Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

23-08-2009, 13:15   #1
chrisbonnie

pain on the back, outside of the knee

any ideas?

im guessing either cleats, or saddle height too low, im not sure

its my first road bike, everything goes grand until about 10km into a cycle, then it starts, mainly my left leg, im left footed, so id imagine thats because im pushing harder with my left, hence the pain

any ideas lads?

dont want to run back down to the bike shop if its something simple i can do myself

cheers in advance
Advertisement
23-08-2009, 16:44   #2
AstraMonti

Send a message via MSN to AstraMonti
If the pain is behind the knee you should lower the saddle and if there is pain at the external, turn the cleat inwards. These are just guidelines and by no means scientific answer. Also do some excersises on the hips.
23-08-2009, 19:47   #3
chrisbonnie

its technically not behind the knee, more on the outside of it, but on the back of the leg

is it just over use, seeing as i havent really used them muscles in a long time?

the only thing that has me thinking its not, is the other lad i go cycling with, is way unfitter than me, and he`s bloody fine, ok, a few mins behind me on the way to blessington, but in grand nick the following day, while im wrecked
23-08-2009, 20:01   #4
ednwireland

Mod: Cycling
ive done the same, new bike had saddle 1/4 inch too high (also changed cleats had some 4.5 degree float lying around - lazy i know, have always used 9 degree without a problem so will be getting 9 degree ones again hopefully sort it out).
23-08-2009, 22:38   #5
Ryaner

If you are planning on staying with cycling, I can't recommend going to IrishFit enough. They'll be able to sort out the pain quickly enough.

I know I was having knee pain and it turned out my left leg was a fair bit shorter than my right leg which was playing a big part. Sorted it by wedges and a movement in saddle height.
Advertisement
23-08-2009, 23:13   #6
fenris
Like tears in the rain.

+1 on Irishfit!
Made a big difference to me, I was working off of rules of thumb and adjustment by anecdote - "toes towards the pain" etc. now I know why I was getting pain and what to do to get rid of it. What was also very useful was that he pointed out certain pains that had nothing to do with cycling and that no amount of adjustment of cleats of saddle height/ position changes would fix, which means that I stopped causing real cycling related pain by trying to adjust for other issues. e.g. adjusting to try and get rid of food pain that was caused by strained muscled in my foot (not cycling related) was causing knee pain!

Get setup properly first with irishfit, then at least you will know what it feels like and you will have a baseline for future changes, otherwise you will end up chasing shadows and tweaking to the edge of insanity!

It also takes away any internal excuse about teh bike not being set up right, after that is is all the body and not the bike!
23-08-2009, 23:45   #7
chrisbonnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryaner View Post
If you are planning on staying with cycling, I can't recommend going to IrishFit enough. They'll be able to sort out the pain quickly enough.

I know I was having knee pain and it turned out my left leg was a fair bit shorter than my right leg which was playing a big part. Sorted it by wedges and a movement in saddle height.
would it have to be a weekday, or is it possible to get it done on a saturday?
24-08-2009, 00:23   #8
Stokolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbonnie View Post
would it have to be a weekday, or is it possible to get it done on a saturday?
On their contact us page

Quote:
Shop Open 7 days a week!
Opening Hours:
Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri: 9am - 6pm
Thurs: 9am - 7pm
Sat: 10am - 6pm
Sun: 1pm - 5pm
24-08-2009, 07:49   #9
uberwolf

if you're suffering pain, do not take the advice of well meaning boardsies, but go to someone professional and accountable.
(3) thanks from:
Thread Closed