Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Article: Older cars could face annual NCT test

Options
  • 16-12-2009 10:13am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Older cars could face annual NCT test

16/12/2009 - 08:13:57

If your car is 10 years old or more, you could face having to do an NCT every year.

It has been reported a raft of changes to the National Car Testing system are being proposed, but there is no word on when they could take effect.

The Transport Minister is to consider draft legislation on the changes in the coming weeks.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/text/ireland/eymhideyeymh/

I wonder how old is "older"!
    SIMI must be delighted with themselves these days.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm getting even more dense in my old age!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

It's in the Times motoring section today, with a suggestion that it's already approved and will kick in January. I have to say I'm inclide to suspect that it's part of the governments plan to help the garages by making the scrapage scheme look more attractive.

Paddy

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2009/1216/1224260753473.html
    CARS OVER 10 years old will have to be tested every year under changes to the National Car Test approved by the Minister for Transport. Noel Dempsey has also effectively banned excessively tinted car windows and noisy exhausts under the changes due to come into effect in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Having a car in this category, I can play devil's advocate to the gumment here.

A large percentage of people wouldn't even notice one wheel hanging off until it was pointed out to them. With a car that old they have decided that it's not worth maintaining/check various things. These people need to be forced to keep their vehicles safe(r).

Then again, there's practically minded people with perfectly safe serviceable vehicles, that will just be inconvenienced by this.
    What I'm worried about here is that the Glasrai will tighten up emissions specs.
    I have no problem with being pulled up on a safety aspect, but if stricter emissions force me or others out of a 10yr+ car with multiple airbags ABS etc, and into poverty spec 03 s**tbox with zero safety features??? with all due respect, eff you na Glasrai, eff you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

They cannot surely apply the same criteria to a car 50 years old that they do to a four year old one. Can they? That'd put everything more than, say, 20 years old off the road permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

:rolleyes:

More pocket-lining for the friends of the government in the motor industry. So because they can see now that their "incentive" is nothing but a whole pile of crap, they're going to push people with otherwise perfectly safe and functional vehicles into debt in order to prop up car sales.

Even the AA has said that this is completely unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

nipplenuts wrote: »
    They cannot surely apply the same criteria to a car 50 years old that they do to a four year old one. Can they? That'd put everything more than, say, 20 years old off the road permanently.
    Thats the idea presumably! This will suit the scrappage (as mentioned) and also the Greens

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Not sure about the rest of Europe, but for as long as I remember, in the UK all cars over 3 years old are subject to the MOT every year.

It's not such a big deal tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The Greens. It was a black, black day those looneys got into power. The country is buggered because of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You can only ever test a car to the criteria that applied when it was made.
    If it still runs within the paramters that applied when it left the factory, everything should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

This is the way it has been with commercials.

You would be very surprised at the number of year old vans/jeeps that fail their first test.

They often come back a year later and fail it again. I would have no problem with having the test an annual thing.

I would have 2 stipulations though.

*Tests should be available within a week or 2 of booking.

*Test should run 12 months from the day of testing not the registration date. That is a pure bullschit carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Vintage vehicles (cars over 30 years old) are NCT exempt, so this won't happen. Pre 93 cars already have different emission standards due to not needing a cat.

Completely cynical move to get people to scrap their cars imo!

kdevitt wrote: »
    Vintage vehicles (cars over 30 years old) are NCT exempt, so this won't happen.

Who's to say that that won't change?
    Looking at some of the "classics" on the road, it mightn't be a bad idea either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

R.O.R wrote: »
    Not sure about the rest of Europe, but for as long as I remember, in the UK all cars over 3 years old are subject to the MOT every year.

It's not such a big deal tbh.

I think it's not as big a deal in the UK because as I understand it you can get it done in your local garage at any time - you don't have to wait for appointments and travel to a limited number of centers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Completely cynical move to get people to scrap their cars imo!

gan dabht

Having said that, it may encourage people to fix their cars rather than just sitting waiting for them to die. It's harder to scrap a roadworthy car that's been given some maintenance every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Don't really have a problem with this... My car will soon be 11 years motoring and only ever failed due to a minor thing.

Probably a good thing for car sales too. People tend to be nervous buying a car almost out of NCT 2 years, when it comes around more often they may be a bit more assuaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Thoie wrote: »
    I think it's not as big a deal in the UK because as I understand it you can get it done in your local garage at any time - you don't have to wait for appointments and travel to a limited number of centers.

No doubt the current crowd will do everything backwards and bring in a yearly NCT before creating any new test centres, causing the whole system to clog up.

peasant wrote: »
    Who's to say that that won't change?

IrishTimes - "But the authority has not suggested that vintage cars aged over 30 years should be included in the testing regime." So doesn't look like it'll change in the near future.
    Looking at some of the "classics" on the road, it mightn't be a bad idea either

Can't really disagree - but there are going to be practicality issues with certain cars - can't imagine a Model T Ford passing the test with flying colours. Maybe a basic roadworthyness test would be more appropriate. Think I'm getting slightly off the point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭-maccer-

By testing cars yearly the government will be doubling the number of nct tests required in the country. Can it even cope with this capacity? Can see it already 4 to 6 month waiting lists for nct tests. Chaos.

More inconvenience and unessesary expense on the motorist in my opinion. I don't know the stats but from my experiences and my friends with cars over 10 years old failing the nct is quite common. Wouldn't be surprised to end up in a situation where you end up down the nct centre 4 times in two years.....

cantdecide wrote: »
    gan dabht

Having said that, it may encourage people to fix their cars rather than just sitting waiting for them to die. It's harder to scrap a roadworthy car that's been given some maintenance every year.

Yes - but if you have a 9 year old car which will soon require annual inspections, but currently has bi-annual, it may encourage the easily scared into sending the car to the big scrap heap in the sky.

Its a shame to see the cars that end up getting destroyed.

Yes - but if you have a 9 year old car which will soon require annual inspections, but currently has bi-annual, it may encourage the easily scared into sending the car to the big scrap heap in the sky.

Its a shame to see the cars that end up getting destroyed.

Totally irrational though.
    My current daily driver will be twenty next year and so far has flown through two NCT tests without issues (and should continue doing so, hopefully)

• Advertisement

Totally irrational though.
    My current daily driver will be twenty next year and so far has flown through two NCT tests without issues (and should continue doing so, hopefully)

Of course its totally irrational! :D But it happens -

This is a car that went for scrappage in the Uk btw:

09I9B285924051AA.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What exactly is the motivation for this? Is this not a blatant revenue generation exercise?

The NCT brought in as a way to make the roads safer yeah? Yet a tiny % of accidents are due to vehicle failures, aren't they. So why would this be needed annually if there is no problem with safety.

Is there a report stating that cars over 10 years old are more of a threat (to other road users) on the roads.

Sure older cars have less safety features but an NCT isn't going to fit some additional airbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There's a couple of other interesting changes coming in the NCT, including
    Tyres will also have to have an “E” mark, certifying that their grip and performance meets international standards. This follows moves by the department to restrict the sale and supply of retreaded tyres.

But still no plans for recording mileage at test.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Thoie wrote: »

On the mainland yes, NI is 10 DVTA test centres.

Annual would be fine, if it's 12 months from last test, not registration birthday. Over 30s I wouldn't have an issue with, if the testers were tame. I seen some shockingly baldy tyres at shows.

Have they got round to testing motorcycles yet? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Vegeta wrote: »
    The NCT brought in as a way to make the roads safer yeah? Yet a tiny % of accidents are due to vehicle failures, aren't they. So why would this be needed annually if there is no problem with safety.

The pass rate on cars 10 years and older is 32% (according to the IT article). Now some of this may be down to misaligned headlights, but the impression given is that older cars are not being maintained to the standard they should be (to anyone reading this with a 10 yr + car, of course I don't mean you, I know you look after your like your first born ;)).

Of course the extra revenue can't hurt either.

At least my oldy won't fail on any of this :D
    The final change to the car test is that malfunction warning lights for airbags, electronic and anti-lock braking systems and electronic stability control will be checked. The vehicle will fail if these don’t work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

More money :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

phutyle wrote: »
    The pass rate on cars 10 years and older is 32% (according to the IT article). Now some of this may be down to misaligned headlights, but the impression given is that older cars are not being maintained to the standard they should be (to anyone reading this with a 10 yr + car, of course I don't mean you, I know you look after your like your first born ;)).

Of course the extra revenue can't hurt either.

Found it

http://www.ncts.ie/test_stats.html

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In Sweden a brand new car is inspected after 3 years, then after 2, then every year. About the same price as here.
    The MOT is yearly.

It'll help get some of the worst rust buckets off the road.

I like the ban on noisy exhausts, fekking ricers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

phutyle wrote: »

I was in getting my 20 year old yoke NCT'd yesterday. It passed, despite a blowing exhaust that I'd assumed would mean a fail. My attitude to the NCT is that it's a handy/cheap means of generating a fix list for the garage - so it's failed before, but on stupid stuff like the aforementioned misaligned lights. I'm surprised that the fail rate is so low tbh.

Saw a five year old car fail in the test centre yesterday on a blown indicator bulb - you have to wonder how the owner didn't check beforehand.

Advertisement