Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

FYI I'm not complaining, just wanting to hear people thoughts on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

What's the most recent estimated completion date of the project? I looked through the thread but couldn't find anything 'concrete'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

slinky2000 wrote: »
    What's the most recent estimated completion date of the project? I looked through the thread but couldn't find anything 'concrete'.

I see what you did there :-)

Latest estimates are for traffic to be up and over for the October bank holiday weekend. I'd say they will easily make this.

Then tidying up around the slip roads etc will continue to the start of the New year. I'd expect they will probably even be fully complete though by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I live near Newlands Cross. We got a letter from BAM on the 11th of this month about night time works, on that they stated that "...the works are on schedule to be completed by the end of January 2015".

rameire wrote: »

the new pinch points will be the Naas Road + Long Mile Road junction, this will need a Flyover next.
    Wasn't that downgraded to an "R" road, if so then it'll never get a flyover!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭omicron

rameire wrote: »

the new pinch points will be the Naas Road + Long Mile Road junction, this will need a Flyover next.

I can't imagine that would feature anywhere near the top of a list of infrastructure that Dublin needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Inbound will make little to no difference... there will still be a jam at the Red Cow as that will be the lane shuffling bottleneck. The M50 will get heavier just like it did when the M1 widening was done.

Outbound in the evenings will be better, however, I'd still fear there'll be jams at the 5 into 3 section before Newlands, just when you come off the M50. We'll have to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭cnoc

Are there any diversions at Newlands X when driving northbound to the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

omicron wrote: »
    I can't imagine that would feature anywhere near the top of a list of infrastructure that Dublin needs!

honestly it will probably get a flyover when the m50 gets a double decker,
    and that not happening as there is no room for it, as said by the NRA.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

cnoc wrote: »

nope you can take all lanes heading past Newlands, but if your not comfortable in the road layout, stay in the left two lanes when heading northbound on the m50.

and if the traffic is crazy like it will be this weekend for the match, it may be advisable to take the outer ring road to the n4 and join the m50 from this road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

cnoc wrote: »

Lanes are moved over slightly, but stay in the left lane the whole wayfrom the green isle hotel and it will bring you onto the M50 NB.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭cnoc

Thanks Rameire and Davy - much appreciated.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 277 ✭✭misspiggy40

Hi all. Just wanted to ask if the traffic is much worse at the moment than it was, say before the summer, at Newlands cross in the mornings. I was travelling through about 7.45 before the summer and will be doing so again in a couple of weeks. What would I need to add on to the time it took to get through before in order to be allowing enough time??

add 5 to 10 minutes.
    say 10,
    if you are using the M50 southbound add 5 to 10 on again as it is busier southbound since colleges and schools are back

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

zFsbuo.jpg
    RYPeNq.jpg
    35uCVu.jpg
    5PJJwF.jpg

Sept 17th
    VmhZaT.jpg

Sept 24th
    cCo5Cu.jpg

Sept 26th - New wall
    qV9liW.jpg
    In4Hzq.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Maybe this has been talked about, but what's the impact likely to be on the roads inbound from Newlands after this has finished? Surely this means many thousands of extra cars hitting the m50 city inbound quicker than at present just pushing the problem closer to the city?

Even outbound might be bad, look at Friday evenings on the n7 at present!

I think that it could get a lot worse on the M7/N7 in or around Naas once the flyover opens, as currently you have big tailbacks from about 5pm onwards each day from Johnstown to Junction 11 (M9) due to the N7 going from three lanes down to two as it becomes the M7. The lights at Newlands Cross would have somewhat staggered the traffic heading southbound, now with no lights on the N7, will this not mean bigger tailbacks in and around Naas each afternoon? I know there are plans to make the M7 three lanes each way from Naas to the M9 Junction, but that's probably still a good few years off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

gilly2308 wrote: »
    I think that it could get a lot worse on the M7/N7 in or around Naas once the flyover opens, as currently you have big tailbacks from about 5pm onwards each day from Johnstown to Junction 11 (M9) due to the N7 going from three lanes down to two as it becomes the M7. The lights at Newlands Cross would have somewhat staggered the traffic heading southbound, now with no lights on the N7, will this not mean bigger tailbacks in and around Naas each afternoon? I know there are plans to make the M7 three lanes each way from Naas to the M9 Junction, but that's probably still a good few years off.

i wouldn't think so, id imagine that with newlands backing up the traffic there would cause a 'burst' of cars all hitting this spot at once, id imagine it might flow a bit smoother now?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cap1

rameire wrote:

I think this would be a far bigger job then newlands cross. The lights alone are twice the size of newlands cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Cap1 wrote: »
    I think this would be a far bigger job then newlands cross. The lights alone are twice the size of newlands cross.
    I go through this everyday and the only pinchpoint that needs relief is maybe a freeflow lane onto the Nangor Rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Don't know what was happening last night, but traffic inbound was backed up to Kingswood (exit 2) at 8pm and Citywest (exit 3) at 930pm!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Roryhy wrote: »
    I go through this everyday and the only pinchpoint that needs relief is maybe a freeflow lane onto the Nangor Rd.

Don't they have that here? That's the one I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭highdef

spacetweek wrote: »
    Don't they have that here? That's the one I use.

I could be wrong but I would imagine that Roryhy is a freeflow lane onto Nangor Road from the R110 outbound, not inbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,191 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Why are they building another cladding wall to the left of the flyover outbound? sectioning off a filter lane inside it?

Why are they building another cladding wall to the left of the flyover outbound? sectioning off a filter lane inside it?

This will be the real boundary wall when all things are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

Will this be Junction 1a when finished? Why wasn't a number left when the N/M7 junctions were re numbered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

medoc wrote: »
    Will this be Junction 1a when finished? Why wasn't a number left when the N/M7 junctions were re numbered?

Originally a new offline built was expected to be done between Naas and a new junction on the M50. However, this was scrapped for both cost purposes and so the Naas road would have 3 lanes in time for the Ryder Cup.

The new motorway would have had 1 junction less than the current Naas Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Originally a new offline built was expected to be done between Naas and a new junction on the M50. However, this was scrapped for both cost purposes and so the Naas road would have 3 lanes in time for the Ryder Cup.

The new motorway would have had 1 junction less than the current Naas Road.

Hence the lack of Junction8 on the M50 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

A timelapse update (one shot per day since works start), just to demo progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

BuzzFish wrote: »

A timelapse update (one shot per day since works start), just to demo progress.

Found yer background music to the finished video :cool:

Advertisement