Life with a 2 year old in Castleknock village - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-09-2009, 23:10   #1
FlowerLana

Life with a 2 year old in Castleknock village

We are thinking of moving to Castleknock village. My husband is an absolute workarholic, so I will at home with my 2year old on my own most of the time. Is it a nice place to live? I know that traffic is very bad if you want to get out of Castleknock to go to the playgrounds, creche etc. Is it really that bad? Do you think its a nice place for a young family?Thanks in advance.

Last edited by FlowerLana; 17-09-2009 at 23:16.
Advertisement
18-09-2009, 14:38   #2
who_ru

Hi ,

well i have to say traffic in castleknock is indeed very bad, there are a lot of schools in the area so this has a dramatic effect during the school term.

the village itself is quite small, one pub, petrol station, small spar shop and one or two restaurants and that's about it really. not very interesting at all. in my opinion the people of castleknock are not exactly friendly either. of course the phoenix park is nearby and would be a good place for you and your 2 year old son to visit.

the blanchardstown shopping centre is also nearby, this has almost every shop you need but it is a drive from castleknock, depending on traffic 20mins to 30mins away. roselawn shopping centre is closer, it has tescos, boots pharmacy, a newsagents, and some smaller shops. there is a trainstation in castleknock which is good if you want to leave the car at home and travel into town by train. the number 37, 38 & 39(?) buses go through castleknock into town, single ticket costs 2.20.

that's about it really, hope this helps.
18-09-2009, 14:50   #3
FlowerLana

Thanks for your reply. Do you live in Castleknock?
Traffic .... We went to see the house at 8 pm last night. We couldn't get out on M50.
18-09-2009, 14:54   #4
amtc

I would disagree totally with the original poster. There are a number of pubs within walking distance, some very nice restaurantrs, the canal, and in general a lovely area.
Thanks from:
18-09-2009, 15:08   #5
FlowerLana

Pubs & restaurants with the 2 year old... mmm - lots of fun I can tell you I am more interested in activities, playgrounds, young families around. To me it seemed like a very settled area with older people living there. Am I all wrong?

Do you think traffic will be better when they finish work on N3?
Advertisement
18-09-2009, 15:19   #6
who_ru

it is a settled area with older people living there, some younger people too, some middle aged people and some pensioners also, what does this have to do with it?

i don't know if traffic will improve when work is finished on the N3, probably not. yes i live in castleknock, oh and i forgot there's also a flower shop in the village

if you want a safe area to bring up a child then castleknock is safe, well it's all relative, traffic is awful as you know, a young girl was knocked down by a car recently and was killed so you will have to be with your kid all the time.
18-09-2009, 15:21   #7
FlowerLana

Thanks to everybody who replied. I will take it into consideration.

Last edited by FlowerLana; 18-09-2009 at 15:31.
18-09-2009, 15:28   #8
Dublin_Gunner

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree with who_ru at all.

I Don;t live in Castleknock myself, but one of my sisters has for 19 years, and another sister for the past 7.

Its a lovely area, and I find the people quite friendly.

Blanchardstown shopping centre is in no way 20-30 minutes away!!! Driving, its 10-15 MAX.

While the 'village' itself is fairly small, there are plenty of other pubs / restaurants / shops around, particularly down through Laurel Lodge, and as far down as Luttrellstown.

While its a bit of a trek to the city centre, particularly if driving (public transport is your better option, especially during rush hours), you have everything you need without having to go to the CC anyway, unless you really have to.

There are parks, playgrounds, football pitches, soccer / gaa clubs, the phoenix park, golf clubs, pubs, shops, garages, restaurants all within a small enough area of one another.

So, do I think Castleknock is a nice place to bring a family up?

In my humble opinion, yes.
Thanks from:
18-09-2009, 15:30   #9
Mr. Presentable
Closed Account

There's an awesome playground at the Visitor Centre in the Phoenix Park.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-09-2009, 15:33   #10
kenon

OP, you are probably best to post this in the Dublin 15 forum as you are more likely to find someone who lives in castleknock there.

Castleknock is a really nice area.
Thanks from:
18-09-2009, 15:35   #11
FlowerLana

How do you live there with such bad traffic? Or possibly yesterday was an exception, wasn't it?
18-09-2009, 15:44   #12
kenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerLana View Post
How do you live there with such bad traffic? Or possibly yesterday was an exception, wasn't it?
If the house is right next to the main road in Castleknock village, then yes, the traffic is going to be bad. Especially at peak times.
18-09-2009, 17:02   #13
The_Conductor
Dinosaur Train!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerLana View Post
Traffic in Castleknock is quite heavy- lots of people use it as a rat run to get into the Phoenix Park and elsewhere. Its pretty constant (as you discovered at 8PM last night)- but there is a noticeable drop over the summer months and on school holidays (and whenever the OPW decide to close the Phoenix Park gate-as they are going to so for 9 weeks from the 28th of September).

The village itself is very pleasant- and close to many facilities and amenities- its a bit of a walk- but you could get to the zoo in about 15 mins for example.

It would be accurate to say that its a lot more 'mature' an area than many parts of Blanch/Clonee- if you're really looking for lots of young families etc- you'd really be looking more at Dublin 15/Clonee- but personally I'd take Castleknock any day of the week over any area at all over the other side......
Thanks from:
19-09-2009, 12:50   #14
Grawns

Is there no possibility you could move somewhere where you know people. It's not easy getting to town from Castleknock to meet up with people. I can't stand Castleknock ( Castleknock proper - not Carpenterstown, Laural Lodge etc) It's full of nouveau rich wannanbees but my sister lives there and likes it. She went to Mount Sackville though so she's "local".

Would not recommend at all.

ps. IMHO the zoo is not 15 minutes walk away, it's a good 45. I live the other side of the park and the zoo is the town end.
19-09-2009, 16:15   #15
The_Conductor
Dinosaur Train!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawns View Post
ps. IMHO the zoo is not 15 minutes walk away, it's a good 45. I live the other side of the park and the zoo is the town end.

The wife is always telling me to slow down- I do like a good march......

You are right- there is an ersatz snob value attached to Castleknock- but the inverse of this is that it is an established area, with a good neighbourly spirit- quite unlike the badlands of Dublin15- where you could live for years without ever saying hello to your neighbours.

I'm not sure that the nouveau rich value Castleknock as much as you're implying- there are far more retired people there- than there are noveau rich.......

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion