Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood warning - Updated 02.12.2009 0400 hrs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Shannon is at a higher level than I've ever seen it. Strand Hotel people must be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I also live on O'Callaghan Strand,carpark is well underground down a steep slope.To say Im worried is an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

jackncoke wrote: »
    I also live on O'Callaghan Strand,carpark is well underground down a steep slope.To say Im worried is an understatement.

I'd be getting your car out of there if I were you...

Its not there yet,im workin til 8.Im deciding where to park it for the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

i was just in around town there to check on a few things and was down the clancy strand side...the river is high all right but ive seen it higher so looks like the volume of water isnt down yet!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

That car park shouldn't be a problem, the water would have to get the whole way up stone house terrace before it could get into the car park. I would be worried about getting it onto O'Callaghan's Strand in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭CRAIG07

are we due more rain there havin lightning in cork at the moment !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Passed over by annacotty, the river looks very high up!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I live in the strand as well. My car is in the underground carpark and I'm not worried.

Aidric wrote: »
    I live in the strand as well. My car is in the underground carpark and I'm not worried.

I dont live in the strand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

im surprised that corbally hasnt been flooded yet, my gran used to live out there and her whole back garden would flood. there supposed to have put in a higher waterproofed wall down by the treaty stone and that board walk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

We should hopefully be ok in Westbury

anyone got any update of flooded areas???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Plassey pedestrian bridge has been closed as a precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Down O' Callaghans strand earlier no sign of any flooding, to me it looks unlikely that it would burst its banks there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The river under the Corbally bridge is very high this evening. Think its the highest ive seen it since i moved here last November.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭phog

Down O' Callaghans strand earlier no sign of any flooding, to me it looks unlikely that it would burst its banks there

I dont think the banks busting were ever going to be the problem, more likely the water level at high tide would rise above the banks and restraining gates along both strands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

CRAIG07 wrote: »
    are we due more rain

I think we all know the answer to that!!:D

phog wrote: »
    I dont think the banks busting were ever going to be the problem, more likely the water level at high tide would rise above the banks and restraining gates along both strands.

as far as i can find high tide is due at 8:56pm tonight.....ill be in around town at sevenish so will pop down the strand for a lookise :D

im going to cork tomorrow not looking forward to that at all...the infastructure damage down there is massive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouble

High tide will be about 10:30 according to here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm going for a walk into town shortly as well, might be down by the strand at some stage too. Just have to get my camera ready...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Trouble wrote: »
    High tide will be about 10:30 according to here

Check here for tide times:
    http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=0718&PredictionLength=7

A small bit of flooding on the strand today actually

anyone know if the esb have released water yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The Blonde One

The Clare County Manager was just on the radio there, don't think the ESB have released water yet. But they will have to, it will be done on a bit by bit basis, rather than all at once.

Anyone know if they have a channell in place to notift the public of water release??

ive spent the morning chasing floods around ireland!!! we have cabins under water in several locations

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The Blonde One

Clare Fm is your best bet, they're giving it good coverage. Clare CoCo's website is also posting updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What is the state of The Swamp Bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/16847792/?view=Standard

Energy chiefs warn of further floods
    on 23/11/2009 13:01:13

Energy chiefs today warned of further possible damaging floods along the Shannon after the swollen river reached record levels.

As Taoiseach Brian Cowen visits the worst affected regions, the ESB said parts of counties Clare and Limerick faced further damage.

"Exceptional flooding along the River Shannon - the highest on record - requires ESB to increase the amount of water that must be released at Parteen Weir," the ESB said.

"The discharge levels have been growing in recent days but the release of higher volumes of water downstream will become unavoidable later today.

"Localised downstream areas can expect higher flood levels as a result."

The Parteen Weir controls the flow of water into Ardnacrusha power station further downstream.

Councils in Clare, Limerick and North Tipperary and local emergency services warned areas from Parteen downstream to Limerick city faced further floods later today.

Mr Cowen, in Cork before visiting Clare and Galway, said the focus of work should be on helping those affected by floods.

The Taoiseach refused to be drawn on calls for an inquiry into the floods.

The Irish Farmers' Association has been fiercely critical of the Government since swathes of land, towns and cities were left under several feet of water last week.

IFA president Padraig Walshe hit out at flood prevention schemes, calling for a return to the old practice of regularly clearing rivers and streams.

"Spending millions of euro on flood defences will only protect the town where they are built, and will push the problem downstream to other towns and rural areas," Mr Walshe said.

The IFA leader also repeated his call for an emergency package to assist those worst affected by the flooding crisis.

Meanwhile, Coast Guard director Chris Reynolds urged the public to take extra care in flooded and coastal areas.

"The public is strongly advised not to go out on exposed coasts, cliffs, piers, harbour walls, beaches, promenades or any other coastal areas," he said.

"Do not attempt to cross at fast running river or flood water fords as they may be stronger and deeper than you think.

"Flooded urban areas may contain many hazards, not least of which include submerged open manholes and downed power lines.

"The combination of tides, forecasted gales warnings for later this week, high sea conditions and swollen rivers may result in very dangerous conditions."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

YFlyer wrote: »
    What is the state of The Swamp Bar?

The swamp bar?????

Advertisement