Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-09-2009, 11:18   #1
Evil Phil
Contact Section

Coding Horror

This is a place to vent your frustration however there is one rule:

1. Do not name a company, organisation or individual as an attempt to undermine or discredit them in any way. This will really be a question of moderator discretion but use your common sense here. Boards.ie Ltd does not want to have fight what is rightfully somebody else's slander case.

Other than that feel free to discuss programming gotcha's, frustration with badly managed projects (just don't name anyone), frustration with technology or just plain idiotic things you've encountered.
Advertisement
18-09-2009, 14:08   #2
Sparks
Category Moderator

How about trying to be a sysadmin when management insists that you only need three basic servers with 2Gb of RAM to run websites for twenty or thirty clients, half of whom are major clients running very heavy lamp-stack applications?

It's amusing after a few years to look back and remember days when your job involved sitting at your desk logged into the server watching top and restarting apache when the load hit 20...
(4) thanks from:
19-09-2009, 21:22   #3
pauldiv

lol I bet it made you a much better sys admin though
Thanks from:
20-09-2009, 23:26   #4
fasty

Oh god, I think this thread is going to be quite popular with me. I maintain a lot of code that was originally written (badly) over 15 years ago... business logic inside UI code, functions copy and pasted with one slightly different parameter, pointless comments like //end while, blatant disregard for the differences between unsigned and unsigned ints and 16 and 32 bit ints. 10 dialogs and 15 "classes" to do the same thing. Not that the classes are classes, more structs with random functions, a complete fail when it comes to the implementation and use of inheritance and interfaces. MEGA memory leaks made because of assumptions of how Win32 cleans up when windows are closed with no actual debugging... I can, and will, go on and on...
20-09-2009, 23:51   #5
Sparks
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldiv View Post
lol I bet it made you a much better sys admin though
Yes, but somehow I think the clients would have preferred I not be given that lesson at their expense!
Advertisement
21-09-2009, 00:13   #6
pauldiv

"Yes, but somehow I think the clients would have preferred I not be given that lesson at their expense!"

What expense?
21-09-2009, 00:14   #7
Sparks
Category Moderator

Their website's performance.
21-09-2009, 11:35   #8
Genghiz Cohen

It takes a very special man to create a C++ class and then go back and rename the class without changing the filename.

Code:
#include SomeClass.h

RandomClass *PointerToRandomClass;
(4) thanks from:
25-09-2009, 11:48   #9
bonkey
Administrator

What is up with SQL?

Almost every time I encounter SQL written by other developers, it seems that it has been somehow considered exempt from all rules regarding coding style.

Indentation and structure? apparently "its all one query" means "no indentation required"
Casing? SQL is case-sensitive, right, so there's no need to worry about case. There's no need to even worry about consistency of case.
Comments? Are you mad? That nested set of n functions doesn't need a comment.
Aliasing? Aliasing table names to a, b, c and d is plenty, right?

What's amazing is that most of the people who I see writing sql write really nicely structured code in Java or whatever....but as soon as its time to hit the DB, then its Sin City.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-09-2009, 16:41   #10
Sparks
Category Moderator

SQL also seems to be immune from even efforts at version control and deployment controls. The number of times I've seen a dev team working on one SQL codebase only to find there's a different codebase on the live server...
25-09-2009, 20:24   #11
bonkey
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
SQL also seems to be immune from even efforts at version control and deployment controls. The number of times I've seen a dev team working on one SQL codebase only to find there's a different codebase on the live server...
Oh, don't get me started.
25-09-2009, 21:08   #12
Sparks
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkey View Post
Oh, don't get me started.
But isn't that the point of the thread?
Thanks from:
26-09-2009, 10:23   #13
Hobbes

Mod: Korean
Not really a coding horror, but once saw a programmer turn their app they were working into one line of text to protest someone taking over from them. Took them a couple of hours. They also gloated about it when the new guy turned up.

They died a little inside when the other guy pressed CTRL-SHIFT-F (auto formats the text).
26-09-2009, 11:36   #14
fasty

A database I work on has no foreign key constraints set up. None. And I'm not allowed make any. Indeed, I'm not allowed to make attempts to fix the schema in any way because it would break MAX 15 reports, which once fixed would run faster anyway.

Also, if you don't understand what byte alignment is, don't ****ing change it!
26-09-2009, 14:37   #15
dazberry

Well since we're on the database thing, we've 3 core databases that support the concept of a financial agreement (FYI: a proposal is an unactivated agreement).

On the oldest 20yo system, the primary key on the mast table for instance is agno (most of the tables are limited to 4 character names, so table names like mast, mas2, cust, payh, dats, deco, ucod, sprm, and my personal favourate - tits).

Under the proposal capture system, you will generally find proposal_no, propno or agno. Under the MIS system you will find agreement_number, and under the collections sytem you will either find agreement_number (because of the feeds from MIS) or agno.

select blah from ifs_agreements a
left outer join agreement_status s on (s.agno=a.agreement_number)
left outer join proposal p on (p.proposal_no = a.agreement_number)
etc.

D.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion