Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out-of-body experiences explained.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

there has been a joint experiment running in american and british hospitals ,since last year,whereby they hide some artwork in an alcove in the hospital room and people undergoing operations are told if they have an outer body experience to check out the artwork and when they come back describe it.
    no success so far ,i believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

why would you waste your time trying to prove it to the doctors by checking out their probably-****-artwork if you can go anywhere you want! let them believe what they want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

because they are trying to determine if these are actual 'out of body experiences' or if they take place in the imaginations of the patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

netanyahu wrote: »
    why would you waste your time trying to prove it to the doctors by checking out their probably-****-artwork if you can go anywhere you want! let them believe what they want!

I'm thanking this post purely because I love your signature.

Carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

bit of a late reply but thanks neurotic ;)
    ps . how do i thanks a post? is there a thread about it? bit confused!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Reading Oliver Sacks "Musicophilia" at the moment. He gives accounts of similar. Frontal lobe seizures also trigger visual hallucinations in the form of lights surrounded by darkness as well as auditory hallucinations.

The thing is that these events are happening in the patients brain to the extent that the do actually seem real and as a result are life changing. The case he first talks about is an event that happened to a surgeon, it was so real to him that he refused to consider it as simply an hallucination even though he knew it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

netanyahu wrote: »
    bit of a late reply but thanks neurotic ;)
    ps . how do i thanks a post? is there a thread about it? bit confused!!!

Click on the thumbs up button on the very far right of the post ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I had one just 3 weeks ago, trying to remember as much as I can. But in my room I suddenly awoke completly paralyzed only to see something I could only describle as a green monster just walking out my door. I got up only too see "me" still on the bed. At the point I just went back to bed. Scared ****less afterwards to begging for more!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    I had one just 3 weeks ago, trying to remember as much as I can. But in my room I suddenly awoke completly paralyzed only to see something I could only describle as a green monster just walking out my door. I got up only too see "me" still on the bed. At the point I just went back to bed. Scared ****less afterwards to begging for more!!

Sounds like it could also be Sleep Paralysis.

From the wiki article:
    In addition, the paralysis may be accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (hypnopompic or hypnagogic) and an acute sense of danger.
    Some scientists have proposed this condition as an explanation for alien abductions and ghostly encounters.

As for the link with OOB:
    Many perceptions associated with sleep paralysis (visceral buzzing, loud sounds, adrenal mental state, presences, and the paralysis itself) also constitute a common phase in the early progression of episodes referred to as out of body experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I love the way the mainstream scientists - those with the closed minds - try to make out these things as being hallucinations etc. It's been proven beyond doubt that theres something supernatural going on but scientists just ignore evidence or explain it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

profitius wrote: »
    I love the way the mainstream scientists - those with the closed minds - try to make out these things as being hallucinations etc. It's been proven beyond doubt that theres something supernatural going on but scientists just ignore evidence or explain it away.

How so? Any evidence handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I've heard accounts of people who saw things that they couldn't possible have seen and heard conversations etc. Actually many doctors who were mainstream in their thinking now believe in life after death as a result.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

It's been proven beyond doubt that theres something supernatural going on but scientists just ignore evidence or explain it away.

I don't know how often you post in this forum profitius but you'll need to post a cite/link to back up such a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭briscotti

i wouldn't use the term supernatural to describe it as I believe it is completely natural. You should look up 'DMT'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭alandublin15

related to topic.
    pretty interesting.
    almost 1.5 million views.
    suitable for both tree-hugger and determinist skeptic.

academic on homemade acid trip
    doctor having emotional breakdown
    or
    neuroanatomist with really really important story.
    who knows?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^Sounds like one hell of a trip!! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Trollsbury Trollington

Prof Pim Van Lomell.

Advertisement