Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish cycle lanes

• 14-12-2009 1:18am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've renamed the flickr group to Documenting Irish Cycle Lanes, the address is still: http://www.flickr.com/groups/dublincyclelanes/. Dublin Cycling Campaign have also started to add their photos to the pool, and help from anybody out there is welcomed.

It's to document poorly designed or poorly maintained Irish cycle tracks, or examples of parking on cycle tracks (this is more useful where you know that parking legal or otherwise always takes place in the location).

Here's how you can help:

DIY
    • When logged in:
    • Upload images of cycle tracks
    • Name photo by date and road, town/city (ie 2009-11-15 Doughiska Rd, Galway)
    • 'Geotag', in other words, add the images to a map. If you go to a photo page when you're logged in, you should see 'add to map' allong the right hand side, as here you see "Taken in Ringsend, Dublin (map)". This is a requirement before adding images to the group.
    • Go to the group page and sign up to the group.
    • Go to the 'organize' page, select the photos, click on 'send to group'
    • Please also try to tag your images and in the description detail what is wrong with the cycle track
    Or post images here or send them to me
    • If sending then, email me at cian.ginty@gamestoaster.com
    • I can upload them to my flickr account
    • Let me know if you want to be credited or not, boards or read name etc
    • Detail what is wrong with the cycle track
    • Detail the location of the cycle track as best as you can so I can add it to the map
    • Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Great idea to include all the craziness from around the country. Judging by the lifts from boards (image of Doughiska Road in Metro is from one of the threads here), the worst ones may welll get into the mainstream media eventually. If their shortcomings are more generally recognised (and ridiculed), I guess there's a better chance that better ones will be built. Or just fewer bad ones will be built, maybe.

Ah, I see that that Doughiska Road image is reproduced on your flickr group.

Great work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Nice to see Dublin Cycling Campaign were quick with the Samuel Beckett Bridge and surrounding area. The 'first-class cycleway' is anything but.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

What's going on with the map in the Flickr group - I thought there used to be more photos on it.

Is anyone else seeing O'Connel St. labelled "Ruta Uganda" (and Abbey St. is Ruta Serrana!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Morgan wrote: »
    Is anyone else seeing O'Connel St. labelled "Ruta Uganda" (and Abbey St. is Ruta Serrana!)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_Brazil

The whole country has been subsumed, the renaming of streets is well underway. Better get used to cycling on the right and looking over your other shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

This featured in the Sunday Tribune yesterday

Blowfish wrote: »
    Nice to see Dublin Cycling Campaign were quick with the Samuel Beckett Bridge and surrounding area. The 'first-class cycleway' is anything but.
    http://www.dublincycling.ie/beckettbridge

Seems to be quite a mess. I imagine that any cyclist who tries to use the bus lane with the home-made "bus only" sign will be harrassed by bus drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I've made my own small contribution to the Flickr stream, it's a great idea and will motivate to stop and take more pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

tomasrojo wrote: »

That's shocking (and I'm not easily shocked by irish cycling facilities anymore). I have sent an email to DCC Traffic (traffic@dublincity.ie) and cc'd my local councillor to let them know. I'd encourage everyone else to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Seems to be quite a mess. I imagine that any cyclist who tries to use the bus lane with the home-made "bus only" sign will be harrassed by bus drivers.
    Thankfully that shouldn't be too bad for the moment as there aren't actually any bus routes that use it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

That really is quite an impressive number of things wrong in such a small area: "urban density" Dublin City Council style.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Blowfish wrote: »

I was down there starting to take pictures when I spotted the person from the cycle campaign, so I left him at it. Spot me posing behind the HGV as it passed to demonstrate a cyclist's position within a blind spot in the dangerously short advance stop line.
    concussion wrote: »
    I've made my own small contribution to the Flickr stream, it's a great idea and will motivate to stop and take more pics.

Thanks! Every little helps, even more so now that the group is national. I don't get out of Dublin much! :)
    markpb wrote: »
    That's shocking (and I'm not easily shocked by irish cycling facilities anymore). I have sent an email to DCC Traffic (traffic@dublincity.ie) and cc'd my local councillor to let them know. I'd encourage everyone else to do the same.

I was really shocked by seeing it on the opening night. There's so much wrong with it and the paths to / from it (some of which is the Docklands Development Authority's fault rather than the city council's). It's dangerous, confusing, and just plan wrong.
    Morgan wrote: »
    What's going on with the map in the Flickr group - I thought there used to be more photos on it.

There's two issues there with the maps -- some of the text content seems plain wrong. I'm guessing this is something wrong with Yahoo Maps (Yahoo own flickr).

While, all the photos are not appearing on the map is the other issues -- I'm not sure if this is a change with flick or if the amount of images displayed as the group gets bigger (now just over 300 pics -- some different photos just showing details of the same problem). As, at least a stop-gap measure, search 'cycle' while in the map and it'll show photos from me and a few others (I've asked DCC to add cycle as a tag to their images too).

Advertisement