Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding missing channels - W7 Media Centre

Options
  • 10-12-2009 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

When I set up my TV card within W7 Media centre, I'm given a few options along the way. I have a UPC analog cable going into the TV card.

1st, I can choose analog, and WMC scans for the available channels and finds the 21 or so that I can access. Great.. except it only gives me guide listings for RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4.. so recording is problem.

2nd.. I can choose cable, and it asks me which company I'm with so it can match the listings to the channels. I choose Waterford, NTL, and it sets up the channels and off I go. I've got full guide listings... except... It doesnt find RTE1, Setanta, or Sky News! I get the option to add the missing channels by putting in their frequency in MHz but I've no clue where to find that info.

Is there any way of getting the full list of channels available to UPC Analog, and linking them to valid TV listings?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭kdobey

Use your TV's tuner which will give you a channel number.
    Use the wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_channel_frequencies
    to map between the channel number and the freq. - be sure to use the table for Ireland.

If you don't get epg you can use the edit channel page in MC to map correctly - however it's easier to use the Guide Tool http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool ("subscribe" channels to EPG data)

I've a slightly different problem with my analogue cable - seems my tuners won't tune to the some channels which are on the top of the freq. scale - I've got RTE on 495.25 and unmapped scan won't find it and manually entering won't tune it (so it seems). (only a problem since i switch to win7)

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks for that. I found that RTE 1 was at 506Mhz on a list on the net somewhere but WMC 7 wouldnt let me enter that.

It finds RTE1 fine if I do the antenna search, it just wont give me the channels to match to a guide beyond RTE1, RTE2, TV3, and TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭kdobey

I wouldn't trust any list on the net to be honest. Are your sure it's for your region. UPC could (and probably do) use different frequencies for different regions (probably so as not to get interference from local transmitters).

And - 506 is a funny frequency anyways. according to wikipedia
    Channel 25 is on 503.25 (Video) 509.25 (Audio)

I've never been clear on what MC expects - the middle freq, the video or the audio freq.

I've had issues entering frequency manually - some times it says "Can not enter that number" (or some such error message) however - exiting media center and restarting usually works to get the manual frequency in - but it still doesn't work :(

Apart from that GuideTool as mentioned is your friend - you should be able to fill the epg THAT way.

What kind of card you using?

When you say antenna scan I guess you mean not on your cable so your picking up RTE from your local transmitter ? is this true ? which will (probably) not be up at 506 mhz ? If that's the problem then it sounds like you have the same problem as me !!

My guess is that the downloaded regional information tells media center what range is in use in that region - however for UPC cable this range is wrong !

My missing channels are
    RTE 1 (C24 or 495.25Mhz)
    TV3 (C25 or 503.25Mhz)
    3e (C27 or 519.25Mhz)

which - as i happens are the last three channels (i.e. highest frequencies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks a lot for the help. I've managed to get it to scan under the antenna option which found more channels even though I have a physical NTL cable going into the TV card. I used the guide tool above then to match the channels to the guide. Much easier! Thanks again.

Advertisement