Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

living in Bray

Options
  • 15-11-2009 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

I had an interview for a job in Bray and i am confident that i will get it. So i have a few questions about the town and area.

Firstly what is it like to live there? Are rents expensive? Is it a nice place to live? Would i be better of living in say Dun Laoire or closer to city and just getting Dart to and from work??

What is there to do in the town? Any good clubs, pubs etc? Is there a gym there? Cinema etc?

Any advice would be very welcome.

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

Ok, some will say Bray is a kip and others will beg to differ.
    In terms of shops and stuff there isnt much in Bray anymore due to the recession. The main street hasn't really got much now. There are plenty of euro shops and bookies. The cinema is gone and its a bingo hall now. The seafront is where the main night life is is a good number of pubs and nightclubs. Also the pub grub is good.
    You would have to look at Daft.ie for rent prices as I couldn't tell ya. Bray is my home and I plan to buy here but if you want a lot of goings on somewhere along the Dart line may suit. Just remember the location of the Dart in reference to your job. You may need to get other buses and stuff.
    There is a new pool and gym. shoreline.ie will give details

cheers.

All i have seen so far was the walk from the dart station to the royal hotel where i had interview. Maybe i could give it six months until i settle in job. Lived in Dub before and hated it so wont be going back to city but would be open to somewhere in between.

JOb is situated on main street so its a five min walk from dart.

Are there late dart/bus services if i wanted to go out in Dub and not kip on friends couch in city?

Where would be the nearest place for a surf?

Are there any cool pubs/clubs as opposed to the generic crap pubs with crap dj's playing crap music that every midsized Irish town has or am i asking too much here?

I will have more questions but this is all have for now.

cheers

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Bray's main attraction is the promenade but apart from this it's a bit kippish now indeed. Boarded shop fronts and tracksuited population don't make a great first impression but it's not a bad place to live for a while.

You have a choice of finding something on the N11 or on the Dart line too, both offer great commute options to Bray. Dun Laoghaire is not perfect either but has the advantage of having a cinema and more shopping options plus it's closer to town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

Dublin Bus and Finnegans do late night bus services to bray. Couldnt tell ya what the timetable is though but it would all be online. Again you would find tons of rooms to rent on Daft that are within walking distance to the main street. I hope the new year will bring more business to the place! Bray does have its 'tracksuit' population but I think everywhere does!! Not sure about the music thing but The Harbour Bar is said to be good. Your best bet would be to start at the top of Bray and work yourself through until you find the right place for you.
    I think it would be a good idea to live here for 6 mths anyway. The travel might make it worth it and you will never tell if you like a place unless you give it a go:)

• Advertisement

BTW check out The Mermaid for arts & culture, great spot.
    http://www.mermaidartscentre.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

frag420 wrote: »
    Firstly what is it like to live there? Are rents expensive? Is it a nice place to live? Would i be better of living in say Dun Laoire or closer to city and just getting Dart to and from work??

What is there to do in the town? Any good clubs, pubs etc? Is there a gym there? Cinema etc?
    frAg

I love Bray - I know lots of people don't

In terms of pubs - their is lots of choice
    The ones I would reccomend are; Hollands, The Harbour (not everyone likes it), O Driscolls, Martello, Porterhouse, Jim Doyles and the Vevay Inn

Clubs - not much choice; Porterhouse (thinks it's called eclectic garden), Martello (koo) and I think there's a club on the Quinsboro road as well

There are a few gyms; Peak Health on Dublin Road (on way out of Bray), Shoreline Leisure (near Greystones)

Nearest Cinema is Dun Laoighaire or maybe Dundrum - sometimes the mermaid do arthouse cinema
    Are there late dart/bus services if i wanted to go out in Dub and not kip on friends couch in city?

Yes -

Finnegans
    Every Thursday, Friday and Saturday Night at 01:00 to Bray and 03:00 to Bray ,Greystones and Kilcoole. Also Sundays on Bank Holiday weekends

Dublin Bus
    Friday - Saturday
    00:00 02:00 04:00

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    There are a few gyms; Peak Health on Dublin Road (on way out of Bray), Shoreline Leisure (near Greystones)

Just to complete this, there is a Shoreline Leisure with pool, gym and astro courts off the Southern Cross in Bray as well.

Ah nice one folks.

FInd out tomorow about job. Fingers crossed

THanks for all the advice/pointers.

IL get you all a pint if i get the job*

frAg

*in no way is this legally binding. Pint refers to water+orange cordial in a small glass.

its in the bag!!

See you al lin Bray someday soon

frAg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Frag,

Congrats on the Job.

Since you will be working in the town maybe pop down to the carlisle to watch some footy when the season starts back up.

Cheers Tippex

For a minute there i thought the carlisle was a pub!! Yeah im sure il have o pop along for the odd game on a cold windy night!! Whenever Sligo rovers are in town at least!!

Right must get back to the packing

frAg

moved into place at end of dargle road beside roundabout. name of apt block escapes me at the min.

Anyways just wondering if anyone knows what buses run by there as will need to be in town for nine in the morn for work.

cheers guys

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

The 185 goes from Enniskerry to Bray and that goes by your apt. Its Riversdale btw but I don't think the buses run very regularly so it might be better to walk. It's really not that far and if you walk through the peoples park it might cheer ya up on the way to work:).

jus remembered he apartments are called la vallee apts.

will drop into town tomorow to get timetable.

yeah the walk in is nice but with the way the weather has been lately i think getting the bus wold be a good idea.

thanks foxy06

frAg

Had a nice we nosey about Bray today. The shorefront is cool enough(some places could do with a facelift) but generally it is a cool looking area. I grew up in bundoran so tacky seafronts are second nature to me but the architecture is better n bray.Surprised i could not get food in the porterhouse at lunchtime as really wanted some hot hot chicken wings!!

In all it looks like a cool place you guys have got here although stil have oads more to see. Saw on another thread locals calling it a kip and all that but it has nothing bad that any midsized irish town has got going on.

the one thing i could not find was a nice we coffee shop with comfy chairs that i could sit down and read my book. Must have decent coffee too. Free coffee to the best recommendation. Also looking forward to getting up that big hill south of town for a gawp around.

Thats all i have for now

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Had a nice we nosey about Bray today. The shorefront is cool enough(some places could do with a facelift) but generally it is a cool looking area. I grew up in bundoran so tacky seafronts are second nature to me but the architecture is better n bray.Surprised i could not get food in the porterhouse at lunchtime as really wanted some hot hot chicken wings!!

In all it looks like a cool place you guys have got here although stil have oads more to see. Saw on another thread locals calling it a kip and all that but it has nothing bad that any midsized irish town has got going on.

the one thing i could not find was a nice we coffee shop with comfy chairs that i could sit down and read my book. Must have decent coffee too. Free coffee to the best recommendation. Also looking forward to getting up that big hill south of town for a gawp around.

Thats all i have for now

frAg

La Vallee are lovely apartments - friend moved out of there recently. Nice area but bit of a stroll into town.
    Yeah Porterhouse hit by recession & now only open at 5pm. You should have gone into Jim Doyles... prob the best food of the 3 pubs - very consistant - have never ever had a bad meal there ( unlike the other 2 - can be very hit & miss). They have really comfy chairs outside in the summer & their coffee is excellent. lol. Really nice pub & lovely staff.
    But since its winter..... The boathouse at bottom of Bray Head is really good for a take away & a stroll ( hot cup in hand). Just up from the bowling alley heading to the mainst ( Quinnsboro rd) the same lady owns a gorgeous little coffeeshop - excellent for lunch & really good service. Other than that go to Liz Annes on the main st & order your coffee with an extra shot..... Further up town is munch ( Actually Liz Annes brother owns this one) same good strong coffee again - Nice seating upstairs for a lounge & a read. Other than that Avoca or Powerscourt but overpriced .

Welcome onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Also looking forward to getting up that big hill south of town for a gawp around.

frAg

Rule no. 1 : Bray Head must be referred to as a mountain;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

foxy06 wrote: »

Why? I think 1,000ft is usually the cut-off point for a mountain and I seem to remember that Bray Head summit is 791ft. Anyway good luck up there but go armed in case you meet any scumbags.

foxy06 wrote: »

frAg....the guy that went up a hill and came down a mountain.

I always thought rule number 1 was you do not talk about the hill.
    Rule number 2.you do not talk about the hill

Dont worry im gonna arm myself with some soap and shower gel. that should repel the scumbags or at least blind em for a few mins while i absale down the side of the hill to my getaway boat!!

Or would a base jump be better?

frAg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

okay coffee,
    best coffee in Bray is either gusto italino on Quinnsboro Rd or in the italian coffee shop on albert avenue beside the Dublin Bus depot, there is no where really with big couches, although they do have couches in the Porterhouse and sell coffee its open earlier on the weekends,

regards and best of luck in Bray

Coffee & Treats on Quinsboro Road is a nice place to sit down with your coffee and read, no couches but nice cosy tables. Or maybe there's a sofa too? can't remember!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

vasch_ro wrote: »
    okay coffee,
    best coffee in Bray is either gusto italino on Quinnsboro Rd or in the italian coffee shop on albert avenue beside the Dublin Bus depot, there is no where really with big couches, although they do have couches in the Porterhouse and sell coffee its open earlier on the weekends,

regards and best of luck in Bray

Agree with you there about the coffee.

There is no comfortable place to sit and have a coffee though - unless The Polish Bistro is still open on the seafront (down by Rainbows icecream parlour) as they were doing renovations there last week,

And check out the comedy club at the MArtello as well. Runs the first Wednesday of every month.

I'm actually in Bundoran now - the Bray of the west. Just saw a calendar of old Bundoran pics - looked amazing in its day.

waves wrote: »
    unless The Polish Bistro is still open on the seafront (down by Rainbows icecream parlour)

Where's that exactly?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I know I'll get slaughtered for this but I still think McDonald's do the nicest coffee in town. However, if it's for atmosphere and company the Boat House and Coffee & Treats. Great ice cream at the Gelataria on Quinsboro' Road. Don't be put off by the knockers. I blew in here apprehensively 14 years ago and haven't had a bother since. It's what you make it yourself. Plus, if you want to escape just drive not too far in any direction and you'll be occupied by sea, mountain, forest or city. Not too many towns can boast that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

brayblue24 wrote: »
    I know I'll get slaughtered for this but I still think McDonald's do the nicest coffee in town. However, if it's for atmosphere and company the Boat House and Coffee & Treats. Great ice cream at the Gelataria on Quinsboro' Road. Don't be put off by the knockers. I blew in here apprehensively 14 years ago and haven't had a bother since. It's what you make it yourself. Plus, if you want to escape just drive not too far in any direction and you'll be occupied by sea, mountain, forest or city. Not too many towns can boast that

well i know there was free vouchers for mc donalds coffee knocking around maybe i should give it a try
    the best value coffee is the little red shop opp gamestop and beside finnbees main street normally 1.50 to go and its quite good

Advertisement