Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unable to access one website

Options
  • 11-11-2009 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I am unable to access one particular website all evening. It's just a forum site that I have accessed nearly every day for the past 2.5 years without any isssue, until tonight. I connect by wireless to the BB router.

I've tried using firefox, and I get this error: The connection has timed out

If I use IE I get this error: The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

If I ping the site: the request times out
    I got its IP address from CentralOps and it doesn't work either. In the browser or pinging)
    If I try to access it using the wireless on my phone, the browser times out.

I know the site is not down as the other half can access it from his work, as I asked him to test for me.

What could be the problem here? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

MargeS wrote: »
    I am unable to access one particular website all evening. It's just a forum site that I have accessed nearly every day for the past 2.5 years without any isssue, until tonight. I connect by wireless to the BB router.

If I use IE I get this error: The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

I got its IP address from CentralOps and it doesn't work either. In the browser or pinging)

I know the site is not down as the other half can access it from his work, as I asked him to test for me.

Possibilities:

it's IP address moved/changed and you have a stale DNS lookup for it. Use ipconfig /flushdns to dump your DNS cache.

your particular route to it is broken, post the result of a traceroute

it's blocked by your ISP, unlikely but not impossible since you didn't give the URL.

There's always http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Sounds like a DNS or routing issue.

Let's take the easiest way of finding out; flush your DNS resolver cache. (sh1t, didn't read the first reply asking to do this also, ha ha)

Open a Command Prompt window and type in "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes). Try accessing the site again.

Let us know how it goes, and if it fails, we can go from there and explore another little trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Spear wrote: »
    Possibilities:
    it's IP address moved/changed and you have a stale DNS lookup for it. Use ipconfig /flushdns to dump your DNS cache.
    Dump was successful. Still can't access site.
    your particular route to it is broken, post the result of a traceroute
    Tracing route to biker.ie [85.17.165.16]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     2 ms     2 ms  192.168.1.254
      2    16 ms    16 ms    17 ms  89.19.64.130
      3    18 ms    17 ms    17 ms  89.19.64.201
      4    17 ms    17 ms    17 ms  89.19.64.177
      5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

It's down just for me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's down just for me!

The site's up fine, the problems with Vodafone, as nothing is getting beyond one of their nodes.

And just below your thread we have this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055737426

• Advertisement

Thank you Spear. I see the vodafone support forum is down too, so there is now way to contact them at the mo. It's obviously country wide so! :rolleyes:

Thanks again. Just annoying when it seemed only one site was effected. :o

From OpenDNS.org:

Can you use those as your DNS server in the meantime and then report back?

To do this, you must go to Network Connections (XP) / Network and Sharing Center (Vista and 7).

Then open Local Area Connection, click on Properties. Go down to TCP/IP (IPv4) and hit Properties. Then manually enter the two DNS IP's on the bottom two fields respectfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭lynchie

DECEiFER wrote: »
    From OpenDNS.org:

Can you use those as your DNS server in the meantime and then report back?

To do this, you must go to Network Connections (XP) / Network and Sharing Center (Vista and 7).

Then open Local Area Connection, click on Properties. Go down to TCP/IP (IPv4) and hit Properties. Then manually enter the two DNS IP's on the bottom two fields respectfully.

OpenDNS wont sort this issue out as its a routing issue not a DNS resolution issue.

lynchie wrote: »
    OpenDNS wont sort this issue out as its a routing issue not a DNS resolution issue.
    That's a very good point, one I neglected to note in my haste. Assuming the DNS is doing its job, that IP in the traceroute is up-to-date (must check now). Then it would indeed by a routing issue.

There's nothing that you can do, only wait for the problem to be resolved, which won't happen until tomorrow I'd imagine (could be wrong, though, as it could happen tonight or may not happen until next week!).

I've started using freeproxyserver.net to get to the site, and so far it's working. Thanks all for replying - much appreciated.

• Advertisement

I've started using freeproxyserver.net to get to the site, and so far it's working. Thanks all for replying - much appreciated.
    Excellent stuff, no problems. I hope Vodafone get their issues sorted soon.

Advertisement