Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medal Of Honour is back!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

EA couldn't just stand by and watch the success of MW2 without wanting a slice of the pie. Having said that as a publisher, EA are going from strength to strength quality wise and I can see Medal Of Honour being massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

I was a massive fan of the Medal of Honour franchise until it died with Pacific Assault. However, when Call of Duty 1 came out, it offered a unique scenario for the player; and that was large scale warfare with many, many troops on screen at the one time.

MoH was always about the one man hero who went behind enemy lines.
    CoD was about squad combat and working as a team rather than a one-man army.

Nevertheless, CoD's role has changed of late to being more about a one man army with regards MW2.

I wonder will MoH attempt to offer players massive on screen battles with hundreds of soldiers at the same time? Most importantly, they need to give players a thorough and vibrantly long single player campaign. I guess what I am trying to say is, MoH and CoD played off each other's weaknesses for years while they both existed, if this continues, MoH could become to new CoD that rejuvenates or revitalises the shooter genre, much like CoD did back in 2003 or whenever it was.

DICE at the helm ensures a great multiplayer, hopefully not too disimilar to Bad Company and BF1943. I just hope EA make MoH a polished and thorough SP game, that can fall back on an inevitably, impeccable MP.

I remain hopeful that a favourite series can come back with the same enthusiasm as it entered the FPS arena with Allied Assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Dice and EA made the battlefield franchise so successful, that is enough for me to say that if done right this game has the potential to knock call of duty out!

I have a feeling they will use activisions restrictions on online on the PC versions to win the PC gamers back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

the new first-person shooter follows the Tier 1 Operator, described as "a relatively unknown entity directly under the National Command Authority who takes on missions no one else can handle,"

I'm interested although it sounds a little too 'gung-ho' when you're the one man army thing.

I'll be keeping an eye on this. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Just a useless bit of trivia. I knew the teaser poster was familiar though!

http://kotaku.com/5417604/medal-of-honor-soldier-evokes-real-afghanistan-warrior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Would like to see the series return to form alright. Last 2 games wheren't good at all, couldn't complete either of them.

Really can't see what they could possibly do to steal the feather from CoD's cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

chin_grin wrote: »

http://kotaku.com/5417604/medal-of-honor-soldier-evokes-real-afghanistan-warrior
    Man. The dude is only 21. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I still play MOHAA in leagues to this day.
    Every title after that was a dissapointment in MP, especially Airborne.

Hopefully this finally comes good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

excellant news will this be available for all consoles?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

chin_grin wrote: »

Typical yank special forces, grows a beard to make him less conspicuous and then has the shades with the backwards baseball cap. He might as well be carrying an american flag with him. Remember reading a piece from a former SAS soldier that hated serving with them because they were more intent on cultivating a look rather than blending in.

Loved the MOD:AA, even preferred it to the original COD despite it being the created by pretty much the same team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

the_syco wrote: »
    Man. The dude is only 21. Ouch.

Where does it say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Killinator

Typical yank special forces, grows a beard to make him less conspicuous and then has the shades with the backwards baseball cap. He might as well be carrying an american flag with him. Remember reading a piece from a former SAS soldier that hated serving with them because they were more intent on cultivating a look rather than blending in.

Loved the MOD:AA, even preferred it to the original COD despite it being the created by pretty much the same team.

TO be fair the beard was never intended to fool the Afghan's into believing that this soldier was one of them, I remember reading that the elders in alot of towns and villages respect the soldiers much more becasue they have a beard, its a social thing I believe,
    The shades and cap are there for fairly obvious reasons, afghanistan is a hot country, or so Ive heard:)
    Anyway the gun would probably have given him away long before the shades or cap!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Where does it say that?
    In the "marlboro man" link:
    Blake says he feels guilty about taking money -- $2,528 in monthly military disability checks -- for doing nothing. Yet he's also frustrated that two careers made possible by his military training, police officer or U.S. marshal, are out of reach because law enforcement is reluctant to hire candidates with PTSD.

So he broods, feeling restless and out of options: "I'm only 21. I'm able-bodied as hell, yet I'm considered a liability. It's like I had all these doorways open to me, and suddenly they all closed on me. It's like my life is over."

As for the beard, I believe you're not seen as a man unless your beard can be grabbed with your hand, if that makes sense. If you want intel, you want people to approach you. Not all cultures see a clean shaven face as a "good" thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

He looks alot different now than he did when he became "famous".

Before:
    mn_marine_photo8.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, they're still going to plough money into the Medal of Honor franchise? They could have at least tried not to look like they were completely aping Infinity ward

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Oh it's gone a bit further than that, the president of EA basically said "We've seen how succesful COD has become, we want it's fanbase back"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

They really need to get this right in terms of "realism" if they're to compete with the monster that is Call of Duty.

I'm not saying COD is exactly true to life, MW 2 is anything but (snowmobile chase anyone?)

But the gasmask wearing uber nazis from Airbourne were just plain silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Airborne was just alright, an average game in a crowded market. It lacked the scripting necessary to hold interest in an SP game, it was about as simplistic as FPS games can get. Medal of Honor (the original) is probably my favorite FPS ever, I remembered playing it Christmas morning for hours, finished it that same day. Epic beyond belief, I'd never played anything like it before. Hard to believe the dudes that made it now make utter trash like Warpath and Streetball...where did it all go wrong? Anyone remember the soundtrack, artwork and general sound direction? Best ever, none of the COD or following MOH games can touch it. Underground was a pretty good sequel too.

Allied Assault was also excellent, but then again a lot of the guys that made that went on to make IW and Call of Duty, so it is essentially a 'Call of Duty' game and even feels rather like one when played today.

Frontline....excellent game. Blew me away at the time when I first played it on the Ps2, because I played MOH so much, it was literally a case of going straight from MOH to MOH: Frontline, a pretty steep gradient. At the time it was like playing Saving Private Ryan. Even today it holds up incredibly well, fantastic engine they used, everything runs so smoothly and

Pacific Assault I thought was actually okay...ish. But it just wasn't a true Medal of Honor game. The opening level is fantastic though, at the time of release, the graphics were absolutely stunning.

Rising Sun....quite poor. MP was pretty good though.

European Assault....Not great at all. Rough looking, average playing, forgettable MP.

Anyone play Moh Ungerground on the GBA? Hilariously bad. Runs at about 10fps, characters are multicolored, you can't see a few feet in front of you. Absolutely, hands down, the worst use of the MOH name ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Taking on the COD franchise is a big task, doubt they're up to it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Wasn't it the fact that 24 of the 26 staff who made the MOH games went out on there own and started CoD!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

istopped playing MOH when COD 1 came out....
    russian campaign ftw....
    2 was excellent as well
    big red one was crap though
    never really played 3
    and then 4 and 5 were good....
    6 is a crap main story imo and they left it wide open at the end.
    and i want bst of cod 4 map pack....

meanwhile medal of honour never surfaced again....if its just and attempted copy on cod itll be crap...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

what does it matter if its crap noone has to buy it

personally i dont really see any downside to them making a new game as i have nothing to lose from it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Mousey- wrote: »
    meanwhile medal of honour never surfaced again....if its just and attempted copy on cod itll be crap...

I dont see how setting the game in present day Afghanistan is copying Call of Duty at all...it's following a trend in shooters whereby modern day is in and World War 2 is out. In fact having Afghanistan is just what I'd expect from MoH, CoD is moving towards fiction whereas MoH is staying true to the series by portraying actual wars.

But we can and should wait to talk about wheter or not its a Modern Warfare clone until we see some actual footage/gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well after spending a lot of time with, and being very disappointed with MW2, there's definately room for competition in the marker. I'm kind of pinning my hopes on Bad Company 2 after the brilliant original though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

robby^5 wrote: »
    I dont see how setting the game in present day Afghanistan is copying Call of Duty at all...it's following a trend in shooters whereby modern day is in and World War 2 is out. In fact having Afghanistan is just what I'd expect from MoH, CoD is moving towards fiction whereas MoH is staying true to the series by portraying actual wars.

But we can and should wait to talk about wheter or not its a Modern Warfare clone until we see some actual footage/gameplay.
    i mean like the play style not the setting.
    like mp .. perks, attachments etc...
    attachments yeah but a similar system no

Just remake the MOHAA multiplayer, I'll pay full price for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Well after spending a lot of time with, and being very disappointed with MW2, there's definately room for competition in the marker. I'm kind of pinning my hopes on Bad Company 2 after the brilliant original though.
    I've the beta of bad company 2, its going to be amazing. Far better than the first version (which was pretty good!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Out of curiosity btw, how many people here played the very original Medal of Honour? I mean the PS1 game, that came with a piece of AI I have rarely seen used elsewhere; enemies would kick away grenades back at you, or dive on grenades to protect their buddies. It was such an awesome piece of AI back in the mid 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

pixelburp wrote: »
    Out of curiosity btw, how many people here played the very original Medal of Honour? I mean the PS1 game, that came with a piece of AI I have rarely seen used elsewhere; enemies would kick away grenades back at you, or dive on grenades to protect their buddies. It was such an awesome piece of AI back in the mid 90s.

Me, I can remember it, fantastic for its time

235e017b42a0878c6ec0f110.L.jpg

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »

Still have it at home. Loved it !!! :D
    Jimmy Patterson was it ?

Advertisement