Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggression from SIPTU/IMPACT at UCD gates

Options
  • 24-11-2009 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Were you one of those verbally abused, physically blocked from entering, herded from your bus at the entracnes to UCD today, had people sitting on the bonnet of your car?

Democratic right to protest? What about democratic right to cross a picket?

What about not UCD staff trying to enter the campus? The strike those not relate to these individuals and yet they were shown same aggression at the entrances...

What about the private companies operating in UCD, are they not allowed to continue in their struggle to survive without this?

I might have supported peoples right to protest today, but not after this distain for other peoples rights... shame on you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

I was at pickets at three different UCD entrances today from approx 11am - 3pm and did not see one incident of striking workers/supportive students "verbally abuse", "physically block" or sit on people's cars.

See my other post here for a brief report of the day's events:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63169267&postcount=81

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

I got off the bus this morning and I think it was a student protest (?) there was a huge blockage of protesters. So I walked up and they just stood there, I said excuse me please but they wouldnt budge. Some lad starting shouting at me not too sure what he was saying and some woman kept trying to hand me a leaflet. I just grabbed the leaflet and they let me through. Bunch of headbangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

A woman jumped in front of my car, i beeped the horn and told her to **** off, like every other idiot that jumps out in front of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Why cross the picket? There is nothing there atm. It's not ideal to be a scab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭imstrongerthanu

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    A woman jumped in front of my car, i beeped the horn and told her to **** off, like every other idiot that jumps out in front of a car.
    Lol:D

• Advertisement

Personally? I "crossed the picket" to collect my mate from Belgove to go to Dundrum Shopping Centre. REVOLUTION!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Students are all mé feiners, not much point in expecting anything from them, unless it is concerned with Abercrombie and Fitch gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Personally? I "crossed the picket" to collect my mate from Belgove to go to Dundrum Shopping Centre. REVOLUTION!
    Are your mates from belgrove unable to walk?

Crossing a picket is an act of massive disrespect.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Students are all mé feiners, not much point in expecting anything from them, unless it is concerned with Abercrombie and Fitch gear.

Not all of them. :)

I've heard that 60 students from Maynooth joined with their lectures and other college staff on picket lines today. Positive news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

33% God wrote: »

So is striking a week before exams.

(not that I would cross a picket - seen too many reeling in the years from the thatcher era)

• Advertisement

Are your mates from belgrove unable to walk?

They can walk but they didnt want to be molested while leaving on foot. I popped in, picked him up and popped out.

Imagine if i actually was collecting a friend unable to walk. You would look like such a knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

1968 wrote: »
    I was at pickets at three different UCD entrances today from approx 11am - 3pm and did not see one incident of striking workers/supportive students "verbally abuse", "physically block" or sit on people's cars.

See my other post here for a brief report of the day's events:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63169267&postcount=81

I did see this type of behaviour, around 9am.
    1968 wrote: »
    Not all of them. :)

I've heard that 60 students from Maynooth joined with their lectures and other college staff on picket lines today. Positive news.
    WOW 1% of NUIM students!!!!

It seems the only official statement from the UCDSU has been this - "Anyone who is looking for a place to study, the JJ Library is open 10am till 4pm at the very least today, and the out of hours reading room is open this evening from 11pm until 3am."

Absolutely shocking.

During the last major industrial dispute in UCD when women cleaner's went on strike in 1985, the UCDSU canceled one of its balls as going into the venue would have involved breaking the picket and instead held a free event the main Library at which the Blades among other played.

It seems those day's are gone.

They can walk but they didnt want to be molested while leaving on foot. I popped in, picked him up and popped out.
    He could have walked out to you, no-one would mind in the least people from campus leaving the university, my mate from Merville came out to me today and had no trouble.
    Imagine if i actually was collecting a friend unable to walk. You would look like such a knob.
    Ya, I did think of that :p
    jimi_t wrote: »
    So is striking a week before exams.

(not that I would cross a picket - seen too many reeling in the years from the thatcher era)
    Were people really that inconvenianced by it? It's not like it was sprung on anybody. My lectures from today are all being repeated (although Tuesday is my quiet day) and I reserved today to do reading for one of my assignments, got all the materials in the library yesterday.

Although I suppose it's the lack of forward thinking in Ireland that's responsible for most of this mess in the first place ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I noticed a small group of picketers at the Fosters Gate entrance.

The minute the rain arrived they disappeared and were not to be seen again for the entire day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

If you dont respect their cause you shouldnt have any problem with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I really wish the college had just closed today and been done with it. If people wanted to go in anyway and use the library, or just to spite the picketers, that's fine, but all classes/assessments/exams should have been cancelled or rescheduled. I don't have a particularly strong opinion on the strike either way. It seems most lecturers/tutors were practical and cancelled their classes, while others insisted on going ahead with them for no other reason than to say fcuk you to the strikers. It's unfair that students have to get caught in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

Many lecturers/tutors who were not permanent were concerned that they might be vicitimised if they didn't go in, the treatment of these people in UCD is like something from the 19th century.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Unions told our lecturers in WIT they were not allowed re organise classes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I work in UCD, however unlike those lucky enough to have nice safe contracts or permanent jobs, I have none - am paid by the hour and have pretty much zero job security.

While I respect peoples right to strike I highly resent being pressured into not attending work and being asked not to cross the picket line by people who can strike with little consequences to their own job - by those people who have lots of job security. If I didn't show up for work today I could have been shown the door tomorrow! Do these people realise what a good situation they're in compared to a lot of people in this country?

On the note of aggression to those crossing the picket line- as I walked through the picket line at 10am for work I personally witnessed the drivers door on two different cars having their windows banged on by picketers telling the drivers not to enter the campus.

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    If you dont respect their cause you shouldnt have any problem with it.
    If you don't respect them then why would you expect them to respect you?
    I work in UCD, however unlike those lucky enough to have nice safe contracts or permanent jobs, I have none - am paid by the hour and have pretty much zero job security.

While I respect peoples right to strike I highly resent being pressured into not attending work and being asked not to cross the picket line by people who can strike with little consequences to their own job - by those people who have lots of job security. If I didn't show up for work today I could have been shown the door tomorrow! Do these people realise what a good situation they're in compared to a lot of people in this country?

On the note of aggression to those crossing the picket line- as I walked through the picket line at 10am for work I personally witnessed the drivers door on two different cars having their windows banged on by picketers telling the drivers not to enter the campus.
    Those poeple have those conditions and security because people were smart enough to organise and brave enough to fight for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Well seeing as students aren't employed by the college, I can hardly see how them entering a location they PAY to use is counted as strikebreaking, scabbing, crossing the picket etc.
    These terms refer to people who work in the college. So basically it was pointless harassment of people who had nothing to do with either side of the protest.
    This is just sh1t stirring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Why should we respect peoples' actions when they are being blatant "me feiners"? You're completely hypocritical.

And what about people who live on campus? Were they expected to stay locked up on campus? Or not be allowed to return to their place of resissence if they had left the campus, for fear of being accosted by those picketing?

The actions of some who were protesting today was incredibly childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

I dunno why unless you live on campus anyone went in anyway. I didn't go in today or yesterday, well just cause I decided to take the day off yesterday.

I don't cross pickets anyway so even though I didn't agree with the strike that isn't really the point here. If someone is on strike I really don't care why they are and will never cross pickets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Kournikova wrote: »
    I dunno why unless you live on campus anyone went in anyway.

Well, quite a lot of lectures and other activities still went ahead today. Thats perhaps why people wanted to go in, especially with tests approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I dunno why unless you live on campus anyone went in anyway. I didn't go in today or yesterday, well just cause I decided to take the day off yesterday.

I went in because i had 2 lectures and a lab.

More generally, i go in because i woke up one day and my job was no longer there and no amount of striking would have got it back. I didn't get any hassle going in today but i'd be damned if i would miss out on my oppurtunities for the future for fear of crossing a picket by those who still have their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Thats true, I heard from someone who did go to a lecture that only like 30 people showed up and that on a normal day theatre L is normally fairly full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Thats true, I heard from someone who did go to a lecture that only like 30 people showed up and that on a normal day theatre L is normally fairly full.

Hope they got the lecture.

I recall attending a lecture during my postgrad in DIT. It was the night after the class christmas do, and only 3 class members turned up (there should have been 60). The lecturer asked if we wanted the lecture, and I said I wanted it ! The other two didnt object, and my belligerance worked !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Anyone involved in this protest today is an embarassment to Ireland. It was nothing but a fraud, a union organised holiday pushed by naive and unrepentant backwards union leaders.

The behaviour today of the public sector epitimises the culture of waste and protectionist bloat that has eaten away at our country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

If you don't respect them then why would you expect them to respect you?

There's a difference between disregarding someone's cause and physically/verbally abusing them.

Advertisement