Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Application - Done!

Options
  • 14-08-2009 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭

I just applied to Griffiths College Dublin to do the Diploma in Photography this year, part-time in the evenings!

Woo Hoo!:D:pac:

Met with the lecturer today and she was lovely! Can't wait!

Anyone got any advice???

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

best of luck with it - the only thing i'd say, you'll have a hard job keeping up with the standards that other Athy local, John Minnihan set

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

rameire wrote: »
    Anyone got any advice???

Best of luck, and get snapping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Good buzz, I'm going into third year there. Who'd you meet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

RCNPhotos wrote: »
    Good buzz, I'm going into third year there. Who'd you meet?

sinead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

I just applied to Griffiths College Dublin to do the Diploma in Photography this year, part-time in the evenings!

Woo Hoo!:D:pac:

Anyone got any advice???

Congrats, hope it all works out well, keep us updated about the course. There are lots of us who have considered doing that course but never had the guts to actually take the leap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

sinead
    Yep, was sinead :D
    decsramble wrote: »
    Congrats, hope it all works out well, keep us updated about the course. There are lots of us who have considered doing that course but never had the guts to actually take the leap.

Cheers - will defo keep you guys updated (and prob ask for advice too!)!

Can't wait to get the info on the course content etc. Have no idea bout film pictures/processing, so dead interested in semester 1!:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Yep, was sinead :D

Cheers - will defo keep you guys updated (and prob ask for advice too!)!

Can't wait to get the info on the course content etc. Have no idea bout film pictures/processing, so dead interested in semester 1!:pac:

what info ya want, rcn and i would know whats what.

film/picture processing is fun...but takes a lonnnngggggg time... you'll be glad the module is over and 3 months of no darkroom...you'lll begin to miss it...but you be glad to be outta there once your done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Fair play to you, I was thinking about doing that course part-time too. Best of luck with it, maybe I'll get the chance next year.

Fair play to you, I was thinking about doing that course part-time too. Best of luck with it, maybe I'll get the chance next year.

There's still spaces i think - you should just do it, make the jump! And I'll have one fellow boardies with me! hehee :D

what info ya want, rcn and i would know whats what.
    Ok, here goes (your gonna wish you'd never asked!)...

1. Any do's and don't with the lecturers? Any tips on who knows what best?

2. I have the following gear - do i need anything else???

EOS 300D with 18-55mm, 90-300mm, 50mm f2.5 mac and an Ixus 100is. I have also ordered thru work a canon film SLR. (I work in the industry already so can get the gear, just need to know whats the best to get)

Was thinking bout getting a 50mm f1.8...at a loss for what else i need so far...

3. When's it all gonna be over?!?! (haha, only joking!)

Thanks guys (or gals)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

There's still spaces i think - you should just do it, make the jump! And I'll have one fellow boardies with me! hehee :D

Ah I wish!

Even the part-time timetable looked a bit too hectic for me right now, especially because I don't live very near to Dublin.

Also the €€€'s would be a bit of an issue! :D

Ok, here goes (your gonna wish you'd never asked!)...

1. Any do's and don't with the lecturers? Any tips on who knows what best?

2. I have the following gear - do i need anything else???

EOS 300D with 18-55mm, 90-300mm, 50mm f2.5 mac and an Ixus 100is. I have also ordered thru work a canon film SLR. (I work in the industry already so can get the gear, just need to know whats the best to get)

Was thinking bout getting a 50mm f1.8...at a loss for what else i need so far...

3. When's it all gonna be over?!?! (haha, only joking!)

Thanks guys (or gals)!

1.dont ever arrive late for hector...EVER
    2.thats plenty, theres tons of gear in college you can borrow for free anyway so you dont really need anything.
    3. faster than you think

I'd thought I'd come back to update you on my process...I'm a few weeks into the course now at griffiths now and I am really enjoying it!! Everyone on the course is cool to work with. Made some good mates already.

So far I have processed 3 b&w films (one set of b&w negs turned out purple!!:o), learned about a load of photographers..how to actually understand the settings on the camera and loads more!!

Outside of college, i got a job working part-time in a studio, so have quit my sales job and gone freelance there!!! As well as getting the general setup for a darkroom in my house nearly done.

So major changes have happened since I last updated you!!! hahaha

So if anyone fancies letting me tag along on a few jobs to get some experience...it would be fab! I would even do it for free! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I'd thought I'd come back to update you on my process...I'm a few weeks into the course now at griffiths now and I am really enjoying it!! Everyone on the course is cool to work with. Made some good mates already.

So far I have processed 3 b&w films (one set of b&w negs turned out purple!!:o), learned about a load of photographers..how to actually understand the settings on the camera and loads more!!

Outside of college, i got a job working part-time in a studio, so have quit my sales job and gone freelance there!!! As well as getting the general setup for a darkroom in my house nearly done.

So major changes have happened since I last updated you!!! hahaha

So if anyone fancies letting me tag along on a few jobs to get some experience...it would be fab! I would even do it for free! :D

I'm covering some football games for the star - if you fancy coming along for the experience - will drop you a PM

ASSUMING THE GAMES ARE STILL ON - WITH ALL THAT RAIN !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Anyone got any advice???

Keep your hands of the lecturer. :p

workbook it up

Advertisement