Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-10-2009, 11:52   #1
Danye

Skills/Achievements on a CV? What to write?

Hi, have a bit of a problem with writing my cv. It says list Skills/Achievments and basically im lost on what to write?

I left school in 2005 and went straight into work in construction and have been working there up until last month. So what can I really put down as a skill or achievment?

Going straight into gainful employment after school? Im a tradesman so do I list all the skills I attained while working on building sites?

Any help??? Thanks
Advertisement
16-10-2009, 23:26   #2
cronos

Its not about skills in that section I would expect.

Say stuff like

I worked as part of a team which sucessfully built a large appartment block between january 2008 and september 2008. My work was of high standard and met the expectactions of both my employer and the client.

I was a supervisor for.....
17-10-2009, 19:50   #3
artful_codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronos View Post
My work was of high standard
builders / high standard ? the clowns that built my apartment put the doors on back-to-front
17-10-2009, 21:07   #4
cronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by artful_codger View Post
builders / high standard ? the clowns that built my apartment put the doors on back-to-front
All the more reason to say your work is of high standard if you arent the kind of builder who puts on doors back to front.
18-10-2009, 14:19   #5
miec

Hi Op

What type of construction work did you do? Can you drive a fork lift truck or operate other types of construction equipment? Did you do carpentry/ painting/ labouring? If so how many bricks could you lay in an hour (I don't know if this of value to an employer). If you are going for a job outside of construction you can put in the CV that you can transfer many of these skills into the new job eg: working under pressure (ie: meeting contract deadlines, etc). Also have you done anything like First Aid or health and safety awareness, working with chemicals, etc, all of these can be useful. Spend time writing down every little detail, you would be suprised what you can dig up.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion