Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy Just Came TO My Door Purporting To Be Selling "SKY"

Options
  • 05-11-2009 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

He was dressed in Civvies, called into none of the other houses, {even though we have a satellite up for Freeview} and had NO ID

He had all his packages learned off by heart

Stupid father tried to give him my mothers bank details, then asked me for mine...I told him to get shut of the guy at the door.

Idiot father handed out the landline number.....and then all of a sudden somebody, purporting to be "Jason from SKY" rang.

This guy is clearly a chancer, but whats his angle? Outright fraud? Or just trying to muscle in on some middleman installation deal? He must have seen the satellite, its clear on the front of the house, what reason would he have had to not think it was already SKY?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

sky are running the "refer a friend" arent they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

sky are running the "refer a friend" arent they?

This guy had a country accent, here we are in North Wicklow, he had NO ID, period. I mean he didnt even have a drivers licence.

Refer-A-Friend, maybe, but thats a long shot. Why call to a house that had a satellite installed already?

With a QuAD LNB and all.

Nah...I am going outside, if I see this bum again I am going to have words.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

call the cops..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

John mac wrote: »
    call the cops..

Yep. Just had a massive roaring match the old man, who says he cannot do what he wants in his own house. Not when you are trying to hand out details to people on the doorstep you can't, you old fool. All I know is that he left the estate in a silver Hyundai {which is what SKY installers use, of course:rolleyes:} and he didnt call into any other house.

Apparently, his opening pitch was "Do ye have Sky".

Auld Fella: "No only some cheapo thing the younglad got in"

Skyster: "Well, you cant get SKY on that"

Auld Fella: ":eek: :eek: :eek:"

Skyster: "Yeh. You need to take that down and put up another one and then there is a charge for that, I can set it all up for you now, if you have your sort and account details"

Auld Fella "hauld on...{runs back into the house} give us the details Pauline

Pauline "I am not giving anything out at the door"

Auld Fella {runs upstairs- something he has not done since 1987}.....give us your details there Son

Son: F&&K RIGHT OFF

Auld Fella: {runs back down stairs}..."I have no details"

Skyster....."Sky will ring you if you give me your number"

Auld Fella "here it is"

Phone: Rings.

Auld Fella...."hello, is that SKY"

etc.

At this point the conversation sort of tapered off and when it was obvious they were getting nowhere your man made some excuse and cleared off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

A Sky door to door Agent should have Sky photo ID including the name of the company he works for or their ASA ( Sky assigned sales ID ), an ID number, official Sky contracts and an official blue Sky shirt with the Sky logo.

You obviously had Sky already so if his angle was an upgrade he did not need your bank details to do this.

It is a bit odd that he did not call to any other house, normally they do a whole estate in one go.

Your Dad was probably excited at the idea of getting a new set up. This in itself makes people more vulnerable to guys like your man at the door.

Do you have caller ID? If you're able to view the number call them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is possible that he was casing your house for a break in.

Often burglars will call at the door first to see if anyone answers, if someone answers the door then they make up some excuse about looking for mickey joes house. If no one answers, then they try to break into the house.

Maybe they are getting more sophisticated, pretending to by Sky installers, so that they also get the opportunity to steal your ID.

If your dad wants Sky, just get him to call Sky or an independent retailer (guys in shopping center) or here on the www.isaa.tv

Advertisement