Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Vegetarian Comfort Food?

Options
  • 02-09-2009 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Just did a big roast dinner with a Quorn roast joint. New potatoes, carrots, pepper sauce with mushrooms and basil added for some zip. 'Twas lovely. I'm also fond of pasta and spinach with pesto when I need a big feed.

So what's your favourite comfort food?

Comments

What a great idea for a thread.

BOXTY! *Potato pancakes for those from the Pale.

Any kind of ice cream.
    Channa masala with puri.
    A big mug of strong tae, or a frothy chai latte.
    Strawberry and rhubarb tart with chocolate and custard.
    Black grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Moonbaby wrote: »
    What a great idea for a thread.

BOXTY!

Oooh, but it's gotta be proper boxty, dripping in salty butter.

Top of my list is President Emmental, at room temperature or slightly warmer. Just pulling it apart, by hand. Like a mucksavage. Like the mucksavage I am.

Mater Paneer.

Govindas special with a lassi.

Oh noes! I am having a yummy overload. Can't think past these beauties!

Oooh, but it's gotta be proper boxty, dripping in saly butter.

Which reminds me

Fresh baked soda bread dripping in salty butter.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Fresh baked soda bread dripping in salty butter.

Nah,

fresh baked scones with a knob of salty butter, melting in between each one, just before you pop 'em in your mouth.

Nah,

fresh baked scones with a knob of salty butter, melting in between each one, just before you pop 'em in your mouth.

I put currents in my white soda bread. It is effectively a giant scone :D
    !

Ouh! Banana bread muffins.....that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

mashed potato and cabbage piled up and a big lump of butter on the top....

or with a couple of vege-sausages and some Bisto Onion Gravy (the granule one, with a splash of red wine added)

or macaroni cheese

*drooling now*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

fried falafal and egg sandwich, in some soft, grainy wholegrain bread with a chewy crust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

mmm had roast spuds and gravy for dinner tonight. yum!

i don't think i have a particular comfort food at the moment; it's really whatever i'm in the mood for. which lately is hot oatmilk in my favourite mug :) mmmm, i guess i'd have to go with this as my current yummy snack; 'cheesey' sauce (made with dairy free cheese sauce mix and oatmilk) with added grated mozerella cheezley on penne pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Everyone has proper meals.

Nothing beats peanut butter on toast. Melting everywhere and really messy to eat.

Aoifums wrote: »
    Nothing beats peanut butter on toast. Melting everywhere and really messy to eat.

Ooooh, I got a tip off my sistah, who got this off Nigella
    **prepare to heave yer bosoms, wiggle lots and lick your lips**

Anyhoo, mix broken pieces of chocolate with peanut butter and nuke for a few seconds, stir vigorously to melt (maybe nuking again a little) and when it's all mixed together, dollop it on a scoop of icecream (or three).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Roasting anything always does the trick. So easy too :)
    Tonight I had roast potatoes, peppers and tofu with some brown rice.
    I'm eating too much of the sort lately though!

As for comfort food of the sweet variety, Tesco finest swiss dark chocolate with orange pieces is currently my chocolate of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Missiechan wrote: »
    Just did a big roast dinner with a Quorn roast joint. New potatoes, carrots, pepper sauce with mushrooms and basil added for some zip. 'Twas lovely. I'm also fond of pasta and spinach with pesto when I need a big feed.

So what's your favourite comfort food?

great thread idea alright...
    by sheeer coincidence I just used some left-over Quorn roast in a bagel. I tear the 'roast' rather than cut it (for texture) and then fry it in hot oil for very little time. I lashed jalapeno hummus on a toasted onion bagel, added a pile of fryed over-quorn and declared it the most comfortable comfort food since I ate a form pillow.

mashed potato and cabbage piled up and a big lump of butter on the top....

or with a couple of vege-sausages and some Bisto Onion Gravy (the granule one, with a splash of red wine added)

traditionally curly kale is used rather than cabbage and guess what... we're coming into kale season! I often add a fried egg and beans as well as the sos-mix sossie/instead of the gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    traditionally curly kale is used rather than cabbage and guess what... we're coming into kale season! I often add a fried egg and beans as well as the sos-mix sossie/instead of the gravy.

mmmmmmmmmmm kale......
    I'm fighting the slugs for posession of my kale plants. Lovely stuff, stands up to the cold wet winter weather a treat. Shred, steam, butter and a touch of black pepper.....

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

fried falafal and egg sandwich, in some soft, grainy wholegrain bread with a chewy crust.

this sounds so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Everyone has proper meals.

oh god yes!! and with a bit of butter too mmmmmmm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Slaphead07 wrote: »

Just had kale recently for the first time, two types I think. Thanks to Khrystyna100's garden, is yummy and so is chard. Maybe it was 2 types of chard, I can't really tell which is which, I leave that to the sister. Moral of the story is yum.

Chef brown sauce is my happy food so I'll just add it to anything. And the pizza in bistro bianconi, which I just bought or mattar paneer from govindas in Galway never fail to please.

Apart from that...Ben and Jerrys...mmmm.

The Belgians have their own version of Champ. They sprinkle nutmeg on top/in. I was going through a phase of chucking mucho pepper on top of mine so didn't expect it to work but it does! A fine feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Chick peas, hot or cold, with olive oil and some ground pepper. I could eat them till I turn into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

this sounds so good.

you should try it after a few drinks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Ooooh, I got a tip off my sistah, who got this off Nigella
    **prepare to heave yer bosoms, wiggle lots and lick your lips**

Anyhoo, mix broken pieces of chocolate with peanut butter and nuke for a few seconds, stir vigorously to melt (maybe nuking again a little) and when it's all mixed together, dollop it on a scoop of icecream (or three).

That sounds divine!!!
    maameeo wrote: »
    oh god yes!! and with a bit of butter too mmmmmmm

Are you saying put butter and peanut butter together :confused::eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I would reckon so, aye:) My comfort food...i liek caek!...and toast with loads of butter:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

been sick the last couple of days, when I've cold/flu-like things all I want in comfort food :(

last night for dinner my bf made me a special burger, went like this from the bottom up:

lovely soft white bap covered in mayo, then rocket, quorn bramley apple burger (YUM!!), moar rocket, sliced tomatoes, quorn bramley apple burger with a slice of melted cheese on top, ketchup, other side of the yummy white bap. OINK!!

Tonight then I had a chicken fake-let burger:

Another of those yummy white baps stuffed with rocket, 2 quorn chicken fillets and one side ketchup, one side mayo.

I'd say I've put on a few pounds this week but meh, ive been sick I dont care :pac: when I'm better i'll start watching it again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

toast with loads of butter:D

mmmmm toast *drools*

toast/bread will be my downfall :(

if it wasnt so nyommy I'd be about a stone lighter I'd say :D

It makes sense. :D
    Gloopier is good when it comes to peanut butter.

Which reminds me ......Reeces peanut butter cups. ~sigh~

Toast with mayo, butter, cheese and jam.
    It sounds really wrong, but it is nice honest.

Molberts wrote: »
    been sick the last couple of days, when I've cold/flu-like things all I want in comfort food :(

It is not your fault. That is the law! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Missiechan

Woot! I made a popular thread! (Dance of triumph ensues, to the tune of "Whoomp! There it is!")

I used to hate soup until I was given this butternut squash soup in a hotel. It was flavoured with turmeric and too good for its own good. I've since recreated it and I like to eat it with big chunks of bread (freshly made with Odlum's Tomato bread mix). Glargh....

And Caesar salad. It saved my life in Florida, I would lick the dressing off the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lo2009

i love a vegetarian curry when it's done well, also, you cant beat creamy mashed potatoes whipped to perfection then pour on some onion gravy:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

A really big veggie lasagne made with Quorn mince. Eaten with loads garlic bread on the side. Mmmmm

By the way - where do you get these Quorn Bramley Apple burgers?? They sound lovely! Never seen them anywhere in Dublin before. :(

• Advertisement

By the way - where do you get these Quorn Bramley Apple burgers?? They sound lovely! Never seen them anywhere in Dublin before. :(

I've seen them in Tesco, Dundrum Town Centre but their stock is very erratic.

Advertisement