Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Trad Musicians Wanted

Options
  • 28-10-2009 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I have wanted to do this for a long time and it's time I bite the bullet and get it started.

I'm looking for musicians out there who are interested in giving bands like Kila and Moving Hearts a run for their money!! People who listen to bands like Lunasa and Solais and think "man that would rock with some drums and a bass - give it a comepletley new groove".

Musicicians who are about the perfomance as well as the quality of the music.

People who want to get experimental within the boundries of traditional music and try new things with it. Write new tunes, re vamp the old ones!

I don;t even want to limit the number of people/musicians involved in this - lets make it a collective if needs be!

Are you the next Davy Spillane, Michael McGoldrick or Paul kelly?

I just need musicians enthusiastic about Trad and the energy and emotion it can envoke and I need them to conatct me!

I've been drumming/playing percussion for 10 years and this is something I've always wanted to do. If you're still reading and interested drop me a PM or reply here. INterested in seeing what sort of musicians respond and then we can all arrange to meet up.

My "musical CV" reads like this -
    Have played over 400+ gigs across Ireland and Europe with artists such as
    Leanne Harte - www.myspace.com/leannehartemusic
    Eoin Glackin - www.myspace.com/eoinglackin
    Simon Fagan - www.myspace.com/simonfagan
    The Last Crash - www.myspace.com/thelastcrash
    Wicked Wilf (for anyone who frequented Slatterys in Rathmines)

I've extensive Live and Studio work and I've grown up aroud Trad music my whole life - now it's time to get playing it on a serious level.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭jmurf100

Where abouts are you based?

I play the banjo & mandolin and would be interested.

Have you had much interest so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

Bassist here, sounds great. PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Paul S

Hey lads - I've had some great interest in this so far. I'm also pulling on board a few musicians from my past to get involved.

I'm based in Lucan but completely flexible with regard to rehearsals etc.

Drop me a PM with your details and I'll send a blanket email to everyone when I can arrange to get everyone together and have a chat about it. ]

Really interested in getting a Piper and a good flute player on board if you know anyone.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 morja

hi, am a flute player interested in your new group! Can play fast reels, jigs etc. Haven't been playing a lot in the last couple years, play at weddings church ceremony a lot.
    Looking to get involved in something along lines of what you are talking about for ages now. Still looking for a flute player?

Originally from North Co. Dublin but living in Kells in Meath now.

Jane

Definately interested Jane - will you PM me your contact details. Arranging a meeting next week for all thos who are interested.
    Cheers,
    Paul

• Advertisement

need some more lead trad musicians - fiddle player, box player, banjo/mandolin,piper - get in touch!

bass player, guitarist and 2 potential flautists sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

I take it this will be in Dublin. :(
    If, by a long shot, it's not, I'm a whistle player with over 20 years of experience living out whesht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 castlesb

Very interesting! I'm based near Kilcock and play concertina and low whistle. Been playing in bands for years but mostly abroad and would love to do something based in Ireland.
    I'll PM you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I'm a mandolin player living in Ashbourne. When I say player, used to be but HAVE to get back into it!

Love the re-vamping idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fiddlequeen

Hi

I Sent you a pm i'm a flute player also play fiddle, banjo and Saxophone!
    But mainly fiddle and flute
    Awaiting your message Tess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ceatharloch

Good luck with the venture! A few of the others might be in the "whesht", like me (am in Galway City). Maybe we can have a separate group around
    Galway City? I have always wanted too to rock/jazz up trad music. I play
    regular trad sessions, but am always trying to persuade bass guitar and/or
    drums to join us, and on the jazz end saxophone (or - which serves the
    same purpose - clarinet) as Sharon Shannon sometimes uses!

So for those interested, who can't go to the East Coast (Dublin) to play,
    we play regularly (Thursdays) in Galway City, and would love some new
    people to add jazz/rock to things.......:)

Michael

Thanks to everyone who has replied - really exciting start to this project.
    Make sure you PM me an email address and I'll have replied to everyone by this evening.
    Hopefully I'll have everyone meet up straight after Christmas.

Rehearsal studio sorted in Dublin city center also. Just off Dame street so very central! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MickyBaker

Hi there,

Im a professional Guitarist/bouzouki player.
    Ive played with all the top trad players from Frankie Gavin (De Danann) to Noel Hill.

I was the bouzouki player in the only Bothy Band Tribute Band ever. Just to give you an idea of the lineup that night --
    -Me - bouzouki
    Michael Mc Goldrick - flute
    John Mc Sherry - pipes
    Karen Casey - vocals

I curently work with
    - Brian Mc Grath( ex pianist with Seane Keane- singer)
    - John Carty (trad musician of the year 2004)
    - John Mc Sherry in ( Played pipes with donal lunnys celtic rock band Coolfin)

I know my way big time round my instruments. I recently started learning bits of jazz and blues as well.

All the best,

Mick
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Good luck with the venture! A few of the others might be in the "whesht", like me (am in Galway City). Maybe we can have a separate group around
    Galway City? I have always wanted too to rock/jazz up trad music. I play
    regular trad sessions, but am always trying to persuade bass guitar and/or
    drums to join us, and on the jazz end saxophone (or - which serves the
    same purpose - clarinet) as Sharon Shannon sometimes uses!

So for those interested, who can't go to the East Coast (Dublin) to play,
    we play regularly (Thursdays) in Galway City, and would love some new
    people to add jazz/rock to things.......:)

Michael
    Hi Michael,
    where do you play on Thursdays?
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

We have a similar project going on, how is yours going.

I am playing guitar 25 years, no videos or previous form to promote.

Would liek to have a listen to where you are at now.

We have low whistle, guitar (both leads) crazy drummer, mandola, mandolin, playing trad world jazz fusion with storming tribal back beat

Advertisement