Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-11-2009, 21:39   #1
dpedge

Irish Star Trek Convention

Any Star Trek fans out there like myself interested in a Star Trek convention in Ireland? I think the last one was a decade ago!!!
Advertisement
09-11-2009, 21:43   #2
AcePuppetMaster
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I went to two and they were great. I got to meet Majel Barrett and she signed a picture of the Klingon Bird of Prey sling-shoting around the sun.

Ah, the good old days!
09-11-2009, 21:54   #3
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Vague memory of something in Mosney...Star Trek The Experience? Would that be right? I remember imitation transporter panels, Captains Chairs etc.....
(2) thanks from:
09-11-2009, 22:02   #4
AcePuppetMaster

I think the ones I went to were in Dublin, one is Malahide and one in Wynnes Hotel in the city center. I also remember the Romulan ale...
Thanks from:
09-11-2009, 23:38   #5
nyarlothothep

Ahh I went to the malahide one, I nearly got my pic taken with Sulu and still have a TOS novelty mug and gorn figurine from that day. Remember watching I Borg in the screening room. Golden memories.
Advertisement
10-11-2009, 06:42   #6
AcePuppetMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpedge View Post
Any Star Trek fans out there like myself interested in a Star Trek convention in Ireland? I think the last one was a decade ago!!!
To answer your question nyarlothothep, hell yea, I'd love to see another one. Does anyone know who was involved in the Federation of Ireland (was that what it was called?)? Maybe we could get it started up again or at least do a once off convention? I'm voting to get 7 of 9 in for...ahem...some input form the Borg's perspective. (I hope resistance is futile!)

Golden memories indeed. My old bedroom door in my mother's house still has that sticker of Troi saying: "I feel great pain, someone pass me some aspirin!"
10-11-2009, 13:37   #7
Slarkon

ye i went to the mosney one years ago as well. no memories though - all smoked away
10-11-2009, 15:20   #8
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by User45701 View Post
ye i went to the mosney one years ago as well. no memories though - all smoked away
Prob for the best man Now was it Mosney....or Craggy Island I seen it at....
10-11-2009, 17:23   #9
Johnny Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcePuppetMaster View Post
I think the ones I went to were in Dublin, one is Malahide and one in Wynnes Hotel in the city center. I also remember the Romulan ale...
I was at the Wynnes Hotel one. Man, that was a long time ago. They showed a video tape of Q Who which was way ahead of the eps seen on TV here at the time. It was great!
Advertisement
10-11-2009, 17:48   #10
AcePuppetMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Storm View Post
I was at the Wynnes Hotel one. Man, that was a long time ago. They showed a video tape of Q Who which was way ahead of the eps seen on TV here at the time. It was great!
Oh yea, it was sooo cool to see Q Who! I really miss the whole experience of it all, the dress up, the games, the laughs, the celebrities etc. It was all great craic!
10-11-2009, 19:38   #11
Slarkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Storm View Post
feck ya i remember when we used to bo so far behind the US when it came to TV shows!
10-11-2009, 19:44   #12
Owen

There was a horrible horrible horrible star trek club that used to meet in Moore Hotel (Known locally as Hoores Motel) in Cork. Biggest pack of social retards I've ever met. These days people in to Star Trek as far as I can tell are all able to hold a conversation and eye contact, so it could be a great thing to have it happen again.
10-11-2009, 20:34   #13
bigdaddyliamo

I went to the exhibition in mosney...good times! I've been saving up egg cartons for the last 10 years on the off chance that I'll need to put together a home made gorn costume...lol
13-11-2009, 21:58   #14
jahalpin

I was involved in running a few of the conventions around the country.

We had guests like John DeLancie (Q) and Gates McFadden (Beverly Crusher).

The conventions themselves were great fun, but they took a look of work and also very expensive to run. The number of people that was required to even break-even was very high.

The lack of new episodes to show at a convention is also a major problem.

The fan-run conventions were great fun and very laid back, which is the complete opposite to the corporate events that are now run in the US and the UK.

Perhaps someone could organise a fan-run convention in London as there is a much higher population and with the cheap flights with the likes of Ryanair, is almost as conveniant for most people as one in Ireland.

I also remember the Timewarp convention in Malahide (which I was not involved with running, but which I attended) with George Takei, it was great fun and very well organised.
16-11-2009, 10:22   #15
shinzon

This comes up every few weeks or months, damon and karen wise along with damons mother annie used to run Federation Europe, the last fan run con by these guys was corkcon with guest bjo trimble, I used to run the waterford club many years ago and was for a short time secretary of federation europe, I resigned due to an unfortuante incident which i dont need to go into

But yes good times, its a shame that corkcon wasnt a success as the following year if the con had of been profitable federation europe was set to stage watcon, my fondest memory was of David prowse being interviewed on our local radio station WLR, and of being on the radio myself with Bjo Trimble

As a previous poster said fan run cons are expensive things, what with guests fees air travel etc etc, so in all likelyhood cons unless there official will never be held in Ireland again, unless someone has a stash of money somewhere

Shin

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion