Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gear thread; Equipt, Judogi, Kimono, gloves, book & DVD's etc

Options
  • 18-09-2009 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Here it is, a thread to discuss whats mentioned in the thread title & more.

Review's, prices and suppliers, quiries, suggestions etc..

If your a supplier, post here but you'd better damned well be contributing to discussion outside of this thread too - please don't cross this line!.

Its open to all styles of course, from equipment used in self defence course's to MMA & TMA, including books & DVD's (including DVD's of events once its not pro-wrestling of course).

Lets go...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Opinions on the KuSajura JOAS? I'm in Japan and just visited the KodoKan, Their selling the JOAS for 26,460 which seems cheap for something which is meant to be high quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Boston wrote: »
    Opinions on the KuSajura JOAS? I'm in Japan and just visited the KodoKan, Their selling the JOAS for 26,460 which seems cheap for something which is meant to be high quality.

I can't speak from personal experience, but there's a thread on judoforum.com re. JOAS.

Personally I've used Norris (Competition) , Fighting Films (Master Gi) and Mizuno (Ichiban) Judogi & IMO the Fighting Films 'Master Gi' is by far the best of the three.

I think unless your a very good competition Judoka it really comes down to person 'feel' of the Gi, that and its durability.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

I had a Norris but wasnt fond of it. Have a blitz at the moment but looking to buy a new one. Any suggestions? Looking for a good quality gi and not too pushed about price as long as its worth it..

nobbo wrote: »
    I had a Norris but wasnt fond of it. Have a blitz at the moment but looking to buy a new one. Any suggestions? Looking for a good quality gi and not too pushed about price as long as its worth it..

For Judo I love my Fighting Films 'Master Gi', it hasn't shrank like my Norris Gi's in the past and regardless of sweat and being pulled about all night retains its shape and feel.

Its also tightly woven just enough to make it difficult to grab in competition and not too stiff for Randori.

I've found the Norris Gi's to shrink alot, but were otherwise tough & durable.

My Mizuno is baggie, isn't shrinking - which tbh is a pain because I got a 185 and its WAY too big. At 6'2'' I've to fold down the waist otherwise I'm tripping over the legs.

I never had a Fighting Films gi but heard good things about them. I have been told to get the new mizuno, think its the shahi?(spelling is probably wrong), but dont know what its like.

Who selling judogis in Ireland these days or wheres the easiest to get one?

• Advertisement

I never had a Fighting Films gi but heard good things about them. I have been told to get the new mizuno, think its the shahi?(spelling is probably wrong), but dont know what its like.

Who selling judogis in Ireland these days or wheres the easiest to get one?

Where are you?.

Well spending alot of time in galway at the moment..

Well spending alot of time in galway at the moment..

Ok well I buy from Jennifer Kane @ 0876897814, she's a truely lovely person to deal with and cheap.

Or you've got Alan Martin, you can find his contact details on the Judo Ireland website.

MeaveD who posts here might be able to help you too, PM her.

Oh yeah I remember Jennifer she used to do all the comps?

Might stay with people on the IJA side of things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Scootay

Quick gear question: what can I use to clean inside gloves and focus mitts? Should I look for a tin of the spray bowling alleys use for shoes or can anyone recommend anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

MaeveD who posts here might be able to help you too, PM her.

Thanks Bruno Colossal Bride, but Fightlord don't do Judo gis, just BJJ and Aikido :)

Scootay wrote: »
    Quick gear question: what can I use to clean inside gloves and focus mitts? Should I look for a tin of the spray bowling alleys use for shoes or can anyone recommend anything else?

Fabreeze worked great for me when I was kickboxing. If your gloves are really sweaty leave them in a dry place stuff with newspaper (honestly!!) over night then spray - works a treat.
    MaeveD wrote: »
    Thanks Makikomi, but Fightlord don't do Judo gis, just BJJ and Aikido :)

That could be a problem as the new Judo Rules mean that a Judogi deemed illegal by the ref is an instant dismissal from competition, to date its been a case that the ref could order the Judoka just to change Gi - that option is gone now.

Lads, I don't want this thread sounding like a Judo discussion - lets get the convo going eh!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

I bought my gloves from this crowd, I was happy with the price, shipping and the gloves.

I'd buy from them again.

http://www.mmafightwear.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

I kitted out my club with these guys. They have a very good range, and they provided me with a good service:

http://www.blitzsport.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

www.black-eagle.co.uk I use these bjj gis at my place.Great quality and service from them and quick delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

I'm going to be taking up Judo from next week onwards & I'm looking for a decent but affordable Gi for starting off.

Has anybody here got a Fushida Gi?
    I've read elsewhere that they're good Gi's & I'm currently living in the same city where the company is based.

thanks in advance!

Hephaestus wrote: »
    I'm going to be taking up Judo from next week onwards & I'm looking for a decent but affordable Gi for starting off.

Has anybody here got a Fushida Gi?
    I've read elsewhere that they're good Gi's & I'm currently living in the same city where the company is based.

thanks in advance!

I've never used it, but I remember reading something on it on judoforum.com

If your starting off I'd recommend not spending a whole lot on a fancy Gi as you won't notice the small differences between the different makers & you should still get many years wear even from a cheap Gi.

Just an update on the Mizuno Gi I mentioned earlier.

This was a new Gi for me, which I wasn't impressed with initially - but its quickly becoming my favourite. Although its pre-shrunk before purchase the weave have tightened and stiffed up a lot, making it a very hard Gi to grip (so I'm told :) ) I'll be putting it into competition over the next few weeks as a result :)

The fushida people seem to do some cheep training Gi's though. Might be worth a look rather then going for the typical "dojo" brand.

The mizuno gi you mention, is that from the same person you put me in contact with? With any luck I'll be picking mine up this weekend.

Anyone know where to get a Jujutsu Gi? Plenty of places seem to do BJJ.

The mizuno gi you mention, is that from the same person you put me in contact with? With any luck I'll be picking mine up this weekend.

I got it from Jen.

I think the fit will better fit you than me, the pants are still very long for my liking.

She'll most likely have a stall at the Leinster Open in Finglas on Saturday, unfortunetly I'm on duty so can't compete. However I'll try get off for an hour, so if anyone see's a big fecker in DPM's and shaved head say "Hi M".

I got it from Jen.

I think the fit will better fit you than me, the pants are still very long for my liking.

She'll most likely have a stall at the Leinster Open in Finglas on Saturday, unfortunetly I'm on duty so can't compete. However I'll try get off for an hour, so if anyone see's a big fecker in DPM's and shaved head say "Hi M".

Yea, I'll be poping out to finglas if she has it in by then. Not overly fond of long trousers tbh, but we'll see. I may wear my brit DPM just to confuse people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

If your starting off I'd recommend not spending a whole lot on a fancy Gi as you won't notice the small differences between the different makers
    The fushida people seem to do some cheep training Gi's though. Might be worth a look rather then going for the typical "dojo" brand.

Yeah I'm not going to spend a whole lot on a Gi initially & Fushida do sell Gi's @ a pretty affordable price.

I sent Fushida an e-mail & they recommended that I train in my BJJ Gi until their new lean cut ICON model comes out next month as I'm a slim build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Anyone recomend a site (online, don't have the time to drop down and check stuff out) that can do custom, and by custom I mean able to print your logo, not just print a name on Thai Shorts.
    Also looking to do this for tee-shirts - sleevless, and hoodies.
    Looking for quality, not cheap fall apart when someone looks at it gear, and printing that doesn't crack after the first wash? Sanshou is full contact and involves throws so the tee-shirts and shorts need to be able to keep up / stay up!!!
    Looking for and option of ongoing as its for a club - singular and small batch purchases.
    any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Niall

I got it from Jen.

Just for reference, the Mizuno Judogi she's selling is the Mizuno Ichiban, part number 18001. Apparently these are heavier then later Ichiban models and some people seem interested in specifically getting the 18001 version as it's largely discontinued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gary.k10

I came across these mma fairtex gloves on ebay but they seem a bit cheap compared to other places, any idea why? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/FAIRTEX-FGV12-Grappling-Gloves-Cage-MMA-UFC-B-W-M-L-XL_W0QQitemZ110442912479QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportingGoods_Boxing_RL?hash=item19b6e91adf&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Do any of the boxing/thai boxing gyms in Dublin have a shop that sells gloves? Looking for a few pairs of 10z boxing gloves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Bridgestone Man

Hi loveless,

Yes we have a shop in the Bridgestone Gym and we have 10 oz Gloves 'Boon' made in Thailand (Velcro only) Red, Blue or Black in stock. Lots of other thai stuff in stock also.

See contacts page for directions on our website www.bridgestonemuaythai.com
    Dont think its allowed to price on here so PM me for Price list.

Regards,
    Paul Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

8 PAIRS THAI SHORTS &
    10 PAIRS OF 10oZ GLOVES IN LEATHER WITH WRAPS
    SIMILAR TO BELOW WITH SCORE CIRCLE
    GOIN CHEAP
    ANYONE INTERESTED PM THANKS JEFF.

BlackShorts.jpg
    133837-boxing_gloves_white.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Hello there guys,

Just letting you know, a new sports/martial arts shop is opening up where the budget travel once was on main street of athy, the shop should be opening on december 5th and is being run by BJJ blue belt andrew maher. The shop will have MMA, BJJ, Boxing and martial arts equipment and apparel, everything you need under one roof... it is also a fully equipped sports shop.

This has been a long time coming for andrew and a lot of hard work has gone into it. Athybjj would like to wish him best of luck in his endever:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

New to kickboxing. Looking for focus pads and mitts. Can anyone tell me where I could get them, either online or in a store (Galway, Athlone or Dublin). Thanks.

• Advertisement

I treated myself to the Kosei Inoue DVD box set for Christmas, it costs €70- but well worth every cent.

I'd highly recommend it for any Judoka here.

I can't find a youtube clip of the third in the box set.

Fantastic viewing.

Advertisement