I just moved into a new house and was looking at the various landline deals and eventually opted for Vodafone since I'm already a VF billpay customer. I initially spoke to them 3 weeks ago, 3 days before I got my house keys figuring I would start the ball rolling.
22 days later, yesterday after about 20 phonecalls and about 4 hours in total on calls and on hold I finally got the line up and running.
In my first call I spoke to a girl, gave her the existing landline number and after she had checked it, explained that I wanted a new number and was offered a package of 3mb broadband and a phone package for 35 euro.
I made my 2nd call a week later after I had heard nothing further to be told that they had a record of me calling the previous week but no details of an order so I set the process in motion all over again.
After another week I had heard nothing again so I called again and was told it was being sorted and I should heard within 5 working days. The next day I recieved my broadband modem but nothing else until I called them after 7 days (5 working days).
Over the past 3 days I made numerous phone calls to a variety of Vodafone personel, many very apologetic and very friendly and trying to help and even quite comically self effacing in what they were having to deal with because of the apparent demand, etc and had lots of promises of being called back, most of which never happened.
On Mon night I called customer service at 19.35 and was put on a holding loop playing some God awful gansta rap song continuiously. After 55 mins of working away at other stuff with my phone on speaker I hung up and called back to be told by Customer Service that their Landline services closes at 2000 and I'd obviously got lost in a loop for half an hour. In the past two days after numerous other calls I finally got an answer from someone in Vodafone that one of the reasons for delay was that the line was showing as "Reconnect Unavailable". Bottom line on this means that if there is an existing Eircom line in the house that has been cut off, you have to call Eircom and pay them 25 euro to reconnect the line before Vodafone can take it over. It took me another 4 calls to Vodafone and 2 calls to Eircom to find this out and was basically told by one of the Vodafone customer service people that nothing else would have been done from their end on this and that the order wound't have progressed further because it was up to me to do the ground work on it.
When I finally got a call back this morning from an admittedly very amusing and helpful Vodafone customer service rep and told him the story, he was about to set me up with a Vodafone Broadband and Landline package and take my order (for the third time). It sems they have a very strange computer system tracking their customers and account details?
Anyway, just thought I'd relay the story with the Caveat Emptor for anyone contemplating Vodafone for a landline service. It was damn frustrating and downright anger inducing at times which led me to against my inclinations, to take it out on the Vodafone staff at the end of the line, so much so that at least one of them hung up on me, but on the other hand I have to equally compliment many of them for their good humour and sterling attempts to help in the face of what is an equally convuluted and frustrating internal system or set up that they are faced with.
And that's all just my initial experience, I'm not yet even sure what the phone service is even actually like and haven't had the chance to set up my broadband modem yet, so I may be back here again with further updates or warnings or maybe even compliments.