Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things your parents do that p*ss you off

Options
  • 28-11-2009 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Mine-

1)Mine insist on my room being spotless at all times, even though nobody is ever in my room except me and as I have a state exam approaching in June,a clean room is the least of my worries

2)They give out about ridiculous things-I go out about once a fortnight,when I work hard at school I'm entitled to a night out!!

You?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Bother me about relationships in general.

Talk about things as if they know what they're talking about (College mainly).

Invade my personal space/root through my stuff........

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

This is now officially the most awkward thread in history

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

My mam sings along to songs (that are in the charts) when they come on the radio in the car. Well actually, she mumbles them because she doesn't know the words!
    Worst one is Alexandra Burkes "Bad Boys".. Wtf like!?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

when I was younger my Mam did loads of stuff that would drive me mad, but now that she's not around any more, suddenly doesn't seem so embarrassing!

Please don't post if you're gonna bring grief to the thread..
    Mine always tell me to clean my room too....
    They also call me to do stupid chores when I actually do study....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Constantly ask "What's wrong?" when there's absolutely nothing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Constant inquiries about every possible aspect of my life.
    Incessant giving of bad advice when I never asked/wanted their advice in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Mine are grand for the most part, can be abit hypocritical (I don't like the way they tell me not to drink, yet they drink right infront of me when they're in most weekends) at times. But one thing my parents made me realise is that been a teen/child in the 1980s/70s isn't much different from now, for the most part anyway.

jumpguy wrote: »
    But one thing my parents made me realise is that been a teen/child in the 1980s/70s isn't much different from now, for the most part anyway.

I really dont agree with that at all. Society is incredibly different now, values have changed, what is seen as acceptable/decent is very different too.

I know kinda what you're getting at, but the teenage years my parents had were very different to mine.

Fad wrote: »
    I really dont agree with that at all. Society is incredibly different now, values have changed, what is seen as acceptable/decent is very different too.

I know kinda what you're getting at, but the teenage years my parents had were very different to mine.
    Not really. Don't think of your parents as they are now, think of them as they might've been when they were 14/15/16. Probably talked about dirty things with their friends, smoked, drank, were under pier pressure, had to stand up from people, learned the same lessons, some the easy way, some the hard way, failed at some things, succeeded at some things. They're parents restricted them, they resisted.

They turn into parents then, and we're the 15/16 year olds (and the rest of you who are older). There are differences, the same things happen to us...just in different ways, how we react is different too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

my mam and I have a love/hate relationship....little things she does piss me off

for instance the constant tidying, telling me to do things when I'm in the process of doing them(telling me to "clean up that mess" as I'm walking into the utility room to get a mop),nag nag nagging drives me nuts and generally just getting on my tits.

get on well with my dad though.

<<--freud would have a field day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Tell them if you're responsible enough to mod 4 forums, you're responsible enough to go to that gentlemen's club!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

I think that there is probably a bigger generation gap in Ireland than in other countries because of the huge changes that have happened here in the last 15 or 20 years.

I think that there is probably a bigger generation gap in Ireland than in other countries because of the huge changes that have happened here in the last 15 or 20 years.

Kinda my point, I just couldnt be arsed responding to jumpguy :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My mother gets obsessive about a few things. Recently those things would be driving safely and wearing a jacket/hoodie when I'm going out.

It used to be about not getting into fights...

I know she's just trying to do the best she can for me though. Same with my dad. He gives out at least once a day, but he means well.

If they weren't so annoying, I'd tell them just how great they are far more often :P

Kinda my point, I just couldnt be arsed responding to jumpguy :)
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Nothing really, my room's a mess, I live in Dublin now since it's far too great a distance to commute.
    Would be a bit odd of her to try and tell me what I can and can't do since I don't live with her (though in fairness I don't actually do anything she would disapprove of anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I get my clothes stolen and put in the wash while I'm bed. This wouldn't be so bad if it were not for the fact that I have only 2 sets of clothes and getting them back takes about a week.

I also disagree that there's much of a generation gap and my parents were born in the early 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

When i put something somewhere my mam moves it and then when I can't find it she gives out. :confused:
    She doesn't like me using the word studying or homework in the house and constantly asks me to do things when i'm supposed to be studying or giving out when i finally do study - i'm in 6th year i need to ?
    Also when they treat younger siblings different, i know i'm the oldest and they're getting used to it or whatever but sometimes it gets annoying.
    Generally get on well with my parents though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Get on great with both my mam and dad. The main problem would be the whole "you're only 17, you can't go to pubs!!!" (Dad). It's not too bad though...what he doesnt know....
    We can talk about anything in our house though...and I mean anything...but some times the parents just don't know where that line is...and they tend to cross it by a mile!!

Oh and also I have the primary role of cleaner in our house...sometimes I just want to smack my mam over the head with the dirty dishes, since she just ignores them!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Just thought of it now as it came up. My mam thinking she knows all about different sports shouting at the tv saying "X isnt playing very well" or "he did ........... last time" Only for us to have to constantly correct her because she doesnt know who's who and basically has no idea of the game. That really irritates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Nothing really... I'm all growed up now so I have a lot of freedom. There are never any problems about being allowed out or anything like that. They're quite liberal as well.

I think they work too hard. It doesn't piss me off, but it's quite annoying because they stress themselves out of their heads just so me and my brothers can/will be able to go to college relatively comfortable, even though I'd be very happy taking out a loan to pay my way. It's kinda hard to explain... I think annoying is the wrong word. I feel a bit guilty I suppose....

Jay P wrote: »

I think they work too hard. It doesn't piss me off, but it's quite annoying because they stress themselves out of their heads just so me and my brothers can/will be able to go to college relatively comfortable, even though I'd be very happy taking out a loan to pay my way. It's kinda hard to explain... I think annoying is the wrong word. I feel a bit guilty I suppose....

I'm the same, I'd be more than happy just to get a loan out/pay my way for college, but they having none of it, and it doesnt really make sense to me tbh :confused:

WTH I'll just waste all my wages on drink and hope I dont regret it when I'm poor :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

My parents, despite my Dad's annoying culchie tendencies, are actually pretty cool. They went to Beyoncé last week, the two of them the wrong side of 50, the mad yolks :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Mam; overprotective, moody, away with the fairies at times.
    Dad; bit of a know-it-all, thinks he's never wrong about anything, constantly singing

Overall though I get on really well with both of them (or I should say they get on with me, because I can be a difficult bastard to get on with at times!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

A Neurotic wrote: »
    My parents, despite my Dad's annoying culchie tendencies, are actually pretty cool. They went to Beyoncé last week, the two of them the wrong side of 50, the mad yolks :pac:

Mine did too;
    My Dad "Oh Craguls the setlist was flawless, she sang crazy in love and..."- I didn't realise he was such a fan....:confused:

On a more on topic related note, both my parents are grand, save for the occasional over reaction to something. That said I'm the eldest so I need to do everything first I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

mine are grand really except they can be very over protective and talk really loudly when we're out in public places. my dad likes to slag the locals when we're on holidays-ie, speaking like one of the mario brothers when we go to italy and he thinks its ha-larious (its not). another thing that annoys me is that they pretend to be total boggers when they are at home but when they ever go back to the east they get their normal accents back. and they always give out to me coz i dont have a galway accent and my other sibling do! grrr!

Kinda wanna do Engineering next year, I dont think I want to still do Science (Not sure) but anytime my mum talks about it, her response is invariably "But Conor, Science is one of those course that are safe" to which I promptly respond saying "You are talking through your hole". I wouldnt mind, but she has absolutely no idea what she's talking about......Engineering is applied science and I'm pretty sure I'd come out even more employable after it.

Have to work on that......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Everytime I'm walking out the door...''Where are you going?,Who with?''

Well thats only my Mam really.

Advertisement