Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interested in starting a business - Mini Company

Options
  • 21-08-2009 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm Artur Foden, I will be attending St Laurences College (Secondary School) in Loughlinstown, Dublin.

Im looking into starting a web based mini company, with plans to expand in future. I am looking for someone to be a business partner to exchange ideas with, and then help set up the website and get it going, depending on what sort of company we choose to build. Please email me or send a private message.

I am also looking for advice and anything you can tell me, so please reply or send me an email to: arturf(at)eircom.net

Once you have contacted me I will email you an agenda of things we need to discuss.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to all emails and feedback

Artur

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Do you need my credit card details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Artur Foden

Do you need my credit card details?

No, I'm actually quite serious... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Are you on smack?

Im looking into starting a web based mini company, with plans to expand in future.

Why a web based company ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

My initial response when reading your original post was spam. I was waiting for you to tell me about ciallis or your long lost cousins will. I'm still skeptical but as you sent me a pm i guess there's half a chance you're genuine but just a bit lost.

I still remain skeptical though.

So right now you have no business plan or ideas beyond "a mini web based company" and you're looking for a partner. Basically you're looking to start a business with someone but want then to help you decide what sort of business you want to setup. Is that right?

What's your motivation for this? Long term profit? Short term profit? Learning experience?

What resources do you have in terms of finance, experience, skills?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭blue4ever

from another post he left elsewhere - Art is 16.

I have trouble employing minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Hello,

My name is GUbu Ngubu. Bleessings from God holy light. My wife Blessedvjj reecently passed away in her role as head banker in NIGAZ (A joint venture bewteen Nigeria Petroleum Company and GAZPROM). While head of NIGAZ she received a sum of 1m Nigerian Dollars (566 pounds sterling) as a "renumeration" package. I am willing to invest these monies in your mini-company as you see fit. If this amazing offer interests you pleasure email me on macsmacs@yahoo.ng or call on 1-800-SURETHING for my fullest attentions.

May God bless you and yourf family
    Gubu Ngubu
    Lagos, Nigeria

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

Give the lad a break (although not your credit card details maybe) - if he's only 16 and has posted up the name of his school he's probably just looking for a start.

Artur - there's a programme called the Student Enterprise Scheme (or some name very similar to that) - which operates in a good few schools, basically you run a business for the school year and then enter the 'details' of the business for competition purposes with other schools.

Participation in something like that might give you the chance to develop an idea, meet a mentor, etc... etc...

Don't be put off by the reaction - its quite natural given you have no history of posting here, but reading the threads and asking questions might help you too.

Hammertime wrote: »
    Are you on smack?

Hammer when did you start drinking the cynical juice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the supportive responses,
    What's your motivation for this? Long term profit? Short term profit? Learning experience?

Ok, motivation, partially boredom and interest to start something worthwhile.
    As well as learning experience. As stated I'm 16 so profit is only about 50% of it, but a key aspect. But primary point is to educate myself, and anyone else who is helping me.
    Why a web based company ?

A web based company for a few reasons.
    1) I'm no Bill Gates but I can use a computer and am teaching myself basic (Very Basic - Fortran, as well as joomla) programming skills.
    2) The business will be entirely based online - so in many ways might be cheaper. For example if I wanted to start a bakery, then I would need to purchase a building and have physical equipment. Something which I don't have access to.

Lplated,

Thanks for that info, I will find out of the scheme operates at my school.
    If it does that that may be the way forward.

I would like to see more responses, and keep this an open topic. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I want to hear from you.

Thanks,
    Artur

Ok I got a couple of messages from people.

I'm going to try and make things easier by posting a basic plan for a business (Which can/will be changed as things progress)

What I have on my mind is a (legal) music/video/game download site. Similiar to iTunes, or the 3v.ie music store. Where a customer will pay (Possibly to begin with through something like PayPal) and then will be emailed the link to download. They can login to the site to download the songs whenever they choose, providing that it is downloaded to the same PC. Another possible solution would be that they can only download it 6 times and then would need to reactivate their account.

(As I mentioned in one of my PM's is that I want to do something which I am interested in, such as music.)

So if anyone has any experience with web design, or a website with a familiar concept as this then please get in touch.

That is just one plan I've given as an example, I have more so I might post them up after some feedback on this one.

Thanks,
    Artur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fiscalstudent

If your thinking of learning a coding language I think you should perhaps start with html. Very easy to learn and you will get the basics of webpage design.

After that I'd recommend learning PHP

best o luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

OP dont give to much away.

btw its great that your only 16 and so focused.

I was going to wish you the best of luck with whatever you do, but somehow I dont think you'll need it.

I'm going to try and make things easier by posting a basic plan for a business (Which can/will be changed as things progress)

What I have on my mind is a (legal) music/video/game download site. Similiar to iTunes, or the 3v.ie music store. Where a customer will pay (Possibly to begin with through something like PayPal) and then will be emailed the link to download. They can login to the site to download the songs whenever they choose, providing that it is downloaded to the same PC. Another possible solution would be that they can only download it 6 times and then would need to reactivate their account.

(As I mentioned in one of my PM's is that I want to do something which I am interested in, such as music.)

So if anyone has any experience with web design, or a website with a familiar concept as this then please get in touch.

That is just one plan I've given as an example, I have more so I might post them up after some feedback on this one.

Thanks,
    Artur

This is a bigger concept that you think. This isn't just a website business. You'd need a warehouse full of computers and servers to do what you want this to do.

You need to find out about distribution rights for such an idea and how much licenses are going to cost. I doubt you'll be able to do it unless you prove to the companies that you've spent x amount on server security etc.

You'd probably get better responses in the Games section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Totally right TheEnt. But he'll learn all this when he goes to do a bizplan.

It might shock him to realise that it takes more than a good idea to make a business work.

Then he'll realize that he needs to do a bit more homework. But I get the impression that this kid likes doing his homework.

If I had a few good business ideas, like the OP says he has, I would submit my least favourite for public viewing.

Yes, he's out of his league with this one, but what about the Ace that he's keeping to himself?

This kid needs mentoring and incouragement.

I need mentoring also :) and I'm 24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fiscalstudent

As TheEntrepreneur said what you've suggested is just not going to work for an abundance of reasons. You want to start with something waaay simpler. If I was you I'd look at importing something and then selling it in school, then if thats a success perhaps set up a website and sell to other students around Ireland.

You should focus on what you know. i.e a product for someone in 14-18 year old category.

You say your interested in music, how about this...

While rock and indie have made a huge comeback in recent years I imagine theres still a lot of Irish teenagers listening to rap hip hop. And while they can downlaod most of what they want either from bittorrent, itunes or simply buy it in HMV theres a niche market for mixtapes.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with hip hop but mixtapes are essentially unofficial albums which often sample current popular songs. They allow huge opportunity for creativity and are often how hip hop artists end up getting signed eg. Lil Wayne and Kid Cudi are 2 recent examples.

Naturally as they are unofficial they are much harder to get then regular cd's. My suggestion is you buy some of these burn the discs on your computer and sell them in school, if this is succcesful you could set up a website and sell them all round Ireland.

OP,

I think you'd enjoy reading stuff like The Long Tail and First, Best or Different - it'll train your brain to focus and narrow it down which is basically why I love business plans so much, gives you clarity and focus and evolves with you.

Re: The long tail, it does work perfectly in places like Shanghai, New York, Sydney - it's harder to do it in Ireland because we are so bloody small. But don't let that put you off, definitely has pluses. (I'll be saying it's a negative if my venture fails haha but regardless, it definitely has its pluses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Thanks,
    Artur

Do you know how big itunes is? They got famous from the ipod! Free itunes software came with the ipod.
    Where a customer will pay (Possibly to begin with through something like PayPal) and then will be emailed the link to download.

Emailed a link to download? Won't itunes be more convenient when it will just download straight away?
    They can login to the site to download the songs whenever they choose, providing that it is downloaded to the same PC. Another possible solution would be that they can only download it 6 times

Itunes gives you 5 licenses to download on up to 5 PCs on your account. You say only one.

The legal side will also be a tough one, the artist also has to get a cut, how this is done I don't know.

something like PayPal

With PayPal you have to sign in and complete the purchase and then get re-directed to your site. To me thats a bit of hassle. I would prefer an accounting system where you take the money out of my card.

I'm afraid I don't see anything unique that will make you stand out from your competitors. Thats unless you haven't mentioned it on here. Itunes has a fantastic population if you got a fraction you would do very well.

Your idea is a very complicated one that would take allot of time, the website would have to be constantly updated with new music of you would loose customers. Take into account what I have said and think about it, if you do go ahead with such a project good luck and I hope you succeed with it!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response!

FiscalStudent,
    Thats good advice, I will concentrate on html for now and see how it goes from there.

Suey71,
    Thanks for the encouraging comment. I really appreciate that :)

I'm interested in this idea of mixtapes FiscalStudent. It would probably be easier than starting up an iTunes style site. As mentioned I'd need a warehouse and it's probably a little overwhelming to start with.

Perhaps my plan will be more focused on selling things locally, say, around Wicklow Town (Where I live) and/or around the school and build things up.

Somebody mentioned that I would have more luck selling games. This is certainly something which I will look into rather then music. If anything, focusing on music is probably stupid for a variety of reasons. Including it's a fierce competition and the rights are probably harder to get. I imagine alot wouldn't trust a website selling music anyway, thanks to torrent sites such as Piratebay.

---

So what I have in my mind is to start acquiring rights to (For example) Battlefield. The interested customer could then purchase the game through a website (Possibly through PayPal - Padocon,that comment about PayPal is duly noted) and then I would ship the product off to their address.

I see several advantages to this then my iTunes scheme:

1)Server hardware is kept to a minimum. Only the website itself is based online. The rest is through the post.

2)Lack of competition in Wicklow Town for a good Video Game shop. The best is Xtravision. Which has a poor selection of games.

3)As it is based locally, shipping costs are kept to a minimum, and if I deliver them myself then theres no extra charges for post and packaging.

4)Website layout is kept to a minimum, theoretically the entire transaction could be done through email. I could also do the entire thing through word of mouth or in School.

---
    Take into account what I have said and think about it, if you do go ahead with such a project good luck and I hope you succeed with it!

Thank you! I have read your post and find it informative, a lot of info to think about. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm personally thinking that I bit off more than I chew with the music download site. It's probably a market which I'm not equipped or prepared for.

I'm liking the plan of distributing mix tapes and/or games better though. So anymore feedback on those two would be excellent.

Thanks all of you for posting!

Artur

EDIT: PS If anyone has any information for video game distributors please pass it on. Thank you

So what I have in my mind is to start acquiring rights to (For example) Battlefield. The interested customer could then purchase the game through a website (Possibly through PayPal - Padocon,that comment about PayPal is duly noted) and then I would ship the product off to their address.

I see several advantages to this then my iTunes scheme:

1)Server hardware is kept to a minimum. Only the website itself is based online. The rest is through the post.

2)Lack of competition in Wicklow Town for a good Video Game shop. The best is Xtravision. Which has a poor selection of games.

3)As it is based locally, shipping costs are kept to a minimum, and if I deliver them myself then theres no extra charges for post and packaging.

4)Website layout is kept to a minimum, theoretically the entire transaction could be done through email. I could also do the entire thing through word of mouth or in School.

People are not going to go to a website to buy a game from you when there is already more than enough places to buy video games online. Play.com offer free delivery and have way more economies of scale than you could ever dream of.

The entire transaction couldn't be done via email. It's just not practical or safe for consumers.

A website business is not an easy way out. You still need to put as much work (finance and planning and time etc etc etc) into an online business as an offline business. Would you buy a game from a shop that had broken windows, or posters hanging off the walls ? Same for a site. You have 5 seconds to make an impression to your user.

I suggest you think and focus and slow down. And when you get some clarity and direction, start writing a business plan (get a template online). Where are you getting the finance ?

Somebody mentioned that I would have more luck selling games. This is certainly something which I will look into rather then music. If anything, focusing on music is probably stupid for a variety of reasons. Including it's a fierce competition and the rights are probably harder to get. I imagine alot wouldn't trust a website selling music anyway, thanks to torrent sites such as Piratebay.

That's not true. It's because there are so many other sites out there selling music at prices you can't match i.e. Amazon and Play.com etc. Ever. Plus, torrent sites include torrents of everything not just music.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Fair play to you Artur, you can never start in business too young. To be honest, I don't know how your business will work- but in the long term I think you'll do great.

Work hard

Persevere

I hope there's somebody in this forum in the wicklow area that could give you business mentoring. Lots of good links, books etc stickied in this forum. You don't need to spend lots of money on them, a lot of them can probably be got in by your local library if they don't have them already.

It's because there are so many other sites out there selling music at prices you can't match i.e. Amazon and Play.com etc. Ever. Plus, torrent sites include torrents of everything not just music.
    People are not going to go to a website to buy a game from you when there is already more than enough places to buy video games online.

Yes I agree, it will be difficult to compete with alot of the larger sites operating in Ireland. However, I will give this as an example, when I was looking to buy Call of Duty 5 WAW, the first place I would look would be Amazon, who offer a very good service, however recently for some reason they stopped shipping electronic items (Including computer games) to Ireland. I searched a few websites around, most of which we're trying to sell it to me at about €40-50. Which is alot of money to fork out. In the end I could get it on ebay for 35 ish. Which isn't a huge difference but it was worth it.

Alot of games in Ireland cost a fortune to purchase in the shops. And buying online, at a decent price, is scarce. So perhaps there is a possibility of getting a gap in the market (Even just locally) to sell games. Even if it is just among friends.

Also, there is one more gap in the market. There are practically no Flight Simulation shops in Ireland. Most of the products I've purchased have been either through ebay, amazon or from shops in the UK. So there is a definite possibility that I may be able to start selling some FS software and hardware products.
    The entire transaction couldn't be done via email. It's just not practical or safe for consumers.

Of course! But the truth is that to start out with I will be operating locally. Such as through friends and in schools. I'm not thinking about setting up an Amazon style website straight away. So most of it will probably be more on a personal basis.
    A website business is not an easy way out. You still need to put as much work (finance and planning and time etc etc etc) into an online business as an offline business. Would you buy a game from a shop that had broken windows, or posters hanging off the walls ? Same for a site. You have 5 seconds to make an impression to your user.

A very good point. I have found a couple of websites that can create a template design and host it for at fairly cheap prices. But ultimatly a web site is cheaper (and easier for me) then a warehouse full of servers as somebody mentioned!
    Where are you getting the finance ?

Finance, some of it is personal savings, but I am looking into perhaps getting a small loan (If it is possible these days!) but to be honest I don't have a definite plan on that yet. Just one of the many things I need to research.

Also thanks for those links for the Long tail and the book. I will purchase that. It should be very useful.

Thank you for your responses TheEntrepreneur. I value all the advice people have given me.

Artur

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. It's good to think the way you're thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

best of luck kid,
    I was the same way when I was 16 all idea's and no funds.
    I have dabbled with some small business idea's but nothing solid yet as I was brought up with the mantra a government job is for life so was dissuaded from business activities.

Just keep the chin up and try and plan slowly..
    Try simple idea's, a 19 year I know is making €700 every saturday from a very simple idea, kicked myself when I heard it, it's a very basic idea with little hassle.

So just thing however silly it seems give it a lash.

Thanks for the response!

As The Entrepreneur was saying, the website will be your shop so it will have to look pretty great! If I were you I would start by messing with web & scrips, thats what I'm doing. That way you can learn lots. How to upload sites to the server and all.
    People are not going to go to a website to buy a game from you when there is already more than enough places to buy video games online. Play.com offer free delivery and have way more economies of scale than you could ever dream of.

What about a game download site, I know nothing about games, well I know they don't make most for Mac but thats about it. I also know that when ever I buy something off amazon the wait kills me. I have never heard of an Irish game download site thats legit. Now of course I'm not your target market.

+1
    You have 5 seconds to make an impression to your user.

Or less. Also a if your targeting the Irish market a .ie domain really helps!

If you are passionate about gaming then a gaming site is for you. There is no rush though. Keep it in your mind, explore & find something unique you can bring to the market.
    Again that idea you chose is a very big one. I don't want to shoot down your ideas, but why not start out with something smaller. You seem to be starting off with very big ideas & creations.

Would you choose a download game site or
    A C.D. delivery site?

As The Entrepreneur was saying, the website will be your shop so it will have to look pretty great! If I were you I would start by messing with web & scrips, thats what I'm doing. That way you can learn lots. How to upload sites to the server and all.

Yeh thanks, I will try my best to make the website look great and efficient.
    What about a game download site, I know nothing about games, well I know they don't make most for Mac but thats about it. I also know that when ever I buy something off amazon the wait kills me. I have never heard of an Irish game download site thats legit. Now of course I'm not your target market.

Although I like the idea of a game or music download site, it is probably more than I could manage. As stated I would need to buy alot in hardware and security. But it is a definite possibility for the future.
    Or less. Also a if your targeting the Irish market a .ie domain really helps!

Yes I like the idea of a .ie domain. Makes it seem a bit friendlier then .com or .net.
    Would you choose a download game site or
    A C.D. delivery site?

To begin with it will be a delivery site, most likely PC Games. But it could be anything. If that is successful than it will expand to perhaps a download site.

I will probably begin by just trying to get some people around the town interested, and try and get some trading among people I know. Hopefully if I make enough from that I will advertise and expand (Over time) to a larger customer base. And just hope it rolls from there.

The major things I need to look into at the moment are the legal formalities and trying to get some distributors who can supply me. If I can get that far then thats a step forward. I might also start by putting out a few quizzes and polls to find out who potential customers are and how much they are willing to pay for products etc.

I also found this handy website: http://www.startingabusinessinireland.com/welcome.htm

Mike,

Thank you for the comment, its encouraging and I'm fascinated by this 19 year olds scheme. I'm jealous already! I'm happy for him anyway

Random Stranger,

Thanks alot thats appreciated. I might put up a few adds in the local paper or in the Supervalu notice board. See if anyone wants to give me a hand, although the guys here are doing a great job

Thanks for the responses I want to hear more if you have any.

Artur

• Advertisement

Know any game suppliers. If you can sell games cheaper than Xtra Vision with a bit of marketing ya can make $$$. Start off local then see how it goes, if it goes well then expand! If it don't work then try something else. Its web based so there is very little to loose!

Advertisement