Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPG?

Options
  • 17-08-2009 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

what MPG are you getting from your camper... I'm particularly interested in seeing the Ducato/Boxer based ones

make model engine I guess are the important ones..

Fiat Ducato Hymer 644 6 berth 2.5tdi engine

Doing about 33 mpg overall it seems...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macpete

I have a joint 154 lowprofile, just over the magic weight 3 ton!!!!
    It is the fiat 2.8jdt engine, getting between 24 to 30 mpg depending on how you drive, i have a sat dish mounted on the roof so a bit of drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

What is this MPG of which you speak ?

I ran a few tests on my last few drives, but I don't have the figures to hand. I think last time I checked, I got 500km out of 50l of diesel. At least I think that was what I got. I remember thinking it rounded off to more or less 10km/l - since I have a 5l spare tank I know I can get about 50km on it if I ever run dry.

The engine is a 2.5l td in an old (93) Ducato, and the vehicle is something like 2.7t or thereabouts.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

On my '92 Ducato 2.5 straight, I'm getting around 24mpg, with 2 canoes on top, 3 bikes on back and water tanks half full..

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Ducato 2.8Jtd, 7 berth motorhome with a fairly high roof..im getting 25MPG pretty consistently...very slightly less if i drive it hard(as in consistently over 110 on the good roads...which it has no problem doing:pac:)
    I read somewhere that the Ducatos arent great fuel wise with a luton type roof arrangement.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

heres a handy calculator for anyone interested http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Laika integrated motorhome on Iveco Daily chassis, pretty much 3.5 tons full up, 2.4 liter / 95 PS TD ...10-12l/100 km depending on terrain (better than most large offroaders)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Mine is a 03 Ducato with a 2.8Lt and sitting close to 3500kgs.
    Last year on a 2900km trip, mostly motorway (France & Germany) it averaged 24.6mpg or 11.4 l/100km
    This year I added a bike rack with four bikes on the back, also added an engine tuning chip and on a 1900km trip, very little motorway, it averaged 23mpg or 12.18 l/100km

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

I did my original calculations incorrectly it seems....

My 2.5 Ducato did 26 mpg over the last 2 tanks.. some of that was wicklow driving with a lot of hills/mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Sprinter 311 CDi panel van conversion approx. 3 tons fully loaded seems to use between 9 and 9.5 l/100 km which converts to 30..32 MPG and gives a range of 500 miles from full until warning light comes on.

It used about the same even before the conversion which added about 500 kg of mass in the vehicle. Maybe I drove it faster pre conversion or it could be the fuel consumption is directly related to the shape of the van.

Also, the van was remapped a few months back and the consumption seems to have stayed the same. It did't have any effect on the consumption. I guess I should really call it 314 CDi.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

I would be very interested in hearing the MPG for a Mercedes Vario, if anyone has the info ?

Currently top of my wishlist :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I would be very interested in hearing the MPG for a Mercedes Vario, if anyone has the info ?

Currently top of my wishlist :D

20-22mpg neighbour has one, reckons its the worst thing that ever happened to him.

You have the C licence to drive it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

The new(er) crop of Renault Master based Campers are proving to be very dood on fuel , some customers with lo-profiles reporting over the mid 30's . My dad towed a car to Spain , with his own Renault based A-Class , 3 up and all the gear , a heavy trailer and a 1 tonne car , and still returned about 24 mpg .

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭youneverknow

samih wrote: »
    Sprinter 311 CDi panel van conversion approx. 3 tons fully loaded seems to use between 9 and 9.5 l/100 km which converts to 30..32 MPG and gives a range of 500 miles from full until warning light comes on.

It used about the same even before the conversion which added about 500 kg of mass in the vehicle. Maybe I drove it faster pre conversion or it could be the fuel consumption is directly related to the shape of the van.

Also, the van was remapped a few months back and the consumption seems to have stayed the same. It did't have any effect on the consumption. I guess I should really call it 314 CDi.

I have a 310D and it is doing less than 16 mpg :mad: wtf is going wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I have a 310D and it is doing less than 16 mpg :mad: wtf is going wrong

What year? 16mpg sounds about right for the old T1's (Sprinters pre 95)

no its not right i know that much its '97, i was getting 20 last week, which is still bad only 127k mile on the clock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

no its not right i know that much its '97, i was getting 20 last week, which is still bad only 127k mile on the clock

With a 97, I'd expect mid 20's depending on the load in the back. There's a few things that can help increase mpg:
    • Check tyre pressures
    • Replace filters
    • Use a high grade oil
    • Make sure brakes aren't binding

Also, going a little bit slower on the motorway can increase the mpg a good bit. Even going 65mph instead of 70mph I notice the difference in fuel consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

stevire wrote: »
    With a 97, I'd expect mid 20's depending on the load in the back. There's a few things that can help increase mpg:
    • Check tyre pressures
    • Replace filters
    • Use a high grade oil
    • Make sure brakes aren't binding

Also, going a little bit slower on the motorway can increase the mpg a good bit. Even going 65mph instead of 70mph I notice the difference in fuel consumption.

good tips there.

I notice a massive difference in the mpg vs speed. at 100km it is at its best and at 120km you could watch the needle dropping! then having an overhead cab/bed ... ie the aerodynamics of a brick... doesn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I like the way most of us talk about mpg and not Lt/km!

My reason is that the speedo on my '85 camper only reads in mph and I get 30 to 32 mpg.

My car speedo is only in km but I still convert everything back to mpg. Stupid or what:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Ildere

Renault master 2.5 150bhp, Average 10.1 but thats driving it under 100 kph in 6th gear which is usually at or under 2000 revs and full gear on board.

Thats about 28mpg.

At 120 kph that drops to 24 mpg or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭shaysue

Burstner Aviano A Class 4000kg on FIAT Ducato base 3ltr engine I get 26mpg consistently. This is based on both computer readout and on fill up check.

• Advertisement

I'm getting 28 - 34 in a 308D.

2 year old Elddis 140 lo-profile on a Peugeot chassis , 2.2 120 bhp , 34 mpg average over the last 2000 miles .

anyone use dipetane?

anyone use dipetane?

I only heard of people using it in petrols , more for emissions than anything .

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I only heard of people using it in petrols , more for emissions than anything .

I've never heard of Dipitane before.
    I've never bothered about additives before, Redex etc, as I have no problem with emissions, but having just Googled Dipitane, most of the reviews do appear to say that it does reduce fuel consumption in both diesel and petrol engines, so I might just give it a try if I can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Any/Every decent motorfactors should stock it,,

Thanks, I will be looking for it when in town next.

It will still be nice to hear from anyone who has used it.

Any way to use less fuel is good.

Dipetane is actually a trade name , ye know , right? It's not an actual chemical in it's own right. Rather it's an additive made by a Wicklow company AFAIK.

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Dipetane is actually a trade name , ye know , right? It's not an actual chemical in it's own right. Rather it's an additive made by a Wicklow company AFAIK.

Correct, and they have a very comprehensive website. Dipetane.ie

Certainly worth a read.

• Advertisement

Correct, and they have a very comprehensive website. Dipetane.ie

Don't they ? It's a credit to them .

Advertisement