Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florence Marathon 2009

Options
  • 05-11-2009 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

I'm doing this on 29th November. Anyone doing it or has done it before? Tips, pointers and info welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Also plan on running, should the next few weeks go to plan ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

I did this in 2006, was enjoyable up to 15 miles where I got injured. Other than that, it's a nice marathon. A lot is made of the cobbles but they are not really an issue. It finishes in Santa Croce square where the mayor greets all finishers! Small expo, but lovely fleece-lined Asics winter top instead of t-shirt. It's a pretty flat course, except for a big downhill at the start, and I recall a nasty flyover somewhere around half way. There are buses to the start, but it's a short walk to the start from where the buses are and it saves the bother of some pretty chaotic "queuing." Would recommend it, plus you get to visit an amazing city... We booked an apartment just around the corner from the finish and made a week of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

that's great bazman...hope it all goes well over the next few weeks.

cheers ronanmac, the elevation profile looks good alright. I was just looking at the website and they allow personalized drinks / gels to be left at the aid stations which is pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bbvoglioviverec

Hello everybody,
    I live in Florence and I work for the social media team of Tuscany.
    It would be amazing to interview some of you who are participating on this marathon on Nov 29th.
    I will write several articles on it, some before the event, some after. I want to know all you think about it, expectations, if it is the first time, advices for the big day, if you are a team that always runs together...
    Contact me. :) Let's share experiences.
    Barbara

bbueno@h-art.it

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Hi ,
    I did the florence marathon last year (2008)- nice flat course except for the dwnhill at the start, definitley a course for a PB. The rain was very heavy before the start when we were all herded up but weather for the race was pleasant- cloudy but cool. Be prepared for a tough time between about miles 20-24 it goes through a park and it can be quite lonely- no people & wide long straight coming out of the park. I found the marathon to be well organised- plenty of water/energy drinks/energy food etc.
    Nice city to go for a marathon there was 5 of us lads and we kinda tore into it after the marathon !

last bit of advice- don't try to be a hero and climb the tower opposite el duomo the day after (we did and it wasnt pretty!)
    Oh yeah remember that that the signs are in KM's ;)
    Mark

• Advertisement

Hi Mark,
    Thank you for sharing your experience. :)
    Can I use it in an article I am writing about Florence Marathon?
    Also, if you have any pics to share, send it to me: bbueno@h-art.it
    I hope it doesn't rain this year!
    Ciao ciao,
    Barbara

Hello Everybody,
    First I thank Simon for the interesting article he wrote for us.
    Here you can check it, at the ufficial Tuscany blog:

http://bit.ly/3ZEtwJ

All the best,

Barbara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Some Irish results from Florence today:
    Bazman 2.24.00
    Brian MacMahon 2.24.14
    Donna Mahon 2.53
    Rob Cummins 2.59.60 :)
    Aisling Coppinger 3.10.00
    Sarah Moores 3.30

Rob and Aisling used this run as a training run for an Ultra in France next weekend. Very good debut for Donna. Bazman and Brian should be happy with those times and it will give them confidence to move on to faster times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Rob and Aisling used this run as a training run for an Ultra in France next weekend. ...

Training run :eek: Thats just want the rest of us struggling marathoners want to hear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Awesome running folks. Well done.

Bazman and Brian should be happy with those times and it will give them confidence to move on to faster times.

Faster times! OMG , ye guys will be representing Ireland in the Olympics yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Rob and Aisling used this run as a training run for an Ultra in France next weekend.
    Could you wish them the best of luck from me. I wish I was going too.

I have some pics from yesterday at the Florence Marathon. Click here: http://ow.ly/H5rS

Advertisement