Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 22-09-2009 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

We're less than two weeks away from the second Lisbon Treaty referendum so as well as setting up our Lisbon Treaty Answers forum, we've decided that as the dead line approaches, we're going to have a debate as the campaigns on both side come to a close in order to help out anyone who's still undecided or maybe change a few minds.

The plan will work as follows:
    • We pick 2 teams of 4 people on each side of the debate.
    • We use the debating chamber forums here on boards:
      • Logos for the debate (only the team members can post here, but everyone will be able to read it as it goes on)
      • Ethos for the judges (We're looking at a team of 3 - this is a private forum for them to discuss the debate)
      • Pathos for the public to discuss how the debate is going (this forum will be moderated with the usual boards.ie rules).
    We're inviting people to put their names forward on this thread - state clearly if you're on the Yes or No side. We will review your relevant posts from boards and on Friday, we'll close applications and pick the 4 team members for each side.

Each team will get a private forum where they can talk tactics and strengths/weaknesses over the weekend. This will require a committment of your time, so please be sure that you have the free time necessary to contribute before signing up.

This debate is open to everyone - boards.ie Members, Moderators and Category Moderators are free to put their name forward for either side. boards.ie Admins and Staff are not allowed to enter.

The debate itself will run from Monday 28th to Wednesday 31st (with an option to extend on till the Thursday should there be a need) and the judges are free to deliberate in a manner of their choosing. There will be no specific topics or questions asked of the teams, but if it looks like things are gone stagnant or are spinning around in circles, we may offer in a topic that the public are discussing (from the Pathos forum).

Each team member will be allowed to post in Logos 5 times a day which means that what they say will have to be well constructed and not just a 1 line rebuttal. Because of the nature of this medium for debate, we expect to see links to studies/articles/etc to back up the points being made by either side. We would hope that there's no actual need to moderate the Logos forum, but if we see something that breaks site rules (e.g. Libel or Personal Abuse of an opponent), we may have to step in and edit. This will be as a measure of last resort though as we have no wish to interfere in the debate.

Team members will of course be free to post as often as they like in their team's private forum.

When the teams have been decided on, we'll announce them and the 3 judges on Friday (25th) of this week and the debate will begin on Monday at 10am.

Dav

[edit]
    Due to the extended site down-time on Wednesday, we're allowing an extra day to gather people for the teams and will now pick them on Friday instead of Thursday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Why does this feel like the Tri-Wizarding Tournament?

Scofflaw, for Yes.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

nesf, for Yes in case you can't find anyone better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

BlitzKrieg for yes if you need a fourth man.

if you are stuck I could purely on debating terms argue for no. :D though people might call fowl to that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Sounds like fun, I'm up for it but I work Mondays and Tuesdays and wont be home till 7, free all day Wednesday so I'm probably not the best option. Oh and I'm for a Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Scofflaw, for Yes.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    nesf wrote: »
    nesf, for Yes in case you can't find anyone better.
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    BlitzKrieg for yes if you need a fourth man.
    Dav wrote: »

Admins and Staff are not allowed to enter.

Dav

Don't forget to read up on it before you vote enter =p

• Advertisement

Don't forget to read up on it before you vote enter =p

same to you
    This debate is open to everyone - boards.ie Members, Moderators and Category Moderators are free to put their name forward for either side. boards.ie Admins and Staff are not allowed to enter.

moderators are not staff

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

same to you

moderators are not staff

Touché :o

Haven't even had the debate, and we've already had our first partial quote.

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

same to you

moderators are not staff

I think what he's saying is that the Politics mods should be paid for their sterling work...

The tumbleweed is nice.

waiting,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

I'd like to see FutureTaoiseach representing the no side. Would it be possible to unban him and grant him access to this?

he's only banned from politics last I checked.

unless he's done something stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Ironically I cant commit myself because I'm involved with other "No" vote meetings but the willingness of the "yes" side to throw themselves on the sword will be interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

he's only banned from politics last I checked.

He's banned from the European Union forum - I got a PM from him. Can someone answer if it would be alright for FutureTaoiseach to represent the no side on this?

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

O'Morris wrote: »
    He's banned from the European Union forum - I got a PM from him. Can someone answer if it would be alright for FutureTaoiseach to represent the no side on this?

According to the OP the debate won't be taking part in the European Union forum, so he wouldn't be banned from making himself available for the debate.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

If I was old enough to vote...I wouldn't....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭FutureTaoiseach

I, FutureTaoiseach, hereby put my name forward for the purposes of partaking in the Lisbon debate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

There are probably others more qualified and able than I to represent the yes side but if ye are short on numbers I would gladly partake.

I was on the debating team in school if that counts:D

Just to clarify, i'm on the YES side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

If we are stuck for people on the NO side I am happy to step in.

I am a Yes voter but don't mind arguing against my natural position for the purpose of a debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    If we are stuck for people on the NO side I am happy to step in.

I am a Yes voter but don't mind arguing against my natural position for the purpose of a debate.

Noooo don't turn to the dark side! Euro_Kraut for yes!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on benches, shopping centres, in GAA fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender.....oh sorry wrong thread

Lisbon parte dois, the farce is strong with this one!

Pint of Lisbon is it?
    I'll have to say NO sir, but thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

with 2 infractions i doubt i will be picked but just in case i put my name down to debate the case for a no vote

thanks in advance
    Sparks43

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I love a good ruckus.

I argue for The Reform Treaty please.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We are short No debaters... Euro_Kraut, thanks but we would only be accused of creating a straw man if we used Yes voters for the No side. It wouldnt be fair.

This debate will happen in the debating chamber which is not moderated by any mods and we hope wont require any moderation. The admins will look after it if needs be.

This is a chance for both sides to put forward their best debaters and have a quiet, high-visibility platform to have a full on debate with each other.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Sparks43 wrote: »
    with 2 infractions i doubt i will be picked but just in case i put my name down to debate the case for a no vote

thanks in advance
    Sparks43

Only two? Pah! I scoff at your infractiousness.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We're seriously short of No side debaters... if you are on the no side or know people who are, could you think about pointing them at this thread? We've invited the main No parties to involve themselves too but have had no response.

DeV.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Come on Declan Ganley - show us what you are made of!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭IrelandSpirit

I see you’re short on ‘no’ voters. I would love to get involved in this debate but need some straightforward guarantees first; else I feel we’ll only be wasting our time.

To have a sober and coherent debate on a subject, one must first have a sober and coherent understanding of the subject at hand. Have any of you actually read and understood this treaty?

(‘Understood’ being the operative word).

yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

I see you’re short on ‘no’ voters. I would love to get involved in this debate but need some straightforward guarantees first; else I feel we’ll only be wasting our time.
    To have a sober and coherent debate on a subject, one must first have a sober and coherent understanding of the subject at hand.
    Have any of you actually read and understood this treaty?
    (‘Understood’ being the operative word).

Yes on both counts, and that goes for the first one too.

And I still say NO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement