Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomson UPC Mediabox acting crazy

Options
  • 25-08-2009 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering is anyone else having problems with their Thomson Mediabox DVR (the small-ish black one)? Mine has been acting strangely since it was installed a few weeks ago. The box keeps on 'misinterpreting' inputs on the remote control. For instance occasionally when you input a channel number, e.g 202, the box hangs for a second displays a '5' as if you've hit the 5 button on the remote and then goes to the UPC preview channel on channel 100. It sometimes defaults back to channel 100 when you are changing the volume or using the mini-guide. It's really frustrating and has been going on a for a while now. My hunch is that it's the remote that's the problem as opposed to the box. Anyone have any ideas or ever seen this sort of behaviour from the box or remote?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

I sometimes get this happening if i'm too far from the box, or at an angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Decaydub

I'm getting this too, threads elsewhere suggest it's caused by IR 'leakage' from flat screen TVs, may be something to it, if I try the remote with the TV turned off it seems to respond fine but I get tired of watching TV with the TV off very quickly..... Incidentally I use a Logitech Harmony One with the box and it too has the problem which would indicate it's not the remote itself.

Solutions mooted include putting insulating tape around most of the receiver port on the front of the box to keep out the stray IR signals, haven't tried it yet myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Put fresh batteries in the remote. If the ir on the remote isnt getting enough power it will ether not send the full command like channel numbers (three digits) and if you only enter say 2 numbers the box will default to channel 100 or if the batt is low it will slightly shift the freq of the ir signal meanging the box may pick it but under a slightly diff band which would more than likely be another model of tv or stb under the same make which will use diff commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

I too am having similar issues with my box, and i have tried new batteries and the problem presists. One thing i've noticed is that it takes about a half hour after turning it on before i can use the remote from the couch, otherwise i have to go up close to the box. really annoying problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Decaydub wrote: »
    Solutions mooted include putting insulating masking tape around most of the receiver port on the front of the box to keep out the stray IR signals, haven't tried it yet myself though.

Try it. You might just find it does work. IR sensor(on the black Thomson box) is just above and left of the card slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Same issue here.
    Worked flawlessly with old CRT TV but as described above is flaky with new LCD TV.
    Turn off TV and it works fine, turn TV on and it's impossible to change channel.
    Does anyone have any more info on this issue or fixes ? I'll try the masking tape but need some guidance on where exactly to place it.
    Will moving the UPC box help ? (not an ideal solution).

Is the fault with the TV or the UPC box ? I would have assumed that all manufacturers would have to conform to standards to avoid this kind of thing.

Any help greatly appreciated as it's driving me mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

a small piece of masking tape will work a treat

So I've heard Bazzy, thanks. Where to apply it is the question.

Red dot shows where to put tape. In some cases you may need to put a second or third piece over the same spot for it to work.
    Under a bright light or torch,aim it towards that part of the front housing and you'll just make out the outline of a hole and the diode you need to cover. If that's not possible just go by the diagram,you'll be close enough I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

@the tax man ... Do you know where the corresponding place is on the silver Thomson DVR? I've had a look with a torch, but can't see anywhere obvious.

• Advertisement

Not too sure without having a look at my own. Leave that one with me and I'll check it out.

Tax man, thanks for the nice diagram :)

I'll let you know how I get on.

That seems to have worked, thanks again.

Now another question, why does it work ? If the issue is caused by IR overspill I understand masking off the sensor but why doesn't this stop the remote working also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

The signal can sometimes bounce off the screen or the reciever can pick up the signal as well.

Some samsung tv's the energy saving function can block it too strange but true

@Alun The sensor is just to the right of the telephone symbol by about 5/6mm.
    You can just make out a square opening under the housing but nothing in it. The sensor is actually covered over by a flat piece of clear plastic. Had a butchers at the inside of one today.

@Alun The sensor is just to the right of the telephone symbol by about 5/6mm.
    You can just make out a square opening under the housing but nothing in it. The sensor is actually covered over by a flat piece of clear plastic. Had a butchers at the inside of one today.
    Great, thanks! Does it matter what you use to cover the area with? Masking tape will look a bit silly, but I've got some black insulating tape that might not stand out so much.

EDIT: Just tried the black insulating tape and it stops working altogether!

EDIT 2: Masking tape works, in as much as the remote still works, but it looks a bit daft :D. Only time will tell if it cures the mysterious phantom '5' problem. I'll keep you posted!

Maybe a bit of colouring in with a black marker. I can't see tape being needed on any silver parts.Trim it to shape,colour it and see how it goes.

edit:Yeah insulating tape not good.:D

Maybe a bit of colouring in with a black marker.
    Yes, that appears to work.

UPDATE: Although the remote still works with the tape stuck over the IR receiver, it still regularly misses key presses and interprets them as a '5', thus switching to that annoying git on the Info channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I have the same issue but it doesn't keep thinking I'm hitting the '5' button.
    When I'm changing the volume of moving up or down channels it can freeze and even flick to that annoying bald dude talking about the UPC services.
    He must be one of the most hated people in houses with the Thomson boxes!

Called up the customer care line and complained - the lady wanted to do a box reset, i said this problem has been happening since I got the box and that I'm not the only person with the problem.
    Engineer coming in a week or so - maybe I can get the box swapped out with another make of box. Someone mentioned that they have a Cisco box that doesn't have these issues and just works. Any truth in that?

• Advertisement

kerbdog wrote: »
    Someone mentioned that they have a Cisco box that doesn't have these issues and just works. Any truth in that?

Cisco do the HD stb. Only supplied to those with a HD subscription though.

Arse - sure will see what the Eng person has got to say anywho

Cisco do the HD stb. Only supplied to those with a HD subscription though.

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I eventually got my crappy Humax 'digital+' box replaced with a Cisco HD box even though I don't have a HD sub :) the service isn't even available in my area due to us on an MMDS/aerial based system.

Good times anywho...only took 5~6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

kerbdog wrote: »
    I have the same issue but it doesn't keep thinking I'm hitting the '5' button.
    When I'm changing the volume of moving up or down channels it can freeze and even flick to that annoying bald dude talking about the UPC services.
    He must be one of the most hated people in houses with the Thomson boxes!

Called up the customer care line and complained - the lady wanted to do a box reset, i said this problem has been happening since I got the box and that I'm not the only person with the problem.
    Engineer coming in a week or so - maybe I can get the box swapped out with another make of box. Someone mentioned that they have a Cisco box that doesn't have these issues and just works. Any truth in that?

Nope I have the same issues with the Cisco HD box. Where's the IR receiver on that?

Thanks,

E71

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Just an update. I bought a one for all remote and programmed it for the TV and UPC HD box. Works a treat. Much better than the original UPC remote and none of the issues I was having with the remote and box.
    Hope that's of help.

E71

Advertisement