Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All in One Remotes

Options
  • 06-03-2013 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever find A GOOD ONE??

All the ones i have ever found are mi$$ing some functions on each thing!

Seems kinda pointless i think to sell this stuff IF IT DOESNT WORK 100% for everything it can control!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Daarrgh

Logitech Harmony series are brilliant.
    They do take some programming and it will always need some tweaking to make it just right, but its by far the best experience I have had so far, and I have tried many.
    The beauty of the system is that it's programmed via the Logitech website, so your particular set of functions and remotes are stored safely in the cloud. There is no chance that the internal memory of the unit can let you down for whatever reason. This makes it particularly sweet if you want to upgrade to a newer model.
    With my experience of the Harmony I can't wait to upgrade to one of the new ones

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Daarrgh wrote: »
    With my experience of the Harmony I can't wait to upgrade to one of the new ones
    I have one too and it's great, but Logitech are selling off their Harmony business due to falling profits ...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/23/3909934/logitech-q3-results-harmony

It's not very clear what effect that will have if any on future availability, but hopefully a reliable manufacturer will step in and continue the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

I use logitech Harmony too - but they aint cheap - cant remeber the name of teh one I have, but it costs around €40

iba wrote: »
    I use logitech Harmony too - but they aint cheap - cant remeber the name of teh one I have, but it costs around €40
    That's actually the cheapest one they do I think, probably the same one I have, the 300i. They go up to several hundreds for the flashier ones with colour touch screens and so forth.

Still, it beats the pants off the other 4 el-cheapo ones that are now languishing in my "man drawer" completely unused. Just being able to program them from the PC rather than endless obscure key press sequences makes it worth it's price in gold.

Alun wrote: »
    That's actually the cheapest one they do I think, probably the same one I have, the 300i. They go up to several hundreds for the flashier ones with colour touch screens and so forth.

Still, it beats the pants off the other 4 el-cheapo ones that are now languishing in my "man drawer" completely unused. Just being able to program them from the PC rather than endless obscure key press sequences makes it worth it's price in gold.

yeah, I have a few Lidl ones languishing in my 'man cave'

One thing I dont like about my harmony is that I can only control 5 devices at once - I think I have it set up for LG TV, UPC Box, Satelite Box, Onkyo AVR and WD Drive but can only set it up for 4 activities - Watch Movie (set to WD Drive), Play a game (for the PS3), Watch Satelite and Watch TV.

But I guess the more expensive ones have more functions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Seems like Logitech harmony is pretty popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I was looking into getting a Logitech a few months ago but could only find old threads - may I ask where you purchased the 300i?

evilivor wrote: »
    I was looking into getting a Logitech a few months ago but could only find old threads - may I ask where you purchased the 300i?

Dont know, got it as a Xmas pressie last year - are they not on Amazon? Perhaps direct from the logitech site

I bought mine direct from Logitech (often cheaper than other online stores surprisingly enough) but I've just had a look and they don't have it any more. The cheapest they have is the Harmony 650 for €79.99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Daarrgh

I got my Logitech Harmony 525 from Cloney Audio in Blackrock, Dublin.
    It's an old model, but it has changed the lives of my family.
    They had a bunch of these models to sell off for cheap.

http://cloneyaudio.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

I bought the Logitech Harmony 300 Remote - Universal remote control recently on amazon. It's out of date, but the item sold was brand new. As said it can take 2 to 3 hours to program every device and needs a computer and an internet connection and sign up to an account. It can learn newer devices etc. It has buttons for most things but possibly not everything depending on the remote you need to replace.

If going again I would probably buy a much more expensive model. The reason is this device is slightly limited, yes it does the job of 4 remotes, but to change from Sat box to Terrestrial box requires

1) Press TV input twice
    2) Press device mode once

If that sequence could be programmed to just on button, then it would be better.

Have a look at the reviews and peoples problems, all ring true. Things like button names wearing out, difficulty programming extra buttons etc need to be factored in. Make sure you get a model with enough devices to cover all your needs and have a look at it's buttons and compare to existing remotes. Some layouts are better than others. Some of the buttons can be quite small and not intuitive, when compared to say a Sky remote.

As warned, if the website is closed down (which may happen due to new owners) it will be nearly impossible to program new devices.

I bought mine direct from Logitech (often cheaper than other online stores surprisingly enough) but I've just had a look and they don't have it any more. The cheapest they have is the Harmony 650 for €79.99.

Looked at that - seems to be the job.

Splendid.

This link does not seem to work. Click this instead:

http://www.publicsector.groupscheme.com/

Then Computers and Electronics

Mine is the Harmony 500 (just checked)

I really hope ZG3409 they dont close down the site.

Only took me about 10 minutes, or less, to programme my remote using the site

zg3409 wrote: »
    If going again I would probably buy a much more expensive model. The reason is this device is slightly limited, yes it does the job of 4 remotes, but to change from Sat box to Terrestrial box requires

1) Press TV input twice
    2) Press device mode once

If that sequence could be programmed to just on button, then it would be better.

Have a look at the reviews and peoples problems, all ring true. Things like button names wearing out, difficulty programming extra buttons etc need to be factored in. Make sure you get a model with enough devices to cover all your needs and have a look at it's buttons and compare to existing remotes. Some layouts are better than others. Some of the buttons can be quite small and not intuitive, when compared to say a Sky remote.

As warned, if the website is closed down (which may happen due to new owners) it will be nearly impossible to program new devices.

Thanks zg3409,

The main things I use are Humax Freesat+ and Apple tv so it'll need to be able to switch to the appropriate HDMI on the tv, turn on and select the right setting on the amp, etc.

It's not great chore for me at present but, to anyone else, it's virtually impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Thanks zg3409,

The main things I use are Humax Freesat+ and Apple tv so it'll need to be able to switch to the appropriate HDMI on the tv, turn on and select the right setting on the amp, etc.

It's not great chore for me at present but, to anyone else, it's virtually impossible.

I use mine with a Humax+, a Saorview+ and a TV. It can do everything the 3 old remotes did. Even while in satellite mode if you hit the volume up, I have set it to send TV volume up instead of Humax volume up. If programmed correctly, for yourself, volume up could send volume up to the amp every time, no matter the device selected.

I would say your sequence would be

1)Turn on TV
    2)Turn on amp
    3)Turn on Sat box
    4)Turn on apple TV
    5)Select correct HDMI input
    6)Select correct amp input
    7)Press correct device mode

To switch from one device to another
    1) Select correct HDMI input
    2) Select correct sound input on amp
    3) Press correct device mode

Some of the above steps may be two button presses. Ideally try to use specific buttons for say sound input on amp, that are not used for anything else, then you can use them no matter which device mode you are in.

For example if you only have one device that plays or records, then you can asign those buttons to it; no matter which mode it is in.

I have two devices that record etc, so I need to keep changing mode. Some of the more expensive models can learn the entire sequence as one button press.

I use mine with a Humax+, a Saorview+ and a TV. It can do everything the 3 old remotes did. Even while in satellite mode if you hit the volume up, I have set it to send TV volume up instead of Humax volume up. If programmed correctly, for yourself, volume up could send volume up to the amp every time, no matter the device selected.

I would say your sequence would be

1)Turn on TV
    2)Turn on amp
    3)Turn on Sat box
    4)Turn on apple TV
    5)Select correct HDMI input
    6)Select correct amp input
    7)Press correct device mode

To switch from one device to another
    1) Select correct HDMI input
    2) Select correct sound input on amp
    3) Press correct device mode

Some of the above steps may be two button presses. Ideally try to use specific buttons for say sound input on amp, that are not used for anything else, then you can use them no matter which device mode you are in.

For example if you only have one device that plays or records, then you can asign those buttons to it; no matter which mode it is in.

I have two devices that record etc, so I need to keep changine mode. Some of the more expensive models can learn the entire sequence as one button press.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

iba wrote:
    This link does not seem to work
    Yes it doesnt work if it has a referrer (Hotlinked) -- If you open it IN A NEW TAB it comes up then..

• Advertisement

Dude111 wrote: »
    Yes it doesnt work if it has a referrer (Hotlinked) -- If you open it IN A NEW TAB it comes up then..

Ok cool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Kind of wish I'd read this before buying a Harmony Remote last week; didn't know anything about Logitech getting out of the business until it had already arrived.

Lots of problems with mine:
    - It said it works with OS X 10.4+, but doesn't work with 10.6. You can configure the Remote fine, but can't update the remote with your settings. I.e. it's 100% unusable.
    - It worked with Windows 7, but the "Add Device" screen is now completely blank and unusable. I might try reinstalling the software to see if that helps.
    - Had to switch to an 8 year old Mac with 10.5 to get it working. If that machine dies..
    - The 'save login' checkbox does nothing on any of the Macs/PC.
    - I had to recalibrate the remote's touchscreen, as a couple of the buttons are unusable.
    - Also surprised there's no way of unlearning a IR command. So if you get it wrong you have to delete the device, and any activities it's used in, and input them again from scratch.

It takes a good bit of customising to get it to the point where it's a genuine time/space saver, but I'm just about getting there. If I need to switch the TV to 3D, specify Side-By-Side -> 3D mode, and then turn the 3D up to max (a common task for me), it takes 20+ keystrokes. And some of those menus only pop up for 2 seconds so you need all the buttons to be right at hand.

I've been massively impressed with the remote database though. Some cheap gadgets (HDMI switches etc) from obscure manufacturers are in there and fully supported. It's a pity it doesn't have Bluetooth as well, or it'd control just about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

The more recent one for alls have a copy function, and I've successfully copied functions from the original Toshiba remote. The analogie/digital TV button was essential, now that DSO is complete.

I've also found they work very well with Philips TVs for some reason.

Guys,

This was posted on another thread today:

Logitech Harmony® 650 Universal Remote - Blemished Box €39.99 [Logitech]

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84109807#post84109807

Advertisement