Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoo apprenticeship

Options
  • 09-09-2009 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Im trying to get an apprenticeship and im wondering how to go about it and who would take me on? Im a good artist and willing to work hard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Apprenticeships are very hard to come by, especially at the moment. I wouldn't be very hopeful mate. Just go around to studios and ask. Show em portfolios. Keep coming back to show them you're serious and not just a blow in. Perservere. Still though, your chances are slim. Good luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

Maybe while trying to convince them you could say that you will work for free for 3months to show your very willing.

I know this might be hard but it's a means to an end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Personally i wouldn't expect to be paid at all if i got an apprenticeship...It's feckin hard to get one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ___BEST_EVA___

a yeah sure i would be happy to work for free i just want a chance to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Thats one way to do it. Honestly I'd move away to get one. I hear they're very easy to come by in Canada and the States.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Yep it's easier to find rocking horse poo in Ireland, smaller market and all that lark i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Yeah, girl I know moved to America and got one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

Thats one way to do it. Honestly I'd move away to get one. I hear they're very easy to come by in Canada and the States.

That just isn't true at all. There hard to get everywhere if you go on any us equivalent of this you'll see 100's if not 1000's of threads about getting an apprenticeship. skindeep have an apprentice board to cover it. There's people who have the talent and skill to get an apprenticeship that won't a lot of it's down to luck. Do you have a great portfolio put together? Does it feature tattoo imagery? What sort of styles are you most interested in? This is what you should be worrying about instead of moving to the states, regardless of where you go if you don't have the above boxes ticked you might as well not bother.

I know lots of people in the UK who are are seeking apprenticeships, they have loads of paintings up on myspace, they trade them with other perspective apprentices, produce their own flash and sketchbooks, they go to every convention they can, get tattooed by people they admire and generally hustle to get what they want. Over here I don't see any of that, all I see is a lot of kids who want to be the next Kat Von D. It's dissapointing to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Do you have a great portfolio put together?

Indeed. Without this, you are wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pixiestix

hi, dunno if this will help, i posted it a while ago http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055615413

• Advertisement
Advertisement