Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid fuel installation advice- Live project!

Options
  • 27-09-2009 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just started to fit my 8/9 kw solid fuel stove (hunter herald 8 ) Rear outlet

Any advise would be great before I finish it!

I have attached some pics!

I haven't sealed the clay adaptor in the pics yet!

I kept the rookwool away from the flue as i heard it is combustible (on another thread)?? It is sitting on a concrete block

Is the hearth stone granite? I Have to polish the edges yet!

The flue outlet has a horizontal run of 200mm? I know it is meant to be 152mm but i couldn't do much more. It is going into a 7 inch inspected clay liner and there is a very good draw on it.

Then it is 2 X 45 degree bends leading into an adaptor. (all got from MI Flues in summerhill-Very helpful and nice!) All well Sealed with GeoCel firecement.

The pink stuff is fire resistent foam just to seal any bits that might of needed it.

Can anyone see any issues? All comments greatly welcomed!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

Rockwool is available in fire resistant form.
    Where you'r vent pipe enters the chimney flue i would
    advise packing it with rockwool(fire resistent)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Thanks,

I have just used the standard roll. Its says on it, it has an A1 Fire rating. Is this the wrong stuff?

I have also put galvo band round the pipe so it cant move at all But i will pack it too so.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

The fire resistent insulation is green in colour.

Make sure it is the correct one......

Hi all,

Well the stove is installed this past week and has being a major success!

The heat out put is unreal. The room it is in is around 45m2 with lots of windows, patio door and 2 velux windows. The walls are also poorly insulated.
    The room is roasting and all doors into the rest of the house are opened to let it filter through! We have only burnt seasoned beech in it so far.

For the benifit of others that may be thinking about a similar project i'll list my costs invloved.

Stove €902 (hunter herald 8 flat top single door, delivered)
    Flue €155 (clay adaptor, 2 X 45 bends, 1 X 300mm Straight (6")(mi flues)
    Bricks €45 (40 clay bricks) already had some from old fireplace
    Hearth Stone €40 (1.5m2 polished granite)
    Sand,cement,gravel €70
    Fire Cement €12
    Rookwool €27 (only used a bit thou)
    Fire proof Expanding foam €12 (to fill some gaps in old fireplace)
    Plaster edge bead €4

Total: €1267

It took about 2 days from start to finish as i had to wait for the plinth to set and clean up the original bricks. My brickwork is a little dodgy but the bricks were irregular and it was my first time!! The picture is also distorted!

I just have the edge of the stone to polish and to clean some of the mortar of the bricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Nice work kodak, appreciate it even more as i'm doing something similar myself..
    Good finish on the clay pipe adaptor, now i'm gonna have to re-do mine:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The flue is also sitting on a concrete block so it won't fall down and happened to be the correct height to take the stove. It is also attached to this block so lateral movement should be less!
    Good luck with yours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

nice.

do you have access to the soot door on your new flu parts.

I was having a look at mine and I may have to take the stove out to clean the chimney as the door it nearly imposable to work at. Not the end of the world , but a pain.

I didn't get a soot door as i read varying reviews about them.

The baffle on the stove pops out very easy and you access the flue from there. I checked it yesterday to see if all had settled ok. It was perfect, No soot at all and all joints ok.

I am going to clean the chimney in a few weeks as it said to do it in the manual and will see how i get on.

kodak wrote: »
    I didn't get a soot door as i read varying reviews about them.

The baffle on the stove pops out very easy and you access the flue from there. I checked it yesterday to see if all had settled ok. It was perfect, No soot at all and all joints ok.

I am going to clean the chimney in a few weeks as it said to do it in the manual and will see how i get on.

I just booked in for a first clean. After one season of use.

Is 75 euro about right for the service. I know it cost 20 pounds in Derry. But im in Naas now. Member Pete heat on the other stove thread put the willys up me about a chimney fire . Guess the best thing to do is to get her cleaned well each year. Was not expecting it to cost so much though.

Afraid i don't really know as i clean it myself. €75 sounds steep to me thou.
    You should clean it now if you don't have the stove in already.

I cleaned a friends chimney and they hadn't got it cleaned in 7 years. They used the open fire nearly every day in winter and burnt all fuels.
    A HUGE amount of soot came out of it. I'd say they were very close to a chimney fire alright!
    Its best to get it cleaned at least once a year and possible twice with a stove but i'm no expert!

• Advertisement

kodak wrote: »
    Afraid i don't really know as i clean it myself. €75 sounds steep to me thou.
    You should clean it now if you don't have the stove in already.

I cleaned a friends chimney and they hadn't got it cleaned in 7 years. They used the open fire nearly every day in winter and burnt all fuels.
    A HUGE amount of soot came out of it. I'd say they were very close to a chimney fire alright!
    Its best to get it cleaned at least once a year and possible twice with a stove but i'm no expert!

just phoned another sweep. 40 euro. lol. there are some chancers out there.

Are you getting much of a smell of the new high temp paint on the stove? Took a while to get rid of it on mine.

have mine burning for the third day in a row, the smell is beginning to ease off only now....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Been following your project. Have to say it looks well. i always clean my own chimney on a standard fire. Dont care about what is right i figure the way i do it cant be wrong. A set of rods and a head cost me 45 euro. I also bought a soot vac and the wife catches any slight debris that might slip by the board. What i done was cut a bored the size of the opening and wedged a cloth between it and the fireplace.

Just be careful to make up and down motions if your cleaning your own chimney. i had a neighbour who lost 4 of my rods last month and a head. They are actually still in his chimney . We are both sh1t scared of heights so have not got up to push them from the other side. I reckon it came off cause he must have been turning it.

Anyway the project looks brilliant. Would love to get it but dont think they are allowed in timberframe houses/

Been following your project. Have to say it looks well. i always clean my own chimney on a standard fire. Dont care about what is right i figure the way i do it cant be wrong. A set of rods and a head cost me 45 euro. I also bought a soot vac and the wife catches any slight debris that might slip by the board. What i done was cut a bored the size of the opening and wedged a cloth between it and the fireplace.

Just be careful to make up and down motions if your cleaning your own chimney. i had a neighbour who lost 4 of my rods last month and a head. They are actually still in his chimney . We are both sh1t scared of heights so have not got up to push them from the other side. I reckon it came off cause he must have been turning it.

Anyway the project looks brilliant. Would love to get it but dont think they are allowed in timberframe houses/

Where would one purchase rods. I have roofed many a house. No problems getting up there for a good ole rodding.

if you're in cork, i've a set you can have a loan of....
    i've seen them for sale in McMahon's builders providers if there's one near you

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Where would one purchase rods. I have roofed many a house. No problems getting up there for a good ole rodding.

I got a set in woodies

gsxr1 wrote: »

You can get a set in a hardware shop (head a tenner, not sure about rods) or B&Q do a set for 30 euro i think. If you just keep turning them the right way they wont undo.
    Got a strong smell off mine for the first couple of days alright but it's ok now.

Thanks joey the lips, i'm happy with the results and the budget! Considering i got a quote for €1450 for the stove alone!! Won't mention where!

The temperature hasn't dropped below 24 degrees and it just ticking over.... :cool: Have the shorts on!!

Advertisement