Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway - Dublin buses - How bad are the delays?

Options
  • 20-11-2009 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

Anyone know how long bus services are taking to get Galway-Dublin?

According to gobus their services are running today, if they run tomorrow depends on closures etc. I was told to ring at 9am to see if I can get on the 9.45am bus :( not much notice.

Thing is I've been hearing horrific stories about the delays and am meant to be going to see Bill Bailey for anniversary/xmas present, staying in a hotel etc. I really really don't want to spend my entire weekend in a travelling nightmare, only to miss what I went for in the first place, trying to get through to ask gobus themselves but I can't get through.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Fly. Seriously. Expect buses to be cancelled or mega-delayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hamlet01

Hey Steel,

Total price € 237.96 EUR for flights for 2!

http://www.aerarann.com/skylights/cgi-bin/skylights.cgi

I hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

N6 at craughwell is closed apparantly..
    Train it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hamlet01

Check first Harru, don know how they are operating today but they are affected too.

• Advertisement

Now no Flights to Dub with Aer Arann.. we're stranded.. help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

UPDATE:

Train and Bus Eireann services stopped.

Citylink and GoBus running, but cannot confirm Dublin arrival times.

Citylink to Cork Airport cancelld (according to their website)

Aer Arann 14:25 to Dublin flight full 17:00 flight still has some places (tickets were €69 and €89 at 08:30; may be dearer now).Just double checked; all flights now full according to their website. Keep checking though, just in case they do the smart thing and put on an extra flight www.aerarann.ie

I've been on to all of them this morning, as my parents are going on holidays today; I put them on the Citylink 09:30 service, and the driver reckoned they'd make it (their flight isn't until 17:00!)

UPDATE: Citylink 09:30 service due at Dublin Airport at 13:30, meaning that Galway to Dublin services are circa 4 hours.

The Aer Arann flight 14:25 flight had seats when I started a booking at 08:30, but was full by the time I filled in the passenger and credit card details!!!
    Galway to Dublin
    Citylink wish to advise all passengers that due to serious flooding and a collapsed bridge, in the Craughwell area, Citylink cannot pick up or drop off passengers in Craughwell. Alternative routes may add up to 40 minutes onto a journey. Passengers should also note that there will be a diversion in place in Gort and there may be further delays on route.

Galway to Cork; Galway to Shannon; Galway to Clifton
    Services as normal but there may be some delays due to flooding.

Operators will be communicating with drivers to update passengers on board throughout the day..
    advertisement

They have buses timetabled every hour on the 30 minute mark. 091-564163.

Just got a call telling me that Citylink are going Tuam/Barnadearg/Athlone - the bog road Mountbellew to Athlone was fine this morning. However, there is 12" of water at the Claregalway bridge, and inbound traffic is backed up to Lydons in Knockdoe. Ballyglunin bridge (under the railway line) is flooded, as usual!, and Abbeyknockmoy bridge is flooded.

SERVICE UPDATE

All services are scheduled to operate on Friday Nov 20th, please allow extra time for your journey as diversions will be in place.
    We would advise passengers not to travel unless it is absolutely necessary.

They have buses timetabled from Galway every hour on the 45 minute mark. 091-564600.
    TRAVEL ALERTS

19th-20th November - Galway to Athlone service disruption: flooding
    Disruption to Galway-Dublin services

Because of road closures, Bus Eireann regrets that it has to cancel all inter-city services from Galway to Dublin today.

All Dublin-Galway services today will terminate in Athlone. Services will resume as normal when the appropriate roads re-open.

Bus Eireann apologises for any inconvenience caused.

All of the above information is current at 10.30, 20/11/09.

Drivers: Floodmaps from Galway County Council website (www.galway.ie www.galwaycoco.ie)

96567.jpg

96568.jpg

UPDATE: I've just spoken to the roads section of Galway County Council regarding the rumoour abut the N6 opening to alleviate travel difficulties. They told me that this is UNCONFIRMED, but advised me to call back later.

UPDATE: Just rang Galway County Council Traansport Department again (16:23). They said that a single carriage of the M6 from Galway Clinic to Ballinasloe will be open, but as yet they DO NOT know what time it will be opened.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

Boyfriends sister and her boyfriend got GoBus last night at around 12.30 - 1am (Sorry not sure of exact departure) Bus went through Claregalway and Tuam I think and through Mullingar. They arrive in Dublin airport just after 4am ish. The bus driver flew through the drive they said.

Post #8 updated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

Hi - I'm meant to get from galway to Athlone this evening - have to be there for 10.30pm, and will be finishing work around 1.30am, hoping to head back to Galway again....
    i know the advice is not to travel, but I really have to try and get there...any advice for routes?
    And is the weather meant to get better or worse?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Seefig

im goin up today - the flights sold out in a half hour (galway-dub)
    Gobus.ie are back up and running but they wont confirm busses - only the 1o clock is confirmed. they said to keep ringing all day to see when theres another. irish rail have said they are down for the day - GRIM! i have a flight in the morning! :(

Post #8 updated again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good man Fey!
    I thought the maps were a bit small for my poor eyesight. Link to the page they're on, as full size: http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/PublicNotices/FloodingAdvisoryNotice/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Trains are back going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

My sister is on the way down from Dublin on the bus now, I'll post here how long it takes her.

M6 opening Galway-Loughrea is opening in a few mins to bypass the Craughwell flood.
    M6 Ballinasloe West-Ballinasloe East is open now to bypass floods in Ballinasloe.

Hopefully that should get things moving across the country again.

Magnus; I posted them on the boards server as the download time from galway.ie was so big, just in case people were on mobiles! I assumed they could be zoomed into!!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

Thing is I've been hearing horrific stories about the delays and am meant to be going to see Bill Bailey for anniversary/xmas present, staying in a hotel etc. I really really don't want to spend my entire weekend in a travelling nightmare, only to miss what I went for in the first place, trying to get through to ask gobus themselves but I can't get through.

snap.supposed to be seeing bill and fancy hotel with hubbie tomoroow,only thing is we have a toddler,and grandparents are in town,we are in loughrea.i feel like crying.my first night away since having baby and i will probably not make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Seefig

the 5.45 bus from galway got to claregalway and had no choice but to turn back to galway - took an hour to go there and back! cars everywhere broken down wit steam coming out their bonnets - GALWAY IS AN ISLAND FOR NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Took my sister 5 hours to get from Dublin to Galway on the bus going via Gort. There was huge delays at Ballinasloe. The motorway bypass of the town was open but there was a stop & go letting people on so it to ages to get through there.

Friday evening is always really busy, tomorrow might be a bit better on the bus. If the M6 from Loughrea to Galway is open, that should help things as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Got a lovely empty train from dublin to galway.. 3 hours ish.. Gobus were advising 5-7 hours travel time so train was the only option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aleyra

Got the 1pm citylink bus from Galway city-didnt get to Enfield till 7pm! God knows when it arrived it Dublin. Hugh tailbacks in Gort and Ballinasloe . Its only gonna get worse at the weekend

Saturday 11:15.
    Service Update
    Galway to Dublin
    Citylink wish to advise all passengers that due to serious flooding and a collapsed bridge, in the Craughwell area, Citylink cannot pick up or drop off passengers in Craughwell. Alternative routes may add up to 40 minutes onto a journey. Passengers should also note that there will be a diversion in place in Gort and there may be further delays on route.

Galway to Cork; Galway to Shannon; Galway to Clifton
    Services as normal but there may be some delays due to flooding.

Operators will be communicating with drivers to update passengers on board throughout the day.

Citylink non-stop service leaves Galway every hour on the 30 minutes.
    SERVICE UPDATE 21 Nov 2009
    ALL SERVICES ARE OPERATING

All coaches will be travelling via the N6 Motorway

There is a 'stop-go' system in place at Ballinasloe which may cause slight delays, please allow extra time for your journey.

GoBus leaves Galway every hour on the 45 minutes.
    Galway-Dublin Service Resumes

Bus Eireann can confirm that Galway-Dublin services have resumed this morning via the M6.

Services are currently running to the normal timetable (ie leaving Galway on the half hour every hour). Services will operate via Ballinasloe and Loughrea. Customers in Oranmore are being provided with a shuttle bus service into Galway to connect with the service. Customers are advised that there will be some delays on the service due to weather and speed limit restrictions on M6.

Services from Dublin to Galway are operating to normal timetable – every hour on the hour.

Saturday, 21st November, 2009

BusEireann departs Galway every half hour on the hour and on the 30 minutes.
    Update 14.45hrs 20th November - Galway to Athlone line reopened by Corporate Communications

UPDATE 20th November 2009, 14.45hrs

Galway and Athlone line as now reopened following earlier disruption due to flooding.

14.35hrs Dublin -Galway service will operate through to Galway.

15.05 Galway - Dublin service will operate through to Dublin.

All later services on this line are expected to operate however minor delays may be experienced.

This website will be updated as we continue to monitor weather conditions.

Iarnród Éireann apologises for the inconvenience caused.
    Update from Galway County Council on the 20th November, 2009 at 10.00 pm
    Temporary Opening of a further Section of the M6 – Galway to Ballinasloe Motorway.
    The Section of the new M6 bypassing Craughwell can be accessed at the Coolagh Roundabout at Galway City and at the Carrowkeel Junction North of Loughrea. The link road from Carrowkeel to Loughrea is also open connecting to the Loughrea bypass. Intermediate junctions will not be open.
    There will be a Garda presence on the motorway throughout the night if any assistance is required.
    Please note that this section is a one carriageway with two way traffic. Drivers are asked to obey all signals, stay in lane and no overtaking . The maximum speed limit is 50kph.
    Road users are requested to take extra care in using this section of road. It is hoped that these measure will provide some assistance to badly affected road users in this area.
    *GALWAY*
    • Drivers on the Dublin/Galway Rd can use the N6 from Dublin to Balinasloe and then temporarily use, the as yet unfinished, M6 to bypass Balinasloe and Craughwell. Single lane traffic is in operation & a strict speed limit of 50kpm applies.
    IMPORTANT: Motorists wishing to get onto the M6 for Craughwell can only get on AT Galway Clinic, Doughiska and can only get off at Loughrea. Those who try to get onto the M6 at Craughwell will be turned back.
    • The Galway/Monivea Rd (R339) is flooded from Carnmore Cross to Cashla; diversions via Athenry (not Claregalway).
    • The N17 Galway/ Tuam Rd is flooded at Two Mile Ditch and closed at Claregalway. Divert via the N84 Headford Rd instead.
    • The N18 Ennis/ Galway Rd is flooded with diversions at Crowe St, Gort and at Laban.
    • The N84 Galway/ Headford Rd will be heavy today especially at the Shopping Centre.
    • The N63 Roscommon/Galway is closed at Athleague.
    • In Ennis town, Abbey St and the Gort Rd are closed.

www.citylink.ie www.gobus.ie www.buseireann.ie www.irishrail.ie
    www.galwaycoco.ie www.aaroadwatch.ie

Hope this helps. It's the most up to date information I can find. Double check timetables on the sites quoted from.

Advertisement