Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Window Manufacturers!

Options
  • 25-08-2009 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭

Hey guys! Not looking for advice on this one, just a general rant. We're almost there with our window supplier decision. We've gone from 15 quotes down to 3, nearly 2. One of the 2 finalists is major a Irish joinery the other is a higher end danish importer. I've been trying to get a final best price out of the Irish company but they just don't seem interested in our business. The danish window is better but the Irish is cheaper, it's a value for money exercise! If the Irish windows were at the right price we'd get them but like I said they just don't appear interested. I've also noticed that the other Irish owned manufacturer didn't follow up our quote when the Scandinavian's did. The Irish companies were probably milking the mass development market for last few years and forgot about the business that they started out with. I'd prefer to spend 20k in Ireland than 25k in Denmark. Anyone else any similiar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Hey there Mr Edge,
    When I got quotes for windows from a large Irish company that supplied the development market, the price for the whole house was €9,000. I'd heard and seen a few too many horror stories despite the fact that they're supposedly a lot better than a couple of years ago however.
    I took my plans to a reputable local supplier who uses a very well established German window, the price for the job is just €2,000 more expensive..

A friend of mine makes a good living just doing nixers fixing windows that were installed by said Irish manfacturers. He loves to see as many people as possible using the company in question!! I was with him once when he was fixing a lock on a conservatory door.. The owner forgot to leave the key, but my friend had the door open within seconds anyway.. That and looking at how shabby the windows were was enough to make my mind up..

I do agree with your principle of buying local and using the Irish manufacturer but for me, I just had too many misgivings about whether the quality would be good enough and I want to avoid as many "I told you so"s as possible so it was an easy enough decision in the end. Speak to a few people who've used the Irish manufacturer and it'll help make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Hey Forrest, I accept that the Irish window may not be as good as the imported one and i'm factoring that into the saving. but I find the attitude of the Irish manufacturer to potential customers appalling. It's like a one off build is not worth the hassle for them. I'm prepared to accept a lower standard at the right price but refuse to accept to poor customer service they show to potential customers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Hey Forrest, I accept that the Irish window may not be as good as the imported one and i'm factoring that into the saving. but I find the attitude of the Irish manufacturer to potential customers appalling. It's like a one off build is not worth the hassle for them. I'm prepared to accept a lower standard at the right price but refuse to accept to poor customer service they show to potential customers!

just right.. in these times, there's enough good suppliers chomping at the bit to get your custom and I've also heard loads of annecdotes that the Irish manufactures after-sales service is shocking... If they don't seem bothered about getting your business, they'll hardly be bothered about whether or not they do you a good job, etc.. You should be able to get some local smaller suppliers who use quality foreign made windows at close to the price from the Irish manufacturer.. If that €5,000 gap became a €2,000, it might just put the nail in the coffin for good for you.. Personally, I wouldn't accept questionable quality from suppliers who don't seem too interested..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Imagine what the after sales service would be like if you managed to win the Irish crowd around? If the sales men weren't that interested in your business then they won't care that much about you if you have problems down the line or need some spare parts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RVR

Perhaps the high cost of manufacturing in Ireland is playing a part here?

Maybe the irish company are already at or near their final price? It may not appear attractive to them to lower their price any further - maybe they're just not making enough money out of it at a lower price!!!

Or maybe they just couldn't be bothered ;););)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

What area are you in... Got windows from a company who were a pleasure to deal with. Salesman is local and very helpful, available to take a phonecall at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

What frustrated me was the total lack of interest.23k is hell of a lot of money. We've pretty much decided to go with danish import. The problem wasn't with the actual price. I'm an accountant in manufacturing company well aware of the pressures but I make sure if a potential customer has a query it is dealt with immediately. The problem was getting them to finalise the quote. It took them 5 days to confirm the u value of 1.4. The rep didn't know when he showed us the sample!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I have been unable to get prices from a very large joinery company down south during the boom. I recently sent them drawings and had to ring the rep. 3 times to remind him to send me the quote. he kept saying he would email it. I eventually rang head office to see if he had left or been let go.
    I now have no choice but to import all my timber wndows and doors. The quality is far superior, the U value is for colder climate, and I get them quicker.

when using PVC windows I am happy to use small local companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dodgey69

Hi. Im currently building a house and am at the stage where i need to get the windows sorted. can people pm me who they used that they would recomend, also id be interested in the overseas companies.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 40 2sounds

Yep been there , back and there again. Im re tendering at the moment and have posted on this several times. Irish companies from timber frame to windows dont seem bothered and are not trying to win business in my experience. Weve agreed on one Irish window manufacturer , high spec , sliding bifold etc who are however very good , competetive and are doing their best to facilitate me in every way possible, ill pm you the details if you wish.

As for trying to buy local , yes nice idea and very patriotic but I say forget it. If youve given irish companies the option and their not interested give your budget to those who want it and will give you a good product with good service at a good price.

goodluck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mallini

Hi 2sounds,

Could you pm those details to me also. We are currently talking to 2 window manufacturers but no harm throwing another name in the hat. Thanks a mill.

Mallini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

2sounds

Could you pm that company please as well.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭fuchia

Hi 2sounds,

Could you PM me those window contact details also.

Thanks

Fuchia

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

Could you send me on the details also please...

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭selfbuildache

Never mind JUST your window manafacturers! We've found the same all the way up - from digging out our site, to the timber frame - some companies just not bothering or half bothering.
    One example- We have a quarry less than 2 miles from us and do you think the guy would negotiate with us for digging out and filling our site? It looks like we'll be going with someone who'll have to drive a lot further but is coming in a lot cheaper - figure that out. You'd think even for the sake of getting out of bed a half hour later, it's be worth the local guy trying to get our business...
    MY rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

2sounds wrote: »
    Yep been there , back and there again. Im re tendering at the moment and have posted on this several times. Irish companies from timber frame to windows dont seem bothered and are not trying to win business in my experience. Weve agreed on one Irish window manufacturer , high spec , sliding bifold etc who are however very good , competetive and are doing their best to facilitate me in every way possible, ill pm you the details if you wish.

As for trying to buy local , yes nice idea and very patriotic but I say forget it. If youve given irish companies the option and their not interested give your budget to those who want it and will give you a good product with good service at a good price.

goodluck.

could you please pm me with any details you have regarding windows we're nearly at that stage now

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

could you pm me also on window details please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SARAH ANNE

could u pm me details too, also foreign companies that do windows and doors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Tgriff01

Hi first time poster, long time reader. Could you please pm me the window details too please? Getting quotes for windows at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hi

Any chance someone could PM me the details. I'm looking for quotes on Sash Windows and Bi-folding doors.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 siobhmarie

Could you send me on the details to

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

Hi mr edge, could u send details to me too?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 firstbuild

Hi, sorry to be a pain but could you pm those details to me as well. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Waters10

Hi All - Could u pm me details too of best window providers in ireland and import...build location is in Galway area so foreign companies would be great that do windows and doors. ANY HELP APPRECIATED:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 help_me1

Can i get the pm too. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45,937 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I do hope that all you people who are looking for PM recommendations regarding window suppliers will get an OPINION from ONE person only. Hardly enough to make an informed decision on where you are going to spend your hard earned money.

Shop around people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

muffler wrote: »
    I do hope that all you people who are looking for PM recommendations regarding window suppliers will get an OPINION from ONE person only. Hardly enough to make an informed decision on where you are going to spend your hard earned money.

Shop around people.

Quite right.

As the poster being requested for a PM made that post two and a half years ago I will lock this now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement