Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.bendunne.com,his new site,discuss!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Dakor wrote: »
    Well, that's not very smart. If you spending that much money on a radio ad at the very least you should have an operating website with a little info on it.

The very first thing I do when I hear of the new product or company is go to their website. If I see a blue page then I would probably not be interested in using their products/services.

Smart? Who cares till it launches proper and shure ain't that the beauty of being a entrepeneur. You can spend your marketing cash which ever way you wish and be extolled or berated for it!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

I can't understand why they didn't leave the (albeit poorly designed) blurb page online. The blue screen is useless.

They can still run analytics, and collect all the stats they want, while still providing some information to the public that are interested in the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

I don't see this site working the way Ben Dunne thinks it will. Probably similar to tenderme.ie where there was loaads of huff and very little puff.

His biggest problem is he is the public face and his public face is not a selling point for the people he is targeting.

If he was to open a chain of discount retail stores similar to lidl / aldi and used his face to advertise it, it would be a huge success, but using his image trying to sell a concept that will be used primarily by 18 - 40 year olds just won't work.

If he simply provided the finance and knowledge and allow some twenty something likeable person to front the concept, it would have a better chance of success.

Time will tell, but as others have said, its nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Looks like Ben has pulled the plug on this project, according to the Evening Herald:

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/my-buy-and-sell-site-was-a--disaster-admits-dunne-as-he-pulls-the-plug-1916115.html

Must have been reading this thread! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

Glad i didnt put an ad up there then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 John McG

Did you read the reason for the site failure?

"It just didn't perform at all. Even with a small bit of flow it was stalling. If you have it wrong, you've got to stop it."

For God's sake Ben, would you not have just thrown a few Amazon EC2 servers clustered behind it for now and tweak it later? Of course your going to get big hits with all the advertising. Frankly his IT infrastructure guys have let him down big time.

On another note, it's amazing that Ben Dunne gets all this TV/Radio/Press coverage without even having a business up and running. Remember the massive coverage for his €50 "cheap suit" business that never even materialised? What a lucky guy. Fair play to him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

DJB wrote: »
    Looks like Ben has pulled the plug on this project, according to the Evening Herald:

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/my-buy-and-sell-site-was-a--disaster-admits-dunne-as-he-pulls-the-plug-1916115.html

Must have been reading this thread! :D

Ben if you do read this, send me a PM, I'll get you a site that stays up no hassles at all.

Cheers
    Fintan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

fintan wrote: »
    Ben if you do read this, send me a PM, I'll get you a site that stays up no hassles at all.

Cheers
    Fintan

There was only one site on the server :rolleyes:

You should really help him with his Nora Dunne art gallery website too

http://noradunne.typepad.com/nora_dunne_gallery/blog_index.html

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    You should really help him with his Nora Dunne art gallery website too

http://noradunne.typepad.com/nora_dunne_gallery/blog_index.html

+1, hell yeah, thats some mess too.
    Ben clearly needs to BOOT his IT people - or just give up on his net ideas.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9 qwertyTRiG

Those who can; DO, and those who can't; TEACH
    What a bizarrely punctuated signature!

Those who can, DO; and those who can't, TEACH.

And, if you want to quote Shaw correctly, drop the and.

TRiG.:)

• Advertisement

qwertyTRiG wrote: »
    What a bizarrely punctuated signature!

Those who can, DO; and those who can't, TEACH.

And, if you want to quote Shaw correctly, drop the and.

TRiG.:)

I actually do thank you for correcting that. I personally hate grammatical errors and I just copied it straight out of something else on google. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

His ad is still the radio

"Ben Dunne.com is in full swing, 50% cheaper than dondeal. Ben Dunne.com"

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

the guys at DoneDeal must be in stitches. what an embarrassment. my guess is that he's got some young fella building his websites and he's just out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    His ad is still the radio

"Ben Dunne.com is in full swing, 50% cheaper than dondeal. Ben Dunne.com"

Jesus. Must be frustrating for all the genuine hard working entrepreneurs out there who would kill to be able to fund ads on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Wouldn't be much more fitting if they called the site "www.beendone.com"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Delighted this has flopped..
    Have been extremely happy with donedeal.ie and its simplicity for buying/selling or searching..
    I'm sick of listening to this knobhead who seems to be on Newstalk constantly....While most of the country is scraping pennies together with no job prospects in the near future, this pleb is advertising his wife's art gallery or a bargain cappucino...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

The site must have been very poorly designed / thought about if it crashed and burned before it even launched.

DoneDeal seem to be going from strength to strength, it will take an excellent service to knock them off the top spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Seems to be up and running now. Not a lot of traffic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I'd imagine donedeal are delighted with all the free advertising in the bendunne ads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

10k advertisment and 6 ads to show for it at 1.50 each.

• Advertisement

Its a mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

His competitor runs a 60 day add for 3 euro and he runs a 14 day ad for 1.50. How is he cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Can't see this site lasting. I have run an advert on twice now - just to tap in on the massive advertising that Ben Dunne is giving it - but zero response. I won't be using it again and I can't see what his target market is given that the likes of gumtree.ie are FREE and his cheapest rate is €1.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭gavney

I was giving Ben the benefit of the Doubt at first, but this seems really really bizarrely awful

The only thing going for it at the moment is that it's SO awful that it's got people talking about what an iigit Ben Dunne is. Wait, maybe that's what he's going for! Some free publicity a la Michael O'Leary.....

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Shocking how he can get something like this really so badly wrong.
    With the amount of money he has to throw at a website company, he obviously knows zero about Technology.

Pity as he is a guy who usually is a success.

BTW....where do people here get all their info regarding Advertising Rates for websites.....can you point me to the source?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

With the amount of money he has to throw at a website company, he obviously knows zero about Technology.

See that's the thing, He's all about the price of everything, and not the value, I'd be quite confident he went with the cheapest option available to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭WicklowRover

I replied to various ads on tenderme.ie, and paid my €3 each time, but got zero response. Me thinks that a lot of these ads are fictitious, used to entice people to part with their money.

Gumtree.ie - free to sell, free to buy - now, that's more like it!

I think Ben Dunne should stick at what he is good at, and leave the online marketing to those that are more experienced at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

his advert on the radio is cheesy.. also, bendunne.com ... not the sort of url I would choose for the sort of site he has

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Shocking how he can get something like this really so badly wrong.

Pity as he is a guy who usually is a success.

BTW....where do people here get all their info regarding Advertising Rates for websites.....can you point me to the source?

www.medialive.ie is pretty good. You got to register but its free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Advertisement