Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Match Thread** Monday November 23rd @ 20:30 in Colombus- Ravenhill V Boardeaux

Options
  • 23-11-2009 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Keeper -

Clayton - yes

Defenders -

Cathal -
    Dan -
    Ed - yes
    Geoff - yes
    Graham -
    Mick -
    Michael - yes
    Keith -
    Andy -

Midfielders -

Alan -
    Collie -
    Conor - yes
    Dave -
    Gav -
    Martin - yes
    Kenny -

Strikers -

Art - yes
    Gary -
    Jules - yes
    Ciaran -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

In...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I'll be there but might be a bit late

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Keeper -

Clayton - yes

Defenders -

Cathal - yes
    Dan - yes
    Ed - yes
    Geoff - yes
    Graham -
    Mick - yes
    Michael - yes
    Keith - Yes
    Andy - Yes (but maybe late)

Midfielders -

Alan - yes
    Collie - yes
    Conor - yes
    Dave - yes
    Gav - yes
    Martin - yes
    Kenny - yes

Strikers -

Art - yes
    Gary - out - work
    Jules - yes
    Ciaran - yes

massive game. 3 points is a must. the league maybe decided in the next 4 rounds of matches as all the top 4 pretty much player each other once.

3-2 defeat. threw it away, conceded from 2 set pieces in the last 4 minutes. 2 ogs with their 2nd being an aboulute cracking goal it has to be said.

sickened. had loads of chances, even at 2-2, we had 2 chances. they barely got the ball near our goals and scored 3 from long range shots.

as for the excuse for a ref, it saddens me to say the standard of reffing is shambolic. the lad could barely keep up with the play and had a stinking attitude...a nicely worded email to advise of that to astro.ie is warranted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pretty annoyed about it, conceded an easy goal, came back into it. Ciarans shot off the bar could have easily made in 2-1 to us.

Got a head with Art but then fell asleep and conceeded 2 quick goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Any word on Dan?

If its not broken I'd be very surprised, I was surprised he didnt have a compound fracture.

Hopefully he'll be ok

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Any word on Dan?

in hospital. i was about 2 feet away from it and it looked like their striker took dan clean out of it....

anyway, looks like that useless c*nt was wrong -
    Signal
    The referee indicates an indirect free kick by raising his arm above his
    head. He maintains his arm in that position until the kick has been
    taken and the ball has touched another player or goes out of play.
    Ball Enters the Goal

An indirect free kick must be retaken if the referee fails to raise his arm
    to indicate that the kick is indirect and the ball is kicked directly into
    the goal.
    i was standing beside clay an had no idea, just like he did, that the free kick was indirect, until des said it to the ref....some joke.

they scored 2 goals from indirect free kicks.

Ed, I was right beside it. It was a clash of heads. Both went for the ball, no malice whatsoever.

Also, Clay touched the ball for the first goal so does that not make it irrelevant?

• Advertisement

Also, the third goal was absolutely our fault. 3 Ravenhill players unmarked on the edge of the box. Certainly not the ref's fault.

Also, Clay touched the ball for the first goal so does that not make it irrelevant?

why did clay touch the ball? cos he never knew it was an indirect free kick. ref broke the rules, law 13 :). i asked him about it and he said i dont have to raise my arm. had clay missed it, i would have went for it...as i also did not know it was an indirect free kick. clay is a smart guy, he would just have left it into the net. the free kick was on half way and went straight in with clay touching it at the last split second.

official law from fifa site is -

The Indirect Free Kick
    Signal
    The referee indicates an indirect free kick by raising his arm above his
    head. He maintains his arm in that position until the kick has been
    taken and the ball has touched another player or goes out of play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'll give Dan a call tomorrow, there certainly didn't seem to be any malice from where I was.

Certainly not the ref's fault.

their lad went down very easily in the corner, looked to me like keith won the ball and your man then went over. a very soft free.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Draw was probably a fair result I thought, but with the difficult start, there's not much room to move..

Was it an indirect free? I was just arriving and can't remember what it was given for. The equaliser is the best goal I've seen either for or against Boardeaux. Second goal was clinical. One ball, one touch...goal.

Second equaliser came from not clearing the ball - three corners in a row and someone free on the edge with a potshot. The third was again being done late on by a freekick not lumped into the box as everyone expected. It looked a foul as he was through and it didn't look like Keith got the ball..

I may have got the ball but not sure, i got the man though aswell.

so thoughts -

we defended well in the game, they had no chances from open play, but got caught napping at set pieces. nothing really could be done about the first goal, it crept under the bar and was done also to a ref not applying the rules correct.

their 2nd was some finish, he took it clean on they volley from what, 20+ yards out?

the 3rd, we were sleeping, nobody traced the lad at the edge of the box, he hit it very well and hit the bar, the rest was just pure bad luck.

we created lots of chances, but didnt take them. their striker turned to me and said "jesus, we are getting away big time here, we are riding our luck".

we didnt deserve to lose the game, had more than enought chances to win it, but also, as a team, we made mistakes for their goals no matter how poxy they were.

still, along way to go, and the potential gap if we win our game in hand, is only 3 points. could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. I was in a daze on the way home not able to understand how we'd managed to lose. On the balance of play and on chances made, the fair result would've been for us to win. They had a good first 10 and a good final 10 but for the 40 in between we were dominant. But sport is not about fair results, you've gotta make it happen. They did, we didn't.

Awarding a free kick for dissent against me for saying 'Jesus Christ' at my own player was a shambles by a ref out to lay down an early marker. I had an excellent view of Keith's tackle for the free kick out wide that led to their third. It was an excellent tackle by Keith - ball and all, he got ball before the man and the man did go down too easy. That said, I can fully appreciate that is the type of tackle Astro.ie aren't comfortable with in this league - in LSL your man wouldn't even have looked for a free, in Astro he can expect it, as would we in that situation.

Did he give Ed a yellow or a red card at the end? From my view Ed did slide tackle your man and it was a slam dunk yellow card, nothing more nothing less. Did he make it red for dissent or was it red from the outset (which would've been totally over the top)?

Now, all that said, the ref is not the reason we lost this game. It is worth pointing out his deficiencies and his disrespectful attitude and it might even be worth giving this feedback to Astro.ie - acknowledging that we lost the game ourselves so are not picking up on decisions made, but attitude and pitch coverage.

Am I right in thinking they scored with their only 3 shots of the game? Think they had a header wide too. We need to be more dominant at set pieces both in defence and attack. Conceding direct from a free on the halfway line should never happen and is a once a season blooper. But for their 2nd their player should never have left in so much space at the far edge of the box that he had time to hit a looping ball on the volley without anyone even getting close to him. We need more organisation at set pieces - we should meet early before the next game to ge that sorted. Great hit though, but again, how it got across a crowded penalty area low into the far corner is another question we have to ask.

We played some really top notch football in several spells, with some lightning counter attacks at times. Had Ciaran's shot gone in off the bar it would've been one of our best ever goals as the team build up was class and the strike sublime.

Hope Dan is okay, that is one nasty break. There was no malice at all in it, if anything it was Dan who went in much harder, made me wonder what it must've been like going up against Richard Dunne last Wednesday, just unfortunate that the old adage 'if you go in hard you don't get hurt' didn't hold true this time. I'd say he'll need to get that nose reset, just hope there were no complications with the fracture.

This league will be close so we're a long way from out of it, but the persistent talk of league position isn't doing us any good - we have been guilty of thinking beyond the next game too many times. 3 points at a time and we'll worry about our chances of winning the league on the night it becomes possible. I'm still yet to see a team or squad as good as ours in this league and the good thing is our mistakes are organisational and easy to eradicate, and we are still making plenty of great chances. Admittedly, us attackers need to convert more of those, but all the ingredients are there so we just need to focus on grinding out points.

Did he give Ed a yellow or a red card at the end?

yellow card only for the tackle, nothing for dissent. i stayed on my 2 feet so i cant see how it was a sliding tackle.

It is worth pointing out his deficiencies and his disrespectful attitude and it might even be worth giving this feedback to Astro.ie - acknowledging that we lost the game ourselves so are not picking up on decisions made, but attitude and pitch coverage.

done exactly that, i mentioned that it was our own fault we lost but highlighted his obvious flaws. me and you never spoke about this yet we both have the exact same feeling, his attitude stank and he was on a power trip and seemed to revel in having his mark on the game.

was emailing them anyway about the keeper sliding tackle clarification as their website does not mention this. added in that his overall performance was disrespectful and attitude poor.

shocking also to read that he gave the first free kick for that. i also mentioned his lack of knowledge of the basic rules. will post the reply here, if they do reply.

update on Dan, just rang him...

was in A and e until 2.30, but hes ok today, the nose, throat and ear place only work on thursdays on resettings, so he may have to wait until next week to see it it can be reset, ouch. he is not in that much pain, but its a bad bad break.

eitherway, we wont be having him playing until new year anyway...

• Advertisement

That's a major bummer for Dan, hope it works out for him. If it goes too long before resetting, you have to have an op under general anaesthetic to have it reset so hope they get it sorted on Thursday. Bummer for us to be missing him for the next month or so.

Yeh it was a strange tackle Ed, was like you slid on one foot but managed to get the other one down to stay on your feet. You did catch him though and in LSL it's the type of tackle that'd get you a yellow and nothing else said. In Astro the yellow leading to a sin bin makes it more harsh so that was a little too much punishment.

Will be interesting what Astro come back with. It doesn't matter if we're losing 10-0 every week, the ref should remember he's speaking to A) Adults and B) Paying customers and the refs should show some basic respect.

That's **** about Dan. Tell him I was asking for him Ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭murtagh

Have to hold my hand up for the 3rd... I was a shot that i should have blocked.
    My view on the two tackles was that Keiths was fine... he got inside, between man and ball, was on the ball and the guy went over far too easy as he made a half arst effort to run around Keith.
    Thought Eds was more of a lunge/stretch than a slide. definitely made initial contact (man or ball? - not sure) with both feet on the ground and a combination of being off balance and ur mans momentum into the challenge meant Ed finished up half on the ground and them screaming for a slidetackle. If the yellow was solely for sliding then it was harsh. Think he was looking for any excuse after the objections to the free they won from Keith minutes earlier.

Let Dan know i was asking for him and hope things go ok for him on Thurs. A mate before didnt get his nose reset on the night and the doc said he would have to wait a couple of weeks... he politely forced the issue with the doc and managed to get it reset without any complications 2 days later.

murtagh wrote: »
    Have to hold my hand up for the 3rd... I was a shot that i should have blocked.
    My view on the two tackles was that Keiths was fine... he got inside, between man and ball, was on the ball and the guy went over far too easy as he made a half arst effort to run around Keith.
    Thought Eds was more of a lunge/stretch than a slide. definitely made initial contact (man or ball? - not sure) with both feet on the ground and a combination of being off balance and ur mans momentum into the challenge meant Ed finished up half on the ground and them screaming for a slidetackle. If the yellow was solely for sliding then it was harsh. Think he was looking for any excuse after the objections to the free they won from Keith minutes earlier.

I'd back Ed on the tackle, though the issue was I think his knee was on the ground at the end of the tackle so the ref probably classed it as a sliding tackle.

Next week will be a massive game

so i think we are agreed on the following -

we have only ourselves to blame, we didnt take our chances to kill the game off and also, made 2 mistakes for goals that we should not have conceded.

the refs atitude was appaling.
    the free kicks for the first and 3rd goals were a little, err, soft.
    his interpretation of the rules of the game are a little bit incorrect.

so i think we are agreed on the following -

we have only ourselves to blame, we didnt take our chances to kill the game off and also, made 2 mistakes for goals that we should not have conceded.

the refs atitude was appaling.
    the free kicks for the first and 3rd goals were a little, err, soft.
    his interpretation of the rules of the game are a little bit incorrect.

Yep, that's it in a nutshell alright....doesn't make for great reading though!

We need to stop obsessing about refs and forget about it. These refs are not affiliated like you have in a proper league. I doubt many of them have even passed a basic refereeing course. Nothing to be done about it.

We need to stop obsessing about refs and forget about it. These refs are not affiliated like you have in a proper league. I doubt many of them have even passed a basic refereeing course. Nothing to be done about it.

no offence martin, but thats a poor way of looking at it. they are paid big money to come out and do a job and some of them look like they dont even want to be there. they get up to 30 quid an hour, which is nothing to be scoffed at, thats money we pay, for them to do a job. one thing i hate is a ref who thinks he is pierluigi f*cking collina but refs like a w*nker.

it is very rare that a ref has that poor an attitude and has that big an influence on the game. weve already writen to astro about it (this was based on 3 texts that i got after the game giving out about it, the chat in the car on the way home and also speaking to jules on here) and if it means that the lad never again refs us or he is educated about the spirt of the game, then something will be have been done.

but just dismissing it and accepting it, is not the way to approach it.

Talking about it on the internet as if that's gonna suddenly improve the standard is not the way to approach it either. It's a feckin' astro league. The refs will never be good. It's just an excuse. If we were good enough we'd have won.

• Advertisement

The refs will never be good. It's just an excuse. If we were good enough we'd have won.

nobody denies that martin and if you actually read all the posts correctly you will see that there are many reasons we lost the game of which only one is the ref. we are not blaming him, nobody is and we know we didnt take our chances to win it and were punished in the end. we are merely stating fact that he was on a power trip and its not acceptable for any team to put up with it.

Advertisement