Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco job loses

Options
  • 14-10-2009 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭

It seems another big employer is pulling the plug on Irish operation. Have heard rumours this past while that Tesco are slashing jobs at that warehouse at Turvey.

Apparently 200 jobs have gone in the last 2 months in bit and pieces and not a word about it in papers or on Radio just your man Keohane on all about the price cuts. Transport is being done by Eddie Stobart an English company who start next month. Some staff have to "apply" for Volentary redundancy by next week or they will just be let go. The office work or quite a bit of it is going to England.

What is sickening is hte fact Tesco made serious profits last year and have a big banner up proclaiming the same as the workers were told they were finished.

How did Tesco manage to keep this so quiet? But more importantly what impact will these job losses have on North Dublin. Devastating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Once they keep the slashing of jobs under a certain number, you don't have to mention it officially, which it sounds like they have been doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

They made an announcement about redundancies in May - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0513/breaking65.html

But didn't mention that there would be job losses in Dublin North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

LeoB wrote: »
    Apparently 200 jobs have gone in the last 2 months in bit and pieces and not a word about it in papers or on Radio just your man Keohane on all about the price cuts.

So I take if you don't read the papers or listen to the radio ? It's been all over the place, including boards.
    Eoineo wrote: »
    IIRC 2 years ago a large Irish-based distribution company (Whelan Transport) suffered massive job losses when Tesco decided to do away with outsourcing their distribution services and use their own staff/transport. A rotten turnaround to employ a UK company in such a short space of time which possibly won't generate jobs for the area.

This site is full of people spouting ****e and nonsense purely because Tesco is not an Irish company. Whelans were dropped by Dunnes, an Irish family owned company, who incidentally also caused the closure of Nevilles Bakery, another Irish owned company which in fact was ran by relations of the Dunnes family.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/07/23/story15924.asp
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/article742631.ece
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2003/11/02/story272629596.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Jip - Do not insult other posters in this forum. Read the charter before you post here again. HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I did say "IIRC". Thank you for correcting me and I'll amend my post now.

There is no need to make a derogatory remark. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

My brother worked for Stobart Ireland when they launched in Ireland (they took over TDG) and they always said that their main aim when they entered the Irish market was to get the Tesco contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Jip wrote: »
    So I take if you don't read the papers or listen to the radio ? It's been all over the place, including boards.

I dont read the papers that much but it suprises me that I have heard so little on R.T.E about it. They have given plenty of time to Mr. Keohane (?) promoting Tesco. But I suppose Tesco pay a fair bit for their adds? Or do they also write into contracts that suppliers pay for advertising. To me Its a round about way of getting "hello" money.

This site is full of people spouting ****e and nonsense purely because Tesco is not an Irish company. Whelans were dropped by Dunnes, an Irish family owned company, who incidentally also caused the closure of Nevilles Bakery, another Irish owned company which in fact was ran by relations of the Dunnes family.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/07/23/story15924.asp
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/article742631.ece
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2003/11/02/story272629596.asp

The site is not full of people spouting Sh*t. Its called giving your view. I do my best not to cross the line but dont always succeed.

I know about this Tesco situation because someone affected told me. I think the way Tesco are behaving is the pits and yes I know quite a few Irish companies who have also treated their staff badly. But the s**t Tesco have came out with is scandelous especially when they "reduced" 22,000 items but in their own sly way closed 10 or 11 stores along the border. AT WHAT REAL COST WERE THESE REDUCTIONS MADE.

BTW Do you work for Tesco? They have some senior staff who hail from North Dublin.

Eoineo wrote: »

But didn't mention that there would be job losses in Dublin North.

And not forgetting the jobs they have cost in local growers.

It aint an anti English thing with me its about respect and giving fair play to consumers on both sides of the Irish sea.
    An example I have just spotted is Argos
    Sandisk 8gig Compactflash card in Newry is £59.99 while in the Republic it €83 which is approx €65.32. Rechargable batteries 14.99 for pack of 4 down south but 9.99 up north

Colm O'Dulachain on the Pat Kenny show made some comparisions between 6counties shops and shops in the Republic and there was a substantial difference which could not be explained away by V.A.T.

Whether we like to admit it or not we are being screwed solid by these big English chain stores everyday, and if I offend you dont take it personally, I hate the way we are treated by some of these companies.

LeoB wrote: »
    BTW Do you work for Tesco?

Wasn't long before that typical response came up aimed at someone who doesn't jump on the Tesco is an evil British Company bandwagon. The job losses and affects of their new supply chain has been discussed all over the radio, newspapers and boards.ie at the time, there was nothing secretive or sly about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I notice that you didn't answer the question. :)

• Advertisement

It's fairly obvious that I don't if you're read one of the millions (may or may not be an exageration) of Tesco threads on this site, but then again some people on this particular board don't seem to venture out of here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

It's fairly obvious that I don't if you're read one of the millions (may or may not be an exageration) of Tesco threads on this site

Nope. This is the first one.
    but then again some people on this particular board don't seem to venture out of here.

Yeah....I must be one of those people. :rolleyes:

Wasn't long before that typical response came up aimed at someone who doesn't jump on the Tesco is an evil British Company bandwagon. The job losses and affects of their new supply chain has been discussed all over the radio, newspapers and boards.ie at the time, there was nothing secretive or sly about it.

You seemed so much more informed that us poor souls;) and a litte sharp in your replies.
    Its not an anti- British thing. But I do my best to support Irish manufacturers, industries and services as much as possible and would generally always choose Irish ahead of first

Their job loses have not been discussed on Radio. What we got spin from Mr. Keohane. They are relocating their jobs putting Irish people out of work to keep their lords and shareholders happy. And I just happen to think its a scandelous move by them. Just my opinion if you dont mind.

I would have the same opinion if it were an Irish company doing it and do my best to give them no more business.

I dont live here on this board but I do enjoy it. I am more regular to Photography and G.A.A forum. Wait for it G.A.A insult on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Would just like to point out this for all you Tesco doesnt sell irish food moaners.

Reported on 27th of september http://www.independent.ie/national-n...s-1897986.html

"Irish vegetable growers have been given a strong vote of confidence by Tesco, who has agreed, for the first time, a commitment to purchase 211,000kg of top-quality Irish produce for Tesco Ireland stores every week."

Which is roughly 207 tons of home grown irish food a week.

Did they mention a price?

Tesco buy a good bit of Irish produce but at low prices, or are they paying a fair price. They will say its market pressure or some similar spin will be put on it. Some producers simply cant survive with what they are being told to supply their produce at. So we end up with a supermarket importing produce and we get a price war.

I dont work in the Agri or Supermarket sector but have an interest in the land and farming in general.

I often wonder Why is milk still the same price as 19 years ago to the farmer but much more expensive to the consumer? If you will pardon the pun someone is creaming off a nice profit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

None of what you mentioned is Tesco fault.

None of what you mentioned is Tesco fault.

Thats a matter of opinion. I actually think they and their likes are responsible for a lot of it by they way they operate.

They dont have to screw people into the ground but they do. So do others I know.

Have spoke to a few people about this Tesco stuff and we all said we would not shop their again. Thats choice I Suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

dcr22B wrote: »
    My brother worked for Stobart Ireland when they launched in Ireland (they took over TDG) and they always said that their main aim when they entered the Irish market was to get the Tesco contract.

When did they take over TDG?.news to me as I work for TDG

groomek wrote: »
    Middle of last year IIRC.

Dont know much about how big business really work but it appears a lot of companies have sold major stakes or bought major stakes in companies to gain more of the market share.

When you look at the web left by some developers its hard to know who a lot of people really work for.

The one thing you can be sure of is the ordinary "worker" will ultimatley be the one to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

dcr22B wrote: »
    Middle of last year IIRC.

TDG was taken over by Laxey group,they where already share holders but bought out the rest and are still trading as TDG.

There was talk off stobarts takin gover Transport in the Uk for TDG but never a take over off TDG

TDG was taken over by Laxey group,they where already share holders but bought out the rest and are still trading as TDG.

There was talk off stobarts takin gover Transport in the Uk for TDG but never a take over off TDG
    Apologies I got it slightly wrong. Some of the lads in TDG Ireland moved across to Stobart Ireland (my brother included). TDG still exist in Ireland of course.

Khannie wrote: »
    Nope. This is the first one.

Yeah....I must be one of those people. :rolleyes:

You must be if you think this is the first thread of this type on this website, they're all over Consumer Issues, Rip Off Ireland etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

some of us have better things to do with our lives, and stick to three or four forums here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Jip - You were already warned about your attitude. Your low-level trolling has earned you a week off. HB

See Stobart now has its own refrigerated rail link from Spain to U.K.

As a result it will interesting to see where Tesco will get their Tomatoes from next summer now that Stobart is doing most of Tesco transport.

Advertisement