Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cyclist on M8 this morning

Options
  • 12-12-2009 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Just wondering did anyone else see the cyclist on the M8 this morning between Glanmire and Watergrasshill.

2nd time I've seen this person on the same stretch of road at the same time on a Saturday morning (around 9AM) within the last 3 weeks.

If this cyclist is a regular to cycling on this stretch of motorway, I might give a ring to Glanmire Garda station the next time I see him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭TimAllen

Just wondering did anyone else see the cyclist on the M8 this morning between Glanmire and Watergrasshill.

2nd time I've seen this person on the same stretch of road at the same time on a Saturday morning (around 9AM) within the last 3 weeks.

If this cyclist is a regular to cycling on this stretch of motorway, I might give a ring to Glanmire Garda station the next time I see him.

A rare enough sight thats for sure. Though I did see a cyclist on the M1 a while back. There's no justification or need for it - putting him/her self in harms way like that is pretty dumb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

What was worse than him being on the motorway was the fact that he was practically cycling on the solid yellow line. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I know a lot of racers that use the motor way to train. Not saying it's ok to do but that's probably what he's doing.

The guards wont do much, they usually tell them they're not aloud on the motor way and ask them to leave, nothing more being said.

What was worse than him being on the motorway was the fact that he was practically cycling on the solid yellow line. Crazy stuff.
    Never mind calling the gardai - the "men in white coats" would be more appropriate - thats suicidal!
    The thing I cant understand about a cyclist engaging in this kind of behaviour, putting him/herself in mortal danger for nothing! A cycle on a regular road would I'm sure, offer far more in terms of scenery etc and would be legal and (relatively) safe.
    I think there are some cyclists out there who feel aggrieved that they are not allowed to cycle on a motorway and choose to break the law as a form of protest. There's no accounting for the intellect of some of these tree hugging anarchist types!

CianRyan wrote: »
    I know a lot of racers that use the motor way to train. Not saying it's ok to do but that's probably what he's doing.

The guards wont do much, they usually tell them they're not aloud on the motor way and ask them to leave, nothing more being said.

Yep, the man looked like he was training.

What I don't understand is that there is the R639 (old N8) which has basically no traffic on it between Glanmire and Watergrasshill which would be far more suited to the cyclist.

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »

yeah, until there's a fatality, which is inevitable if the OP's description of the cyclist's behaviour is accurate:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

To be honest, I'd feel safer cycling on a motorway than on most other roads in this country!

I'm not justifying his actions though, it is illegal after all.

Yep, the man looked like he was training.

What I don't understand is that there is the R639 (old N8) which has basically no traffic on it between Glanmire and Watergrasshill which would be far more suited to the cyclist.
    a "serious" cyclist - they're the worst, knows all the rules of the road but decides which ones apply to him and which can be ignored.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Rougies wrote: »
    Is it an actual punishable offence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

To be honest, I'd feel safer cycling on a motorway than on most other roads in this country!

i agree

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    Is it an actual punishable offence?

I'm not sure about that. I'd say it would take a LOT of getting caught by the same Garda for anything to happen, and then probably only a warning.

Tigger wrote: »
    i agree
    with feeling safer cycling on a motorway? With cars travelling at 120kmh and trucks at 80kmh within a couple of feet of you? With long gaps between exits?
    With a collision being almost guaranteed to be fatal?:eek:

The chances of getting hit on a motorway are far lower than on any other road with traffic. That counts for vehicle collisions too.

The chances of getting hit on a motorway are far lower than on any other road with traffic.
    as cyclists have never been allowed onto motorways, any statistics relating to collisions involving other traffic types are meaningless in the context of cyclist safety. Maybe the low rate of collisions is partly down to the fact that cyclists, pedestrians and other slow moving traffic are not allowed on the motorway.

TimAllen wrote: »
    as cyclists have never been allowed onto motorways, any statistics relating to collisions involving other traffic types are meaningless in the context of cyclist safety. Maybe the low rate of collisions is partly down to the fact that cyclists, pedestrians and other slow moving traffic are not allowed on the motorway.

That's true, but I'm calculating the odds based on the statistics of accidents involving vehicles on motorways compared with other roads.

that made me giggle

stastical analysis at its best

very few bikes on motorways = very few hit

with feeling safer cycling on a motorway? With cars travelling at 120kmh and trucks at 80kmh within a couple of feet of you? With long gaps between exits?
    With a collision being almost guaranteed to be fatal?:eek:

if you cycle on a n rioad cars are doing 120 (rightly or wrongly) and trucks are douing 80 anyway
    motorways are wider and straighter

definatly safer

if you cycle on a n rioad cars are doing 120 (rightly or wrongly) and trucks are douing 80 anyway

definatly safer

Yep, and I'd much rather cycle on a straight road with a lane completely to myself, thus eliminating the need for cars/trucks to overtake me, especially on bends.

Yep, and I'd much rather cycle on a straight road with a lane completely to myself, thus eliminating the need for cars/trucks to overtake me, especially on bends.

If only this particular cyclist used the lane. He was practically on the yellow line.

i've noticed that my self
    i think the edge is full of stuff that'llo hurt thier tyres

• Advertisement

If only this particular cyclist used the lane. He was practically on the yellow line.

Well you can cycle faster on the line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

definatly safer

sometimes I just despair :rolleyes:

That's true, but I'm calculating the odds based on the statistics of accidents involving vehicles on motorways compared with other roads.
    yes and the problem with that is, the statistics are meaningless. I mean, you could say the same for pedestrians, horse riding, or any other roaduser and arrive at the same conclusion, using stats in such a flawed fashion - do you really think the motorway would be as safe if such users were allowed to use them?

@ peasent
    whadda you mean

its definatly safey to cycle on the hard shoulder of a motor way then on the n17 between sligo and tubbercurry true or false

@ peasent
    whadda you mean

its definatly safey to cycle on the hard shoulder of a motor way then on the n17 between sligo and tubbercurry true or false
    I see some of that sentence is in english - what other language are you using? E,g "whadda" "definatly" and "safey":D
    Is there a motorway alternative from Sligo to Tubbercurry?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Never mind calling the gardai - the "men in white coats" would be more appropriate - thats suicidal!
    The thing I cant understand about a cyclist engaging in this kind of behaviour, putting him/herself in mortal danger for nothing! A cycle on a regular road would I'm sure, offer far more in terms of scenery etc and would be legal and (relatively) safe.
    I think there are some cyclists out there who feel aggrieved that they are not allowed to cycle on a motorway and choose to break the law as a form of protest. There's no accounting for the intellect of some of these tree hugging anarchist types!
    So, what is your diagnosis for drivers that park on the footpath?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Chill out lads ,while Im not saying I APPROVE of this ,far worse things happen on our roads...It clearly states at motorway entry points "No vehicles under 30mph "(or did, pre metric)...A good 'racer' should be able to do that with a decent tailwind...No motorway could be as 'cyclist lethal' as the N4 westbound just before Liffey Valley...or 25-50% of the national road network come to think of it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Victor wrote: »
    So, what is your diagnosis for drivers that park on the footpath?

Are there footpaths on the motorway? Because that's what this thread is about.
    I see some of that sentence is in english - what other language are you using? E,g "whadda" "definatly" and "safey":D

This is not the English forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

i used to cycle the arklow gorey bypass till they made it a motorway.
    It was great for training if a little boring.
    I would still cycle it iif allowed...there isnt any real greater danger involved.
    20kmh higher speed...but lets face it...if your hit at 100kmh your f$*ked anyway....so 20kmh extra dont make a hoot of a difference.(everyone was speeding on it before anyway)
    I actually dont realy have any good roads to train on anymore since the n11 was made a motorway on that section.....secondry roads are lethal on the dark evenings...motorway is definetly safer.
    To anyone who cant get thier head around it....go out cycling for a few weeks and youl understand. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Is there a motorway alternative from Sligo to Tubbercurry?

Get a life dude:confused:

Advertisement