Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athy. Biggest kip in Kildare???

Options
  • 23-10-2009 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi all,

New here so excuse the rant but what has happened to this place eh?? Used to be so nice. But over the last ten years it's gone to the dogs. EVerytime I drive through now it jut seems to be filling up with more and more thrash. Now |I know there are loads of nice decent hard working people in the town. BUt the majority of these people just dont seem to be seen anymore.

Can anyone restore my faith in this place please??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

I'm not a Townie but I've worked with plenty from Athy & have Cosuins there so have some experience there.
    Like Emigrant, Castle Inn & Andersons.
    Supersmacks after too!
    Nice Library.
    Pettitts-Supervalu is ok plus there's a LIDL oposite Train Station. Maxwell Motors, Athy News & Deli. The new S.C. on L.H.S. as you come out of Train Station seems to have hit the skids in current climate.
    Bradburys is nice for a Spot of Lunch.
    And shure isn't Jack L from the area?
    The Golf Club is a good amenity & I know Groundskeeper there. Nice fellow.
    Wouldn't say it'd be the Biggest Kip in Kildare by a Long Shot.
    It's got some lovely architecture e.g. Library & a great walk along canal there.
    Also for 2d-Year in a Row, 2010 will see hosting of Ploughing Championships in Cardenton House.
    A real shot in the arm for Clonard Court & Carlton Abbey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

kildare town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

I'm not a Townie but I've worked with plenty from Athy & have Cosuins there so have some experience there.
    Like Emigrant, Castle Inn & Andersons.
    Supersmacks after too!
    Nice Library.
    Pettitts-Supervalu is ok plus there's a LIDL oposite Train Station. Maxwell Motors, Athy News & Deli. The new S.C. on L.H.S. as you come out of Train Station seems to have hit the skids in current climate.
    Bradburys is nice for a Spot of Lunch.
    And shure isn't Jack L from the area?
    The Golf Club is a good amenity & I know Groundskeeper there. Nice fellow.
    Wouldn't say it'd be the Biggest Kip in Kildare by a Long Shot.
    It's got some lovely architecture e.g. Library & a great walk along canal there.
    Also for 2d-Year in a Row, 2010 will see hosting of Ploughing Championships in Cardenton House.

1. Castle inn is getting more rough everyweek. Andersons is very clanish to say the least, plus there's more drugs go through there than through a pharmacy.

2. Supermacs....... are you serious.

3. library.. well ok i'll give you that.

4. Supervalue rip off. Lidil ok for cheap beer i suppose.

5.JAck L isn't from Athy he lived outside it. People from there just like to say he is. Just like that Kenny one who won the rose of tralee. Sure she hasn't lived there in years.

6. As for the Canal walk or "down the line as it's known" your taking your life in your hands walking down there!! THe "horse bridge" always has a load of lads hanging out lookin for trouble.

7. Ploughing championship might create money for the shops but the traffic is ten times worse and it's already bad.

have to do better than that.

kildare town.

MMMmmmmm you could be right there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Wrong!! The Clonard Court was the HQ for the ploughing, and prob will be next year (same family own the land that was used for the ploughing)

Tilt Gone wrote: »

5.JAck L isn't from Athy he lived outside it.

Just how far outside the town do you have to be to qualify? it's only a couple of miles at most!!!

Just like that Kenny one who won the rose of tralee. Sure she hasn't lived there in years.

years?? how old do you think she is? She was born, reared and educated in the town, and eventually left to go to college

6. As for the Canal walk or "down the line as it's known" your taking your life in your hands walking down there!! THe "horse bridge" always has a load of lads hanging out lookin for trouble.

The Canal Walk is down along the canal, "down the line" is down the old railway track, the Horsebridge is along the Barrow Track otherwise known as the "slip". Taking your life in your own hands is obviously referring to the gangs that used hang around there in the late 70's and early 80's!! Things have improved since then!!

7. Ploughing championship might create money for the shops but the traffic is ten times worse and it's already bad.

Wrong, complete opposite, there was practically no traffic in the town during the ploughing, and it has been confirmed that the traffic plan was the best one ever!!

I'm not here to promote the town, but if you're going to knock it, at least get your facts right!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

1. Castle inn is getting more rough everyweek. Andersons is very clanish to say the least, plus there's more drugs go through there than through a pharmacy.

2. Supermacs....... are you serious.

3. library.. well ok i'll give you that.

4. Supervalue rip off. Lidil ok for cheap beer i suppose.

5.JAck L isn't from Athy he lived outside it. People from there just like to say he is. Just like that Kenny one who won the rose of tralee. Sure she hasn't lived there in years.

have to do better than that.

Nothing as bad as someone with an opinion of mis-informed tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

What if anything wouldn't class the Town of Athy as the biggest kip in Kildare.
    I passed through it several times during the summer and it certainly didn't leave much of an impression on me.
    I wonder what Jeremey Lanigan thought about it all....

whycliff wrote: »
    Nothing as bad as someone with an opinion of mis-informed tripe.

I would love for you to state your age please Whycliff. Mis informed???? Not as much as you would think. I lived here for years and have nothing but horror stories about this place. Sure there are hundreds of decent people living here but they are unfortunatley out shone by the minority of little welps that cause the majority of the trouble. Depending on where you live in this towm might also have a lot to do with your day to day experiences in this place. Surely you would have to agree with that!! No??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

I heard somewhere that Athy was voted the most backward town in Ireland??
    Having been there plenty of times its not the worst!

I heard somewhere that Athy was voted the most backward town in Ireland??
    Having been there plenty of times its not the worst!

Lol wouldn't go that far. It was however voted the 6th worst place to live in Ireland back in 2000 by The Star newspaper. But then again who wants anyone living near them who reads The Star ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

i thought Athy was one of the larger settlements in kildare.
    i went through the curragh camp today. for a military village its quite delapidated. a lot of council type houses. i can't imagine athy being worse.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Athy has a run down and dilapidated look about it every time I drive though the town. Also the traffic is bad - whatever happened to the much vaunted inner relief road?

The Grand Canal and River Barrow are by far Athy's biggest asset but not enough is done to make the town use this resource properly.

There seems to have been quite a lot of old style industry in the town that's long since closed but not replaced or redeveloped.

At least Kildare town has the Japanese Gardens, the National Stud and the round tower going for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

As a business owner in Athy I can say that businesses are trying btheir best to make the town better.

Almost all the shop fronts have been painted,
    Some new stores have opened,
    Number & quality of restaurants have improved
    General cleaning & appearance of streets has improved greatly

still lots to be done
    the canal & barrow it totally under utilised
    the traffic continues to be a problem
    unemployment plays a role in anti social behaviour but its not nearly as bad as it used to be

Overall Athy has improved greatly over the past 4 years and a new forward thinking business grouping has been set up and the chamber of commerce is also doing it bit.

I would love for you to state your age please Whycliff. Mis informed???? Not as much as you would think. I lived here for years and have nothing but horror stories about this place. Sure there are hundreds of decent people living here but they are unfortunatley out shone by the minority of little welps that cause the majority of the trouble. Depending on where you live in this towm might also have a lot to do with your day to day experiences in this place. Surely you would have to agree with that!! No??

My age is irrelevent Tit gone wrong.

I have lived in Athy all my life. As have all my family, We owned a number of businesses in the town over the years, i'm involved with a numer of different clubs in the town there wouldnt be too many people i dont know in the town.
    Everyone for the most part is friendly as pleasent.
    As is the case in all towns throughout Ireland, there are some bad apples.

The town has a Gael Scoil, only opened in the last 4 or 5 years.
    They have recently moved into their state of the art school built on the monasterevin road.

The town has a great Heritage, from Edmond Rice to Ernest Shackleton.
    Athy's GAA pitch known as Geraldine Park has hosted a number of All Ireland finals in the early 1900's.

Jack L is form Athy, he is from Loughman's Garage who use to be Peugeot Dealers approx half a mile outside the town.
    His real Name is Sean Loughman and he went to school in the Technical College out the Carlow road. He is the same age as my brother which is around 36/37.

John MacKenna an award winning writer is also from Athy, his son Ewan also writes and is currently writing for the the Sunday Tribune.
    Ewan went to Scoil Eoin christian brothers school.
    Ewan helped Oisin McConville write his biography "The Gambler".
    Oisin spent some time in Cuain Mhuire in Athy in rehab for gambling and drink addiction.
    Ewan is a passionate Kildare man, and i always see him in Newbridge in Jan/Feb at Kildare games when most people dont even know Kiladre is playing.

Ger Gilroy, currently a presenter on Newstalks sports show, off he ball is also from the town.
    Son Of Ger Gilroy also, a school teacher in the Town.

Jack Wall is a Labout TD and an absolute gentleman.
    He use to live in one of the so called roughest area's in the town.

Recently the town and its business owners started an initiative to improve the appearence of the town.
    Most businesses have redeveloped their shop fronts or improved their look by painting them.
    It hs greatly improved the image of the town.

Athy chamber of commerce has also launched an initiative to help businesses in the town. By releasing a book of Vouchers to encourage people to shop and keep their business in the town rather than going to bigger surrounding towns such as Carlow and Newbridge to do their shopping.

Tri Athy has become an annual triathlon event in athy with over 2500 competitiors in 2009 making it one of the biggest triathlons being held in Ireland.

Athy hosted the Ploughing championships in 2009, and is set to host it again in 2010 and 2011.
    The traffic management plan was one of the best ever seen for the ploughing in any town in Ireland.
    Anna May McHugh,is the managing director of the National Ploughing and Also a proud athy woman and was delighted to see the Championships in her home town.

Down the line is the track down along the river which is the Barrow, the second largest river in Ireland to the back of the courthouse.

The Canal walk is in fact the other end of town, and it the Grand Canal that links to dublin eventually.

Indeed unemployment is a problem, but it was once a booming town, with Batchelors,Minch Nortons,Tegral Slates,Canada Dry(Coca Cola) The Wall Board all providing jobs.
    Most of these have since closed.

As i said i know a awful lot about the town and the people in it.
    I'm not on here to tell people to come live in the town, its the best town in ireland or anything like that. It is far from it.
    I'm also not here to tell the people in the town are the most friendliest in ireland.
    They are probably not.
    It has its problems like each and every other town in Ireland, be it drugs or anti social behaviour.

€2million Euros worth of drugs was found in robertstown in Kildare, a town much smaller and less populated than Athy.
    I even think its a village.
    Believe it or not, this is 2009, drugs are available everywhere!

But strating up threads like Athy,the biggest kip in Kildare is just trolling in my opinion.

Whycliff, what has most of the above got to do with saying Athy is not a kip? Every town in Ireland has its problems.
    Just because 2 million worth of drugs were found in a town doesn't automatically classify it as a kip.
    IMO and it is only an opinion, that when you approach and drive through a town or village how it looks as a lasting memory.
    Athy seems to be a town that didn't do too well during Irelands boom times/celtic tiger.
    It is good to see people and shop owners spending money on their businesses but what about the places that have closed down or are for sale? These are the first things you would notice as you drive through any town.

Welcome to the discussion Ronan.
    Firstly I never siad Robertstown was a kip,there is nothing as bad as people who only half read posts.
    Robertstown is a very pleasent Village, have played football up there on many occassions.
    i was merely pointing out that drugs is readily available in every town and village throughout Ireland.
    The fact that 2 million was found in Robertstown backs up this point.
    An earlier poster suggested more drugs go through the Castle Inn than a Pharmacy, you can bet every country pub and village pub throughout Ireland had drugs in it.
    Obvioulsy bigger bars will have more drugs than smaller ones.
    Personally i was never offered drugs in any bar in athy, nor did i see anyone taking them.
    But i suppose people aren't going to do a line of Coke off the bar in front of you.

Just because businesses have closed, and there are empty buildings doesnt make a town a kip either Ronan.
    I agree that when u drive through a town, its the appearence that leaves a memory.
    But that does not mean the town is full of trash and scum in my opinion.

The OP was suggesting that the town is full of trash, and there is no decent people left in the town which could not be further from the truth.

My post was to show that i am very knowledgeable about the town of athy and the people in it,also the fact that Jack L(he openly admits he is on radio all the time) is from Athy and it has many other notable people from the town also.

As you said every town has its problems.
    You could start a thread in every region on boards on various towns being kips.

And people having opinions on villages, what opinion can people have on a shop,pup and petrol station all run by the one family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭loveforcelbridg

Sorry, I think celbridge,maynooth and leixlip are a bit more hard :rolleyes:

The OP was suggesting that the town is full of trash, and there is no decent people left in the town which could not be further from the truth.

And people having opinions on villages, what opinion can people have on a shop,pup and petrol station all run by the one family?

Erm, please read my posts again.

I said there are plenty of great people in Athy but the town looks like a kip. If you misunderstood what I was saying then that's your fault. The anglers rest has been standing there direlict for how many years now?? The Maxol beside Castle Park another unused dirty looking building. The shop all boarded up in Castle Park is another. I could go on. I was merely asking peoples opinion of the town.

Regards,

Tilt

Hi all,

New here so excuse the rant but what has happened to this place eh?? Used to be so nice. But over the last ten years it's gone to the dogs. EVerytime I drive through now it jut seems to be filling up with more and more thrash. Now |I know there are loads of nice decent hard working people in the town. BUt the majority of these people just dont seem to be seen anymore.

Can anyone restore my faith in this place please??

Decent hard working people doenst seem to be seen anymore and the town is filling up with more and more thrash??

Maybe its all the people from outside the town that is filling it with thrash like the people from Dublin and all the foreigners?

It that what you suggesting?

Regarding the unused Statoil garage, it was sold and is down for redevelopment until the recession hit. Who in there right mind would redevelop anywhere in the current climate?

Anglers Rest was burnt down a number of years back and as far as i know there is still on going insurance issues with that.

You werent asking people's opinion. You gave your own opinion which ws full of inaccuracies .

If i was looking for an opinion on something, i would have just Typed "Athy Town, What is your opinion"?

Whycliff, if you cared to read I posted more then once on this thread. Second of all, I think you are taking it a bit personal.
    The appearance of the town is the first thing that sticks in peoples minds and anytime i have drove through it, the first thing that comes to my mind is run down and forgotten about.

• Advertisement

ronaneire wrote: »
    Whycliff, if you cared to read I posted more then once on this thread. Second of all, I think you are taking it a bit personal.
    The appearance of the town is the first thing that sticks in peoples minds and anytime i have drove through it, the first thing that comes to my mind is run down and forgotten about.

+ 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Regarding the unused Statoil garage, it was sold and is down for redevelopment until the recession hit. Who in there right mind would redevelop anywhere in the current climate?

The reason its not been developed is becasue due to the ongoing petrol price war in Athy, there's no profit in fuel sales and as the road its located on is not very busy, it would not have high vlumes of convienence stores sales to substitute.

Though on a positive side for Athy - its always amnongst the cheapest in the country for petrol & diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

The only thing they're concerned about down in Athy is GAA. Forget about making their town look better, its all about the football for most of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Unfortunately recent times have not been kind to Athy. While the towns of North Kildare were basically "pampered" with huge foreign direct investment, anywhere south of Kilcullen was largely forgotten.
    Minchs, Batchelors and Tegral were all amssive employers in their day. The hinterland around Athy remains fairly prosperous though, with large farms and basically "well to do" people traditionally.
    Athy became a town of two halves; commuters working elsewhere like Carlow, KK, Dublin, Portlaoise....and then those largely dependent on social welfare. There are several rundown estates like that one behind Petitts in particular. Athy needs a regeneration scheme badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bstatic

The town has a really bad name but recently I've spent alot more time lately in athy as my girlfriend is from there. I had preconceptions about it as it had a bad name, but I've found it to be a nice place with welcoming people.
    I do agree though it could do with some investment and development in certain areas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭loveforcelbridg

The town does not have a bad name atall,atall.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 load1234

The government is stupid, bad people should be in jail this ends the problem or fines 100 euros and costs rather than lets talk to the parents or lets let them off, no trash, more employment, people feel happy when bad people are put in jail fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Clueless09

Erm, please read my posts again.

I said there are plenty of great people in Athy but the town looks like a kip. If you misunderstood what I was saying then that's your fault. The anglers rest has been standing there direlict for how many years now?? The Maxol beside Castle Park another unused dirty looking building. The shop all boarded up in Castle Park is another. I could go on. I was merely asking peoples opinion of the town.

Regards,

Tilt

Your first post tilt specifically talked about the people in the town or the people the "town is filling up with" , and you went on after that to talk about the "little Welps" the place is full of so I also took your post to attack the people rather than the look of the place until this point.

I lived in Athy for 5 yrs just moved in March, not out of choice but i lost my job so it was out of necessity. I thought Athy was a great place to live, I had great neighbours and have great friends there. When my partner and I moved to Athy we knew nobody and everyone on our estate was really welcoming and we made friends there quick.

Of course there are problems there with teenagers etc but when i lived in Dublin I had my car broken into twice and also my apartment. There are anti social problems everywhere. I lived in Dundrum which is a lovely place but personally I encountered more anti social rubbish there than in Kildare.
    And before the shopping centre in Dundrum it was a delapidated place itself with a horrible old little shopping centre and flip all else. They were extremley lucky the shopping centre and luas are there now.

It would be great if money was invested into Athy, it seemed to have been ignored in boom times, but that is probably not going to happen in the near future.

I think if your from the town you should try see the good points and not be so negative. If you put out that kind of perception about your own town, that is the opinion people that have never even been there will have.

load1234 wrote: »
    The government is stupid, bad people should be in jail this ends the problem or fines 100 euros and costs rather than lets talk to the parents or lets let them off, no trash, more employment, people feel happy when bad people are put in jail fast.

What's it got to do with Athy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭_SONIC_

ohhhh tensions mounting people!! i think you should calm down or settle it with a good old knife fight! isnt that how things are settled in athy??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement