Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Facto Visa

Options
  • 01-10-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Gonna be applying for the defacto visa in the next couple of weeks, have all the necessary doco etc and hopefully shouldn't be a problem to get it.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has gotten this visa recently and if so, how long did it take?? I will be applying through London and have heard this is quicker than doing it from Oz, but would be good to have a rough idea of how long this will take??

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Is this for OZ or NZ? I'm guessing Oz as you mentioned it above. I have experience of applying for one in NZ so can only help if you're heading here! Mine took 6 months but in hindsight, would have taken a lot less if I applied through London. Not sure if Aus is the same but I regretted coming here on a WHV and then applying for residency when I got here. I should have done it through London.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Trankton

6 months, bloody hell, was hoping it would be 3 max. Well, hopefully will be quicker through London anyway. Cheers mate.

Trankton wrote: »
    6 months, bloody hell, was hoping it would be 3 max. Well, hopefully will be quicker through London anyway. Cheers mate.

No probs - mine was for NZ. Aus may be shorter but if it helps a friend did her NZ de facto visa through London and it took 6 weeks (it was 2 years ago though)

Good luck!

watna wrote: »
    No probs - mine was for NZ. Aus may be shorter but if it helps a friend did her NZ de facto visa through London and it took 6 weeks (it was 2 years ago though)

Good luck!

Thanks again mate. Hopefully London will be quicker alright, 6 weeks would be the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

it depends on how well your application is laid out really. if you've been with the person for a fair while and have lots of evidence then you'll probably get it within a week. if you dont, it may take longer. most people i've heard of get it within 1 month

• Advertisement

it depends on how well your application is laid out really. if you've been with the person for a fair while and have lots of evidence then you'll probably get it within a week. if you dont, it may take longer. most people i've heard of get it within 1 month

I must say, that just made my day. We have been together nearly 3 years now, have a leas together, a joint account, holidays together etc. so I'm hoping it'll be all good on that count. Thanks for what is hopefully good news.
    :D

Yay - that's good anyway. I had a lot of evidence and it made a big difference. My application spent 5 months and 2 weeks in a queue and then only two weeks to get processed. If they have to come back to you for more info it'll take much longer so it's good you have lots of evidence. I had a lot of financial documents and a number of leases so it was easy enough. Stupid kiwis taking 6 months with their visas. It was a nightmare!

Interestingly enough, Ireland are now doing de facto visas. It's not a proper process like it is in Aus/NZ but if it is granted your partner can live and work for 12 months, after which it is reviewed (i.e. are you still together!)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I must say, that just made my day. We have been together nearly 3 years now, have a leas together, a joint account, holidays together etc. so I'm hoping it'll be all good on that count. Thanks for what is hopefully good news.
    :D

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything but do you not need to be together for 5 years? I did mine two years ago now and I'm sure I was told something like that.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Not trying to burst your bubble or anything but do you not need to be together for 5 years? I did mine two years ago now and I'm sure I was told something like that.

Don't worry, bubble not burst as it states in the application forms you only have to have been in a de facto type relationship for the 12 months prior to applying, personally I thought it was 2 years, but either way I'm sorted in that regard.

Interestingly enough, Ireland are now doing de facto visas. It's not a proper process like it is in Aus/NZ but if it is granted your partner can live and work for 12 months, after which it is reviewed (i.e. are you still together!)

I checkout out about the Irish de facto as that was our first plan but it's a complete disaster (is it any surprise). Apparently you can't work with it so it's like an extended holiday visa. Also, went in to immigration and was told that those involved with the de facto process 'don't deal with the public' WTF??? They have a 2 year backlog on emails and no actually knows whats required to get the visa.

• Advertisement

I checkout out about the Irish de facto as that was our first plan but it's a complete disaster (is it any surprise). Apparently you can't work with it so it's like an extended holiday visa. Also, went in to immigration and was told that those involved with the de facto process 'don't deal with the public' WTF??? They have a 2 year backlog on emails and no actually knows whats required to get the visa.

Yeah, it sounds like a nightmare. It's nor a proper process. There is a thread in the living abroad forum (link under my name) and someone there got it. Apparently you can live and work. I want to go home in a few years time so I'm hoping I'll be able to get that alright for my other half.

You should check out the thread for future reference.

Yeah, it sounds like a nightmare. It's nor a proper process. There is a thread in the living abroad forum (link under my name) and someone there got it. Apparently you can live and work. I want to go home in a few years time so I'm hoping I'll be able to get that alright for my other half.

You should check out the thread for future reference.
    Jaysus, if only I had seen that about 3 months ago, I'm actually in shock that it only took a week for them to process. Still, too late now so Australia it is. Thanks Watna.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Just got one of these recently and landed in Oz on it last Wednesday morning.

After submitting the initial application, I had my passport back in my hand with the visa included in about 4 weeks all told.

Responses form the High Commission in London are pretty prompt and usually I'd get an email about my submission on the morning it was received in their office (Had to send stuff twice as they look for evidence for each partner for every month of the 12 months relevant to the application - send EVERYTHING YOU HAVE).

Good luck man, but I'd imagine you'll have your visa in your hand by November.

Popinjay wrote: »
    Just got one of these recently and landed in Oz on it last Wednesday morning.

After submitting the initial application, I had my passport back in my hand with the visa included in about 4 weeks all told.

Responses form the High Commission in London are pretty prompt and usually I'd get an email about my submission on the morning it was received in their office (Had to send stuff twice as they look for evidence for each partner for every month of the 12 months relevant to the application - send EVERYTHING YOU HAVE).

Good luck man, but I'd imagine you'll have your visa in your hand by November.

Thanks for that Popinjay. Have everything in order for the application now (it's like a very large book at this stage). Doing the medical today then sending in everything tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Another couple of questions for folks out there.

Was wondering, what would be the best way to present all the doco, in a folder or just loose and stapled together in sections??

Also, would it be better to pay before sending in the app as I don't fancy sending my credit card details via mail.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

We sent everything in a folder by registered post and had related stuff held together in those plastic pocket thingies. It's pricey to send so much but I'd still send it registered post so you can keep an eye on what it's doing. And photocopy everything at least twice. If it does get lost you can possible ring or email and you'll have the receipt for registered post to prove it was sent.

We also brought a copy of everything over with us (in hand luggage in case anything went missing) just in case for the reassessment after two years.

If you're paying before sending the app. make sure you include your proof of payment with the rest of your stuff. We sent the details by post. That's not really an issue with registered post most of the time so it might be worth your while.

P.S: Hope the medical went ok but if I recall correctly it was a walk in the park anyway. You go to that doc in Drumcondra? (And could you fill the cup? I was a bit hungover and dehyydrated :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you're together five year or more, OR if you have children, you can apply for a permanent residency de facto spouse visa.

If you are together less than five years with no children, you can apply for a temporary de facto spouse visa. The visa runs for approximately two years, but does not have a specific expiry date. The emigration dept will contact you around two years after your arrival in Australia, and you will go through a similar process to your first application - providing evidence of a continued relationship - and through this, be granted a permanent residency spouse visa. (Two years again after that you can apply for citizenship.)

I applied for my temporary spouse visa in February 2007 at the London office. I handed in my application at 9am on a Wednesday morning, and it was granted by lunch time on Thursday.

My permanet residency spouse visa was granted in April this year in about four weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

whats so special about london? why do the applications go through there??

They do if you live there, which I used to, and which I assume Trankton does too.

it's the closest Australian high commission to Ireland

• Advertisement

They do if you live there, which I used to, and which I assume Trankton does too.

I live in Ireland but the Oz embassy in Ireland don't process visa applications so it has to be done through the London office.

Application will be sent tomorrow. I has my fingers crossed. :)

Good luck. The best thing I can recommend with visa applications is generally lay out your information as easily as is physically possible. I supplied mine with dividers and plastic tabs and himself nicknamed it "visa application for gobsh1tes".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Miss Sunshine

Don't worry. You only need to be living together for 12 months. If you've been living together for 5 years then you get permenancy without having to wait for 2 years. It shouldn't take that long. Mine took one month and I live in Oz.

Good luck. The best thing I can recommend with visa applications is generally lay out your information as easily as is physically possible. I supplied mine with dividers and plastic tabs and himself nicknamed it "visa application for gobsh1tes".
    read a FAQ from the london australian high commission that said for spouse visas (and most, presumably), plastic tabs etc are really annoying.

read a FAQ from the london australian high commission that said for spouse visas (and most, presumably), plastic tabs etc are really annoying.

That's plastic pockets. That's coz they have to take all of the stuff out of them. You know the wee stick-on packets of coloured tabs that you can put on a page and write something on the coloured tab bit? Those are fine.

I laid out mine in such a way that you could stick it straight on a photocopier feed tray if need be, and it'd run through without any staples or having to be unclipped, but used dividers and tabs so you could easily go to any sub section you wanted to check. Hey, got me my visa in 30 hours...

Sent the applicationj in today. Glad to have it finally done, just have to wait and see now. Thanks to you all for advice and assistance. Fingers crossed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Just wondering what are the entry requirements for OZ if your application is being processed. Can one enter OZ without a outward flight booked under a defacto visa that is still being processed under say a tourist visa. I presume not but....

Also is it easy enough to cancel airline bookings and receive a refund once visas come through?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

of interest to some on shore appliacants in certain states (waver of 12 month rule)
    http://www.immi.gov.au/legislation/amendments/2009/091109/lc09112009-05.htm

Curious to know from those who have made the move from ireland to Australia. When you are leaving the country can you claim your pension???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭seanie_k

Hi all, I'm just about to apply for the defacto Visa with my australian girlfriend in melbourne (still waiting on garda check from home). Has anyone any experince with applying for it from here? how long it takes etc? they say it takes 6 to 9 months. from reading the posts here that seems to be what they tell everyone but never takes that long. i am on tourist visa at the moment so cant work, so dont really want to be hanging around for 6 moths without work. Also, can you leave Australia after putting in the application? I cant get a straight answer from immigration over the phone here.

Advertisement