Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-08-2009, 17:13   #1
Elle13

Which maternity hospital in Dublin to pick???

Hi everyone,

hope all of yous are well.
I am trying to make a decission which maternity hospital in Dublin to pick for having my first baby in..
Seams like tough enough decission... different people different experience obviously.. I still need a bit of advice..
I already know I am not able to go with Mount Carmel since they are very dear! I have good enough plan with VHI but the amount they would contribute for having the baby in Mount Carmel is really funny more then anything else..
I am thinkin about going semi privat but even there I am not too sure which hospital to choose plus I mite not even have the choice wide as I called around and in one of them.. particulary Rothunda.. they told me I was way too late trying to book the appointent.. I am in my 10th week now and only found out few days ago and they are saying I am late already.. a bit scary on the top of everything else...
Anyway.. can yous please let me know your experience..if you have any with places like Rothunda, Holles Street and Combee maybe? I would really appreciate it...
Also if you have positive experience with any other maternity hospital let me know too.
Pregnancy is apparently suppose to be enjoyable time but so far it feels like lot of sick days and a lot of stress over loads of other issues
Thank you so much!
Advertisement
27-08-2009, 18:17   #2
lalalulu

Hi Elle13.. Congrat's on your pregnancy
I had my daughter in holles st 10 months ago. I found it a great hospital to have my baby. The hospital itself is quite old but it's very well kept and the staff are great. Now i did come across a few staff member's who weren't the friendliest (sp?) but ya know yourself in all walk's of life people can be rude!
So in regard's to going semi, private or public i can see the difference with semi and public being the time you have to wait for your outpatient's appointment's. As far as i know in holles st semi private appointments are in the afternoon's while public patient's wait a lot longer to be seen on the day.
I don't know much about private care except it's expensive
I would recommend holles st to anyone and if i do have another baby i will definitely go back. Hope this helps... Best of luck
27-08-2009, 18:46   #3
silja

Send a message via Yahoo to silja
Honestly, for public and semi-private, most Dublin hospitals are more or less the same, and you'll hear good and bad stories about all of them. One thing you may want to consider is where you live/ work, especially if you don't plan on doing combined care and going to your GP for a lot of the early pregnancy appointments. Ie if you live in South Dublin and work there too, do you really want to bother with Dublin city center traffic for every appointment, and then when you go into labour?

I went to H Street, private, but spent the first two nights after birth in a semi-private room. Found it very good- nice nurses, good food etc.
28-08-2009, 14:12   #4
Elle13

Thanks a mill girls.. helps a lot to hear the experience.
Now I am coming across another question... combined care or all in hospital????
28-08-2009, 14:15   #5
janbaby

A huge reason we picked The Coombe is the parking. I would hate to be in labour driving around town looking for a space and then worrying about being clamped!
Advertisement
28-08-2009, 17:21   #6
lalalulu

Janbaby believe me when you are in labour you won't give a sh*t if your car is clamped
OP i went with combined care i think it's the best thing to do if you go public as it get's very busy in the outpatient's dept. The less you have to go into the hospital the better in my opinion. It's not that the hospital experience is bad but just it can get stressful when your carrying a huge bump around
28-08-2009, 18:36   #7
Elle13

Thanks again to all of you..
I know that I would not be picking the hospital by the parking option and thats for sure... there are other lots more important things to think of before parking...
28-08-2009, 21:03   #8
ebmma

If you are overall healthy enough you can consider community midwives. waiting times are way shorter and if something doesn't look good they'll arrange for you to see a doctor anyway.

Holles st. midwives cover south dublin and wicklow. there's something similar in rotunda, but the coverage is not very good.
29-08-2009, 10:12   #9
Moonbeam

I had my girl in January in holles st.
The staff are fantastic
I really can not complain.
Advertisement
29-08-2009, 11:40   #10
eimsRV

I had my daughter in Holles St in January. I went private with combined care through GP. In the early stages this was handy as I didn't have to go in to town each time, but due to problems with pregnancy ended up in HS quite a bit in the 3rd trimester.
Everyone I dealt with in Holles St were wonderful. Parking can be a bit of a pain but wouldn't be a huge consideration. I really felt myself and my daughter were so well cared for, and would definetly choose this hospital again.
Number of private rooms is limited so if you go semi-private and your helth insurance cover private accomm I don't think there is much chance of getting a private room as the consultants seem to book them for their patients as far as i could see. I'm not sure if this differs in others hospitals? Also food was decent.
One minor point was they were introducing a new television scheme so each bed have their own tv with phone and internet, but you had to pay for this.
I was in hospital for a week, and my dd was in ICU so I watched TV a bit to pass the time. Found this a bit of a pain as the system crashed quite often. Hopefully they've ironed out the creases now but again its not a huge factor

Best of luck with your pregnancy

x
29-08-2009, 12:06   #11
CathyMoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimsRV View Post
I had my daughter in Holles St in January. I went private with combined care through GP. In the early stages this was handy as I didn't have to go in to town each time, but due to problems with pregnancy ended up in HS quite a bit in the 3rd trimester.
Everyone I dealt with in Holles St were wonderful. Parking can be a bit of a pain but wouldn't be a huge consideration. I really felt myself and my daughter were so well cared for, and would definetly choose this hospital again.
Number of private rooms is limited so if you go semi-private and your helth insurance cover private accomm I don't think there is much chance of getting a private room as the consultants seem to book them for their patients as far as i could see. I'm not sure if this differs in others hospitals? Also food was decent.
One minor point was they were introducing a new television scheme so each bed have their own tv with phone and internet, but you had to pay for this.
I was in hospital for a week, and my dd was in ICU so I watched TV a bit to pass the time. Found this a bit of a pain as the system crashed quite often. Hopefully they've ironed out the creases now but again its not a huge factor

Best of luck with your pregnancy

x
I am goimg there, glad about the net!
29-08-2009, 12:16   #12
Elle13

Thanks a mill again to all of you girls.
All of your experience helped and I was quite under preassure to pick and book the hospital so now I have it done.
I am going to Holles st. semi-privat. They told me I was late booking in but they squeezed me in so my first appointment is only week away..
I have still a good bit to go but I can't wait for the little one to arrive!
Thanks again and the best of luck to all of yous.
xxx
29-08-2009, 22:50   #13
Moonbeam

I was in the Merrion wing(private rooms) early January and a girl came around selling cards to use the tv but there was no internet access.
Though my other half had his laptop and 3G card with him so we were online within hours!
I did not bother with the tv though due to having a small baby girl to stare at
It is lovely there,the food menus are nice too.They bring you tea during the day too.
I would go back anytime!
01-09-2009, 04:37   #14
crazy cat lady

I trained and worked as a midwife in Holles St, and although I don't work there anymore, I'm going back there to have my baby in December.

Not bothering with Private/Semi Private. The care is as good whether you go public or private. The midwives and staff are the same whichever scheme you choose.

I'd definately recommend using the Domino scheme if you can! Its a brilliant service and one that I would be using if I was in the catchment area.
(2) thanks from:
05-09-2009, 02:14   #15
ziggy23

I was originally goin to go to Holles Street public as thats where i had been attending for all my womens problems went for my 1st app when I was about 17 weeks (only found out i was preggers a month before) I have to say the doctor was soooo rude to me basically told me to get up on the bed.Checked my heartbeat did a scan for 2 seconds which I couldnt see. When I asked him when do I get my proper scan (anomoly scan) his reply was 'what is wrong with this scan jesus were doing our best' then barked at me not to put on over a stone and a half for the whole pregnancy I walked home in tears. Maybe it was my hormones but I just felt he was very rude.

Anyway my mam rang the rotunda and i managed to get me an app semi-private. I find them brill. I have a scan everytime I go and they are great at monitoring my underactive thyroid. I missed an app once and they were ringing me all morning to make sure I was ok. Thats just my experience anyway. I never had a problem with holles street before that. It was just that doctor....maybe he was havin an off day or something

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion