teachers or secretaries. Its fairer in the end of the day.
Luttrell1975 is offline  
23-12-2009, 19:13   #8
oblivious
Registered User
 
oblivious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The wild west, Dublin
Posts: 3,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luttrell1975 View Post
No cherry picking by parents and trumped up teachers or secretaries. Its fairer in the end of the day.
Really, house prices have risen beside good schools because people want to move into the area.
oblivious is offline  
23-12-2009, 22:35   #9
suey71
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 799
I have neighbours on my road in these "good schools" and when asked how they where accepted they said " My Husband is a heart surgeon".

Why is there a section on the application form for the school that asks for the parents occupation?

Surely it doesn't matter what job the parents have, at least it shouldn't matter.

Not only where these kids accepted into a good school in the area but the were accepted into a school 2 miles away from their estate, and in a different parish.

Its the schools that are cherry picking..
suey71 is offline  
Advertisement
24-12-2009, 13:49   #10
daymobrew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dublin 15
Posts: 5,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
The catchments are down to the patron. For Catholic schools, that usually means the parish, although its more complicated when there are more than one school in a parish or no schools in a parish.
The joint enrolment policy for St. Patrick's/St Mochta's is quite a read - it runs 8 pages!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Educate Together will have their own boundaries.
ET schools are first come, first served. As the Pre-Enrolment Officer for Carpenterstown ET, we accept pre-enrolment forms regardless of location. There aren't enough ET schools to have catchment areas.
I encourage you to pre-enrol for your nearest ET school. You don't have to accept a place if you are offered one.

The catchments should be radially with the school at the centre.
I won't make any more comments because the whole situation annoys me.
daymobrew is offline  
Thanks from:
24-12-2009, 23:05   #11
mink_man
Banned
 
mink_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Galway
Posts: 4,536
id like to know this too...
mink_man is offline  
26-12-2009, 17:33   #12
Luttrell1975
Registered User
 
Luttrell1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivious View Post
Really, house prices have risen beside good schools because people want to move into the area.
Thats true. It does happen. But house prices here were stupidly high for 15 years across the board. Now that they are all falling what relevance is that? Surely you would like to know that:

(a) once you live somewhere there is a list of designated schools for that area
(b) there's no nonsense with who may apply, no time wasted and no hard feelings
Luttrell1975 is offline  
28-12-2009, 02:18   #13
lostexpectation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,976
the dept of ed have fancy new gis mapping system, for schools/population/area etc, if you asked them about your house..?, they should map some of the info public, it would allow citizen to start up new schools quiker rather then the dept going to the church all the time., is there a parish map, best one i think maybe the irishtimes genealogy site

Last edited by lostexpectation; 28-12-2009 at 02:26.
lostexpectation is offline  
28-12-2009, 16:01   #14
oblivious
Registered User
 
oblivious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The wild west, Dublin
Posts: 3,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luttrell1975 View Post
Thats true. It does happen. But house prices here were stupidly high for 15 years across the board. Now that they are all falling what relevance is that? Surely you would like to know that:

(a) once you live somewhere there is a list of designated schools for that area
(b) there's no nonsense with who may apply, no time wasted and no hard feelings
it was in reference to the English system where a good post code usually but not always had better schools, not the Irish situation
oblivious is offline  
05-01-2010, 04:01   #15
BostonB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by suey71 View Post
...

If St.Mochtas was reserved for local children we wouldn't have the traffic congestion outside Limelawn in the mornings and afternoons.

I believe that the parents that live near St.patricks in Carpenterstown have a similar problem getting their kids into that school.

The Parish boundaries for this whole area where written up over a hundred years ago and they should be updated.

Its terrible that local kids cant go to local schools.
Its not really a parish boundary as St patricks and Mochtas are in the same parish no? The problem is they've made catchment area's with the school at one end not the middle. Daft really because it means theres loads of people beside a school they can't go to, but people a mile away can, and will thus drive to it.

Maybe its coincidence but all it really has achieved is to pull more of the more expensive areas into St.Patricks catchment. Otherwise they'd have to go elsewhere as there wouldn't be room. Perhaps that unfair, and the way they done it is more fair if you look at the bigger picture. We got a cancellation to get into our nearest school. Places in a few schools are held by parent as backups for other schools which are their first choice. So a few places free up last minute. Sometimes.

If you've lived in the area a good few years and its always been your parish, perhaps you've grown up in the area yourself. Its seems strange that you can lose your place to someone whos just moved into the catchment, lives further way, and might not even be of the same belief. What it also means is the kids on a road end up going to a whole variety of different schools which isn't ideal. They won't live near their school friends etc.

The problem really is the Govt complete failure to provide enough schools places of whatever belief (or none) as required.
BostonB is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet