Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite non-dairy chocolate? Pics please!

Options
  • 17-08-2009 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd start a thread about our favourite non-dairy chocolates.
    Butler's Almond and Orange Dark Chocolate is mine.
    178_Butlers1.jpg
    I'm not too bothered about the whole issue with traces of milk in most Dark Chocolate Brands. Most companies clean out the equipment thoroughly before making the dark choc. Mmmmmmm

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

133302-DivineChocolate.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Ha, was thinking of starting a thread just like this! I've been investigating....

3834762716_1d34c3d18b_m.jpg

This one was pretty wierd, cheaper than the Organica kind, but wierder, I think it's the rice flour or something.

3833971325_dcc80794de_m.jpg

This one was pretty nice! Think the orange disguised the wierdness :)

I think Divine is the best though, and Green and Blacks Maya Gold is amazing. I think some people have problems with them because of their affiliation with cadbury though...

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

excellence_chili_prod.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I agree with you about:
    plamil%20organic%20chocolate%20orange.jpg
    YUM! I find it's quite a soft chocolate compared to Divine or Bulters or whatnot.

koth: I'm sorry but Lindt Chilli has butterfat! Not dairy-free at all. I knew there was a reason I hadn't tried it... http://www.worldwidechocolate.com/shop_lindt_129.html

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I agree with you about:
    orange.jpg
    YUM! I find it's quite a soft chocolate compared to Divine or Bulters or whatnot.

koth: I'm sorry but Lindt Chilli has butterfat! Not dairy-free at all. I knew there was a reason I hadn't tried it... http://www.worldwidechocolate.com/shop_lindt_129.html

Apologies. For some reason I thought it was dairy-free. Learn something new every day:)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

We all curse butterfat here :D (well, I do at least!) and skimmed milk powder; they appear in so many things!!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

dairyFree1.jpg

I love tangerine one above - have only found in in the UK though but they do have the same brand in Tesco Jervis. They sell the buttons and the rice crack bar - also above.

DF%20Buttons2.jpg

flikflak wrote: »
    dairyFree1.jpg

I love tangerine one above - have only found in in the UK though but they do have the same brand in Tesco Jervis.

You can get that tangerine bar in The Health Store, large Tescos and probably other health food stores. I am also a fan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Oh good stuff - I didnt see it in Tesco but maybe they had sold out.

flikflak wrote: »

DF%20Buttons2.jpg

I find these strange, like there's a very low percentage of cocoa/ cocoa butter in them... and such a small bag! I do not believe in portion control when chocolate is involved :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

had a lovely one when we were out for drinks the last time, one of tars friends had it, it had that poppy stuff in it (the kind that pops in ur mouth not the flower :) )

she said she got it in tesco but iv been looking and havnt seen it :(

anyone that was there remember???

might be that Free one, hmm?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I find these strange, like there's a very low percentage of cocoa/ cocoa butter in them... and such a small bag! I do not believe in portion control when chocolate is involved :pac:
    I've got a packet of those stored away with some 85% dark choc incase i need a choc fix:P

maameeo wrote: »
    had a lovely one when we were out for drinks the last time, one of tars friends had it, it had that poppy stuff in it (the kind that pops in ur mouth not the flower :) )

she said she got it in tesco but iv been looking and havnt seen it :(

anyone that was there remember???

might be that Free one, hmm?

It was the Dairyfree rice crackle one, and it was indeed nyomy. :)

moser-roth.jpg

I have just discovered this is delicious too. €1.69 from Aldi. I like Aldi :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Yeah, the Dark Choc Moser-Roth range are good. The Chilli one is quite warming & the 85% plain is creamier and a lot less bitter than I was expecting but the Orange & Almond is the clear winner.

Yeah it's a lot more orange-y than your average orange chocolate. There's a mint one too which I look forward to trying tomorrow :)

Yeah it's a lot more orange-y than your average orange chocolate. There's a mint one too which I look forward to trying tomorrow :)
    Ah yes, was just going to edit that into my last post. mmmmmm....nommy

Just threw down a couple of badass Vit C tabs (hey, it's Friday night), to justify the dark chocolate pigout as an iron injection...heheh

lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

moser-roth.jpg

I have just discovered this is delicious too. €1.69 from Aldi. I like Aldi :)
    May contain traces of milk

monellia wrote: »
    May contain traces of milk

Tis true, but unless you're lactose intolerant it's all good :)
    Or it just depends on your stance I suppose.
    Coincidentally eating the mint one now, fairly delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Northsider09

Has anyone tried Organica Raisin & Nut? I am contemplating ordering some from the UK but want to get a few opinions before I do...

I'm only new to the dairy-free diet and so far I've tried:

Organica Golden Coconut & Dark Chocolate (Nourish & Blazing Salads)
    Reminds me of Bounty Dark Chocolate Bars
    Celtic Dairy Free Fine Dark Chocolate (Holland & Barrett & Tesco)
    Great for cooking with too, mmm rice krispie cakes :)
    Booja Booja Truffles (Nourish Health Food Shop, Wicklow St, Dublin)
    The hazelnut one are pure luxury... bit too much cocoa on the outside though :p
    Whizzer Chocolate Beans (Nourish & Holland & Barrett)
    Similar to Smarties. Nice change from the usual but the coating on these is kind of hard.
    Butlers Orange & Almond
    Bit too sweet for my liking and I had high hopes for this given the number of thumbs up that it's getting on this thread :(
    Fry's Peppermint Cream
    Again it's a bit sweet for me :(
    Dairy Free Buttons
    I found these a little bit yukky and couldn't finish the miniscule amount in the bag :( BTW these are much cheaper in Tesco than anywhere else!

Please please identify more dairy free chocolate people! I am a chocaholic and soooooo miss my regular fixes; there is only so much of the above that a girl can handle :D

OOOH I almost forgot to mention - I bought the Swedish Glace "Choc Ices" (Nourish on Wicklow St) - DIVINE (even if they are a bit on the small side) :D

Hope this has been of help to someone:confused:

Mmmm what a delicious post you have written! :D

I'm trying to think of any more chocolates to suggest, off the top of my head....
    I've ordered these online from the vegan store and am awaiting their arrival.
    Jokerz-tn.jpg
    You could try... Divine chocolate covered brazil nuts available in Fairtrade Oxfam stores.
    604.jpg
    And how about Wilde Irish Chocolate? Dark Chocolate, vanilla and cherry is my current fav. Though it may be too sweet for you if you don't love the Butlers Orange and Almond.
    FTO%20Cherry%20Bar.jpg
    Maybe Wilde Irish will have another chocolate flavour to your liking?
    FTO%20Dark%20Bar.jpgFTO%20Chilli%20Bar.jpg
    And have you tried the Celtic chocolates selection box? Delicious, but pricey. There were plenty around christmas time, but haven't seen any recently. Can't find a pic, but I described them back here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055439335

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Peppermint Ritter Sport

6a00d834518c2069e201156f0b3af7970c-pi

I think they might contain butterfat now...its been awhile since I had them so double check if your'e going to buy!

Sweet Rasmus - what are the sweets in the top pic of your last post? They look like bits of "Crunchie" bars - yum!!!:D:D:D

Any chance of posting the link to the vegan shop you speak of? I don't mind ordering online as I can only seem to find dairy free chocolate (and other items) in health food shops but the selection is fairly poor. Half thinking of hitting NAMA for a loan/ unwanted property and opening my own little dairy-free chocolate shop :D

I've tried the Celtic box of choccies but keep them for "special occassions" - otherwise I'd have nothing to look forward to now that I can no longer have a few reliable Ferreros :D:rolleyes:

Where can I find Wilde's chocolate? That cherry and vanilla one will have me running about town tomorrow in search of it :)

I'm new to this and don't know how to add pics to my posts so you'll have to forgive me :( (Oh I can't spell at the best of times :))

Today's finds in the dairy free treat world (non chocolate though):
    Alpro Caramel Flavour dessert - was a bit dubious about this but it went down a treat!
    Almond Fruit Pies - Blazing Salads, Drury St (also stocked in other eateries, including the Art of Eating, Dun Laoghaire!). They have even posted the recipe on the net if you fancy making your own...

They are indeed meant to be crunchies :)

http://www.veganstore.co.uk/ And I warn you that the cost of shipping to Ireland will nearly equal your order cost. But they let you know how much the shipping will be exactly before they charge you. And it's worth it :D

The Wilde Irish chocolate: I've purchased mine in the Organic Supermarket in Blackrock, Co. Dublin. They have a range of them. I admit that it is over 4 euro a bar for the cherry and vanilla one. But a nice treat. You can also get them online. http://www.organicsupermarket.ie/shop/products/index.php?pageno=4&category=7 http://www.wildeirishchocolates.com/ I've seen the plain dark chocolate one in my local health food store (the country cellar, dun laoghaire) before, so they are around.

mmmmm I've recently been getting the dark chocolate alpro soya dessert for snacks :)

oh, to post a pic.... right click on the image -> copy image location. Then on boards write :D" alt="IMG} but with square brackets instead of curley ones. Give it a shot :D" />

Thanks for the tips Sweet (both on the use of this forum and and the goodies):D

Oh I think this weeks "treat money" will be going into the coffers of Vegan Store!!! Especially when they get the "Mars Bars" (I had a real Mars at the weekend and jaysus did I feel rough after it, but it felt worth it at the time):o

he he he! yes, I bought those Mars bars :) And the Snickers ones. Such a brilliant company! Mmmm caramel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Nunubird

I'm a huge fan of the vegan store too. I ordered the 'crunchie' about 2 weeks ago but I'm still waiting (not so patiently!). I love their marshmallows mmmmmmmm.

I only discovered that Fry's peppermint creams were vegan from reading this thread! Yay!! I love them.

Where can I find Wilde's chocolate? That cherry and vanilla one will have me running about town tomorrow in search of it :)

I've seen all 3 Wilde chocs above (as well as the intriguing Montezuma geranium and something else dark choc bar - dark choc with a hint of Turkish Delight) in the Dublin Food Co-Op, in Newmarket, http://www.dublinfood.coop/html/about_find.html but it's only open Thurs 12-8, Sat 9-5 and 3 outta 4 Sundays now (11 - 5). They also sell raw choc bars but your best bet is to go on the Sat as a Saturday stallholder has the exotic tropical stuff, like cocoa butter, lervia, macca, etc. This Sat there'll be some special events, due to it being National Organic Week, an' all.

Thanks for the other tips, btw

• Advertisement

Lovely stuff Thoushaltnot!

I'll have to get my backside into gear and go and visit the Co-op - have been putting off going due to laziness, now I've a BIG reason to go :D:D:D

No sweets or treats for me tonight, I'm all outta my stash :( Have the ingredients to make my lovely lemon biscuits but laziness has gotten the better of me (yet again):)

Me feels a shopping trip at lunchtime tomorrow is in order, but don't tell the boss :D:D:D

Advertisement