Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LM039 query Journalism/New Media

Options
  • 06-09-2009 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Hoping there might be a 1st year that noticed this before I did and got the detail before I did.

Module JM4021 is not on the time table handed out on the course meeting, and it does not appear to be on the online website . anyone have details on times and location for this module?

Also, do labs and tutorials start in Week 2 as they are not on the handed out timetable either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Labs and tutorials should be week 3 unless you hear differently form an individual lecturer.

No idea on the JM4021 question I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

labs and tutorials have been added to the site for this module, but no lectures

one more question
    11:00 - 12:00
    TUT - 3B
    S115
    1-13

What does the 3b mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

3b is your tut group iirc.

Then I presume they will give you the group details in due course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

i'm pretty sure yeah.

I'm also sure you can mix and match tutorial/labs times to suit yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkeire

you sure can. I don't think there are any real lectures in the course, because it's so small.

are you doing the course jkeire?

I take it then that some of the modules are shared with other courses. politics lecture has 305 places on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

are you doing the course jkeire?

I take it then that some of the modules are shared with other courses. politics lecture has 305 places on it.

Yep, politics (or sociology or non-specifically journalism modules) will be shared with all other courses that have politics as an option (e.g. Law & Euro, Euro Studies, HPSS, IR...anything).

Re: your timetable, the only things that are fixed in stone are the lectures. Everyone is assigned a specific group (in your case 3B, for example) for each of their tuts/labs (obviously for logisitic purposes) but in reality you can generally pick/choose your labs/tuts to suit yourself. To find on what time other groups are check the module timetable (module code is something like JM4021, for example) and pick/choose what ones suit you.

One word of warning - some (very, very few I might add) tutors/lecturers want you to stick to your own module group/time so my general rule of thumb is to go to your very first one as you are scheduled and then talk to the tutor and make some phoney excuse like you always wash your socks at this time so can't make this specific tutorial but that you'll go to XX time instead. Of course, use a better excuse, but usually there's no problem whatsoever and just saying 'it doesn't suit' is fine. Obviously, 9am tuts and 5pm tuts (especially on Fridays :pac:) are the least popular so other times will fill up quickly. So by at least turning up to your first one and telling the tutor that you'll be going to whatever one instead, it sort of gives you prerogative over other students who just land in the class in the situation that the class size becomes too big.

Also, it's handy in that say, for example, you miss your tut one week for whatever reason (you're sick, maybe), you can just turn up at a different time slot and sit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Hi Billy,

That module was left off the timetable in error. Go to Dr. Mulqueen's office SG09. The groups for Journalistic writing are up there on the wall at his door.

mud wrote: »
    Hi Billy,

That module was left off the timetable in error. Go to Dr. Mulqueen's office SG09. The groups for Journalistic writing are up there on the wall at his door.
    ve the times

ya have the times, got them yesterday morning.
    thanks anyway for the reply

• Advertisement

Hey mud, d'you have the lab on the wednesday or the thursday, if its the wednesday, let us know what it was like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Yeah, Im in for today, only staying for an hour though as I've to work tonight at half five. Might muscle in on tomorrow's as well if I think I've missed out!

Though if this week's anything to go by, we should be done by 4.15 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ceol go deo

mud wrote: »
    Yeah, Im in for today, only staying for an hour though as I've to work tonight at half five. Might muscle in on tomorrow's as well if I think I've missed out!

Though if this week's anything to go by, we should be done by 4.15 :)

Hi all, just wondering if anyone here might be able to give me a quick overview of the journalism and new media course and it's pro's/con's.. Am only in 5th yr now but so far this course looks as if it will be no1 on my CAO form! Anyone also know anything about this course in comparison to the Journalism course in DCU? They seem to have quite different modules, and no shorthand which i would've considered pretty important in practical terms?

Cheers

Shorthand isn't as difficult as it looks at first. personally I thought the cultural studies module was a bit messy as they kept changing lecturers. also it contains a group assignment which can take up a lot of time.

also it involved a two hour lecture.

Advertisement