Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streets of Rage 1, 2 & 3 Review!

Options
  • 07-09-2009 1:13pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, Sega's answer to Nintendo's Final Fight - a side-scrolling beat-em-up with great music. It was a massive success, spawning two sequels.

Streets of Rage (known in Japan as Bare Knuckle -- you can hear Axel shout this with his special) was released in 1991, followed by SoR 2 in 1992, and SoR 3 in 1994. All three were developed by SEGA and MNM Software, and music done by Yuzo Koshiro, although I wouldn't put the Streets of Rage 3 Soundtrack on your resume - it's awful.

Myself and V1 played through SoR 1,2 and 3 and so I thought I'd give my thoughts on the games.

Streets of Rage 1

Streets_of_Rage_GEN_ScreenShot4.jpg

Plot : Some crime organization have taken over the city. So it's up to 3 dedicated police officers to clean up the Streets....of Rage!

Cast :
    Adam (the generic black guy)
    Axel (the generic white guy)
    Blaze (the hot chick)

Gameplay :
    This is where it all started. From the get go, it's obviously a HUGE rip-off of Final Fight. Holy God, it's so, so similar. But Sega never got sued. Graphics were great for the time, the music unprecedently awesome club-style music, pushing that Blast Processor to the max! Side-scrolling action, being able to move up and down to match your enemies' position. Three buttons - punch/kick, jump and special.
    This is the only one where "robocop" as we named him, drives up and shoots huge gunfire into the air, and clears the screen of all the filth, leaving you unharmed. AWESOME. Yes, he somehow is still on the boat level, and even when you're on the elevator outside a building, he shoots through the building to help you out! Thanks, Robocop!
    The different baddies rely a lot on "palette swapping", which is when it's the same basic model, but in different colours. Like in Street Fighter 2, Ken and Ryu are the same models, but different colour pallettes.

You know what's awesome about SoR, never mind that you're cleaning up the streets, beating up low-life punks? You can STAB them! YES! ARRR! And BATTER GIRLS! Take that, bitch! BYAH!! (Sorry :eek::D)

A lot of the baddies in SoR 1 remained on:
    Standard punk with blue cut-off jacket and pants.
    Then there's the one in the mohawk and yellow jacket.
    Sexy S&M girls with whips. The kneel down after one hit.
    Clowns juggling weapons. Annoying bastards.
    Karate dudes. You suck!

Bosses :
    Guy with boomerang. Kick this guy's antipodean ass! Bloody chaz-wazzer!
    Freddy (blonde dude with claws)
    The Ultimate Warrior (****in kicks ass man, bit of a cheater with his punch/clothesline)
    Fire-breathing fat guys ( you can't suplex them eico_sad2.gif )
    Palette-swapping Blaze. Do you think we wouldn't notice? They're pretty rock hard. Your best bet is to hit them when they're coming down for a jump, but they're pretty unfair bitches.
    Mr X, the final boss, is a ****. He has a gun, the only one in the game. You'll lose a good few lives taking down this arse!

Levels : Back Alley, Inner City (pretty much the same), Beachfront, Bridge under construction, Ship, Factory, Lift, inside Mr. X's place, Mr. X

Pros : the engine for the game started it all -- it's shamelessly ripped off in SoR 2 & 3.
    The baddies from SoR 2&3 mostly come from here.
    Robocop to bail you out!
    Music is the best out of the three
    Difficulty is perfect. Except for the very end, but that can be forgiven.

Cons : Graphics are a bit ropey
    Limited moveset

Overall?
    This game KICKS SO MUCH ASS! It's SO satisfying, and simple as well. Batter people until the sign says "Go!", which is the coolest go sign of the three.

A problem with all three, is the hit detection. Not only will you hit your partner, but sometimes your shots will go THROUGH your opponents to hit ur partner! WTF! Oh yeah, and baddies' bullets go through their own, and hit you. Bull****!

============================================

Streets of Rage 2

streetsofragetop10.jpg

Story : One year later, the streets have becoming dangerous again. Mr X is back somehow from the dead. Adam (black guy) is kidnapped, so this time we have a Haggar (FF) clone, Max, a wrestler, and also the very demographic-grabbing Skate (black kid)....4 friends hit the streets...of Rage! Two!

Cast :
    Max (wrestler, slow heavy hitter) : Does suplexes and grabs face and PUNCHES IT until they go down. ****ING AWESOME
    Axel (generic white street fighter is back!) His uppercuts and haymakers now have dragon flames....copyright infringment intended
    Blaze has full out-Chun Li'd. She has a kikoken, and does lots of flips remeniscent of Chunners. She also has bigger thighs now. She's pretty hot alright.
    Skate sucks.

So instead of robocop helping you out, you have a special, which drains a bit of life. Bit of give and take, I guess. I miss Robocop!

Music is worse, although more intricate. The sprites are redrawn, much meatier. More, varied attacks. Max kicks ass! Wresling baby!

In addition to the better-drawn re-hashes of SoR 1 baddies, we have Donovan, the bandana-wearing brown-clad punk. Don't jump in at him because he'll uppercut you.
    Roided punk with a knife.
    White dude with black hair and a mustache. Not as hard as he'd seem. Especially since you can double team him!
    Brutus Beefacake wearing Road Warrior Spikes on bikes. They come in and out of the screen, driving their motorcycles. You have to drop kick them off. Great idea, but annoying in practice.
    There's fags on jetpacks who are annoying.
    S&M girls are back
    There's a blanka dude, who sucks
    The bald fatties who spit fire now wear caps and suspenders
    The Ultimate Warriors make a return!
    Now there's kickboxers and a cheap bastard boxer.
    You also get robots and Shiva, Mr. X's bodyguard.

Stages : Back Alley, Bridge under construction, Amusement Park, Stadium, Ship, Seaside/Jungle, Machinery Plant. Lift, Mr. X -- VERY, VERY SIMILAR TO SoR 1!

Good : Improved graphics
    Music good, not great

Bad : It's the same game as SoR 1. Most of the characters, baddies and bosses are recycled.

Overall : Very enjoyable, but it's the same damn game as SoR 1! It's prettier and there are more attacks, but it has to be the most unoriginal sequel ever! It's the same damn game! And the same type of levels! GET THE BOAT! Saying SoR2 is better than SoR1 is like saying that this toaster is better than that toaster because there's a fiver inside.

===================================

Streets of Rage 3.

streets_of_rage_3_image_qzEmSibfwPIsdMt.gif

Graphically updated, but still the same game. This game is FAR too hard. The jump in difficulty is ridiculous. Normal is hard. Easy is still harder than SoR 1/2's normal. WTF!

Storyline : Mr X is somehow back. Again. Adam is "too busy" to help (WHAT THE ****!)

Characters : We have Axel, Blaze, Skate and Van (sorry Dr Zan). Adam is TOO ****ING BUSY to save the Streets?!?! WHAT?! I'm serious, that's the reason the plot gives for Adam not being in this game! Your plot is 3 lines long. WTF! The combos are really sweet in SoR3, but wow the enemies are difficult!

The music is atrocious in this game. Definitely the mid-90s that we ALL want to forget! Rave is in effect.

In this game, instead of having a special that decreases your health, you have a "special meter" using a special while it's not charged uses up health.

Enemies : Goldie looks like Alex. There's some more punks, new ones. Donovan, Standard punk and mohawk punk are certainly back! New "Agent Smiths" with guns. These guys are so annoying, as their bullets travel through enemies to you. God damnit! Fat guys spitting fire are back, bikers now take a few hits to go down,
    Shiva and the whip girls are back, now a Clown, with Roo are here. Sparing Roo means you can play as him. BOO!!! FIRE RUSSO!

Donovan rides a bulldozer in one level. You're supposed to hit the bulldozer to get him to back off! There's karate guys with flaming red hair. Pretty cool, and easy to beat if they don't start cheaping u with dropkicks.

Bosses : An Axel robot. What differentiates him is he has a Matt Hardy/HHH bad tan. What pisses me off about this game is that baddies can move faster than you, and also there is massive slow down in parts of the game. WTF lads, sort it out.

Yamato, a ninja that splits into three. What a ****. Unfair.
    There's ninjas, who cheap. Throwing stars and the like.
    Robot duplicate of Mr X. Got battered pretty easy.
    little robocop jumping beans. They suck.
    Jet dudes.
    Some mad scientist who has a claw. TERRIBLE idea.
    ROBOT Y. God, what a ****ing terrible name and character, but par for the course for robot clones.

Levels : Harbour, Nightclub (with strobe lights, pretty cool although makes it harder!), Construction site (how original!), Train tracks, hideout, Saving the Police Chief on a few different floors (GRRR!) either robot factory & Robot Y, or City Hall and Shiva.

Good : Varied movesets.
    Graphics look great.
    Some new characters
    suplexing, punching robots is hilarious
    branching endings

Bad :
    Music is God-AWFUL
    Game is too hard
    Storyline is ****ing ATROCIOUS!
    lots of re-hashed characters
    Skate is still there, Adam is TOO BUSY
    Roo SUCKS! GET THE BOAT
    Levels are unimaginative
    Robots suck....
    Mr X is a brain in one ending, and a human in another ending
    That you're supposed to "guess" the right doors to save the Police Chief
    Mr. prize-catching robot arm. BOOO!!!!!

Overall: I didn't enjoy playing this game that much, because it was so hard. I don't enjoy cheap bastard enemies that stay off screen until I turn my back. And the level of unoriginality is huge. C'mon guys! Although they did try new things, some were very hit an miss. The type of attacks were all too familiar.

===================================

OVERALL : I'd recommend playing SoR 1 mostly, or 2 if you're a stickler for graphics. One of the classic side-scrolling beat-em-ups, which every gamer should really try out. Although nothing original, it was pretty cool and satisfying to play, which is the main thing. Battering punks and cleaning up the city is what it's all about!

I played these games (well the first two) when I was a kid so there's definitely a nostalgic/retro feel to them. I'd be weary of introducing them to a younger gamer because beat-em-ups must be really foreign to them, they probably won't like it. Just as I'm not a fan of Pac-Man or Donkey Kong, they probably don't see the awesome value in Beat-Em-Ups.

SoR 2 is available on XBL, and ALL THREE are available on the Sega Collection for the PS2 and PS3.

======

Anyway, please let me know if you enjoyed the review, if so I'll post some more :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You are better off playing the japanese version of SoR3. It's a far, far superior game. It's much easier (normal mode in the american and PAL versions is harder than hard mode in the japanese version, some enemies take x4 health off compared to the japanese one), there's also an extra boss, a guy biker guy that I think is also a playable secret character. The story is also supposedly much better although in japanese and the cinematic sequences look loads better.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

http://www.streetsofrage.net/bare_knuckle_iii.htm

There's a list of all the differences/censorship between bare Knuckle III and Streets of Rage 3. They fairly mangled the conversion alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Great review dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Great review, thanks! We are starting to see a few reviews of retro games popping up here on the forum, hope to see more too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was planning on a mother 1 and 2 one tonight if I had the time :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Oh yeah, forgot to say, great review! Some parts made me LOL.

Would love to see a few more!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You are better off playing the japanese version of SoR3...

Aha! Sounds like a plan. Any idea where to get it (the MAME ROM i mean)? I reckon since it's no longer available, especially in our region, it's fair game.

Is there a translated version by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

good review streets of rage is still one of my favourite games

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Aha! Sounds like a plan. Any idea where to get it (the MAME ROM i mean)? I reckon since it's no longer available, especially in our region, it's fair game.

Is there a translated version by any chance?

http://www.romhacking.net/trans/1375/

There's the translation. Can't tell you where to get the rom from since it's against charter but google helps. If you need rom patching tools zophar.net has them.

got it. Awesome! thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 James3555

Played it a while back on my friends xbox, definatley not as good as it was when I was younger

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There are tons of NeoGeo hacks called Beats of Rage, but given this forums addiction to these things, I'd say you all knew that already!

I have to say, I always hated the SoR series, and side scrolling beat-em ups in general, aside from Batman Returns on the Snes, now that was class

Playing through the Simpsons in 4 player while on holidays is my favourite memory or the genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    ...I have to say, I always hated the SoR series...

Your the devil

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just fail to see their attraction.
    When I owned a Megadrive, for the first time anyway, I used to play Road Rash 2 and 3, Sonic 3, LHX Attack Chopper and Biohazard Battle, amongst others.
    Streets of Rage always sucked, at least for me, same with Altered Beast, what a load of muck.
    Cannon Fodder though, genius

Altered Beast was indeed gash but SoR1 was great in 2 player even if the graphics have dated rather badly.

Cannon Fodder on the megadrive! Sacrilege! I should be played on the amiga or PC with a mouse. Unless you were using the megadrive mouse, then it's ok.

Erm, Megadrive mouse, yeah, sure, that's what it was.....
    I also have the great Chaos Engine, lovely jubbly!

Master of the Universe

Similar to Theme Park & Dune 2 Battle For Arakkis, Cannon Fodder actually works quite well on the Megadrive.

I have no idea if they work with the Mega Mouse? Would love to hunt one down and try it out.

They definitely work with the mouse and being based on the amiga versions the conversions are actually quite good since they use similar hardware. My first taste of theme park was on the megadrive but PC was my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I always preferred SoR1. It's longer than the sequel and the difficulty is just right. It also has the best music of the 3. Plus, I prefer the 'magic' Golden Axe style specials to those moves that drain your energy, which just seems like an annoying mechanic to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

4 friends hit the streets...of Rage! Two!
    HA ha ha!!! Hilarious!

Thanks dude :)

I recently played the Japanese version of SoR3 (some cool dudes patched a translation to it) and it was much, much better. The difficulty was perfect, the music (seemed) much less annoying, the storyline is better/less ludicrous (lol), and you can appreciate the subtle improvements on the game : inside the club with the strobe light (leaving you periodically in darkness), the branching storyline, a lift going to different levels...a huge improvement on the game overall. I'd recommend playing that version and NEVER touching the American version!

I think the biggest improvement was the camp leather daddy mini boss on the first level :)

The Japanese version really is much better than the western releases since it's not infuriatingly difficult.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think the biggest improvement was the camp leather daddy mini boss on the first level :)

The Japanese version really is much better than the western releases since it's not infuriatingly difficult.

Plus all the other unessessary changes they made. Removing the intro sequences, completely rewriting the plot so much it no longer makes sense, Censorship of enemies clothes, recolouring the main characters clothes to make them more 'gender neutral' (Blaze not in red? **** off), changes to voice effects...Sega of America can go **** themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Yeah I seem to remember Blaze not aging well between the first two and #3...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

Great review, I've always loved streets of rage so i got the sega megadrive collection for the ps3 and it's brilliant.

Advertisement