Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow speeds on UPC all week.

Options
  • 09-08-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,180 ✭✭✭✭

535985035.png

20MB Connection wired.

I'm guessing it's not just me?, They'd want to sort this BS out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

took 4 attempts as speedtest kept lagging out :pac:
    on 10meg upc btw.
    536004354.png

anyone have any idea whats going on with upc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

If its only slow at peak times, then its probably congestion. Calling upc won't hurt but don't be suckered into getting transferred to the premium rate "help line".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

536065124.png

20MB package - using a download manager I get about 2.2megabytes per second download speed - which suggests a higher speed than what this test is giving me...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

Dublin Server

536066599.png

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mccreesj

Been having really poor speeds myself, in Dublin 24.

Getting this at the moment:

536235411.png

, although about an hour ago I was barely getting 3mb. I'm on a supposed 20mb connection btw.

Also noticed that over the past few weeks, the "enet" and "recv" lights on my ntl:250 modem are constantly flashing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,180 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Anybody here called UPC about this?, I really can't deal with the customer service again.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

it could be the contention ratio in the area. If loads of people are on the one line and everyones using it at the same time its going to lag horribly regardless of your line. I was with imagine, very low contention ratio in tallaght with them, i was getting great speeds even at peak times. Or try find a decent ISP and ask them about the ratio in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

536262944.png

Was sitting at 2mbps all day on the 20mb broadband living in Maynooth, called up UPC the tech said there was nothing wrong according to his line test but that he'd run another one tomorrow and get back to me around the afternoon. It was fine on Friday and seems to be speeding up now at this hour of the night.

This is our second month with UPC and until now i've never seen the speeds drop this low. Hopefully it's just something stupid and everything will be ok tomorrow. :pac:

There's not many places in Sligo that can get UPC, nevermind have it. I know nobody in one of the other 160 odd houses in my area have it because most don't have internet and others are on Eircon.

It's definitely UPC doing upgrades or something like that, before this week I was getting 18.5MB to 19.5MB on average, and all of a sudden it drops and I'm getting no more than 4MB.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭noreds

Been getting the up and down speed rates. Then every few days the whole net goes down for about 20 mins (at least) at a time.

Of course when I run the test tonight I get my highest speeds in ages.

536339642.png

Emailed UPC few days ago and got the usual reset your modem and there is no problems in the area.
    Funny how so many people on here have problems but UPC think nothing is wrong.
    I am in D24 and have seen that UPC are doing work round the area. Not in my estate but in Tallaght. Wonder if it's anything to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

10mb in D15

536341785.png

I had a awful slow connect for a for the past week but it seems fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I was getting slow speeds a few weeks ago. I'm on a 20 Mbs connection in Dublin 8. Suspecting congestion, I rang upc. They blamed everything on my computer settings etc.
    They denied to the end anything to do with congestion. Funny enough, the speeds came back up all by themselves. With a little help from two letters to comreg and a snotty letter read out on the Pat Kenny show.
    Bottom line, they will deny any responsibility for less than perfect performance, and are far happier to blame the customer.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

I have been having issues with them also.I was getting these sorta of speeds
    536411252.png

But last week it went bad for only a short space of time and very random times too.Over the weekend it was terrible and was getting these speeds
    536125372.png
    The wierd thing was i was getting full speeds/low pings to Zurich/Galway servers via speedtest.net and NTL's speedtest was perfect too.
    All other servers around europe where terrible so it seems to be a routing issue with them.

I rang them on saturday to be told the usual "we will do test and ring you back".No call back so i rang them again on sunday and was told the same thing but this time i got a call back.
    I had a long chat with the guy on the phone to be told such things like...
    "Your connection is perfect and your lucky to get that" (testing on there speedtest)
    "We dont control the routing"
    "Its the internet thats slow not us"
    "Anthing under 300ms ping it very good"

This sorta crap went on for a while and he basically said that the engineers cant find a fault so they wont be fixing it.I did ask was it the to contention because of all there upgrades to be told "no" even though he said my connection was bad because the network was busy.I asked him to get a supervisor to ring me back today (for all the good it will do) to try explain why my very good service has gone to pot.I mean lol all i have to do is just limit my net activity to certain servers and i will get great service:eek:

ATM its fine and running at full speed, but for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mccreesj

Just done a new speedtest, I'm getting this now:

536482379.png

Pretty much twice what I was getting at 1am, when if anything it should have been quicker. The flashing lights on the modem are what concerns me, they definitely suggest that something isn't right on the network.

Here we go again getting bad:mad:

@11.15am
    536485155.png

@11.30am
    536491046.png

Will keep an eye on it but deffo looks like contention but it is a bit early in the day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

536490309.png

I'm also having problems. They started on Saturday. Rang them yesterday and got the "seems fine from here, but I'll get some more tests done for you tomorrow and call you back." Deadly can't wait to NOT be called back, and this not to be fixed anytime soon! In Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

536490561.png

Was working fine untill about half ten,then the service started to get worse.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/536490309.png

I'm also having problems. They started on Saturday. Rang them yesterday and got the "seems fine from here, but I'll get some more tests done for you tomorrow and call you back." Deadly can't wait to NOT be called back, and this not to be fixed anytime soon! In Dublin 16.

Yeah i know the feeling.I'm in D.16 too (ballinteer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

game4it70 wrote: »
    Here we go again getting bad:mad:

@11.15am
    536485155.png

@11.30am
    536491046.png

Will keep an eye on it but deffo looks like contention but it is a bit early in the day for it.

Try the Galway server. 536502640.png

It may be a problem with the Dublin server and not a problem with UPC.

I am on the ten meg pack and that result seems fine to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Don't know what my speeds were but for the last 2-3 days my browsing was really really slow at times.

• Advertisement

Ranicand wrote: »
    Try the Galway server. 536502640.png

It may be a problem with the Dublin server and not a problem with UPC.

I am on the ten meg pack and that result seems fine to me.

Yeah there fine with galway and zurich but thats it,anywhere else and it rubbish.All ping tests are bad too bar "heanet.ie"
    I run two game servers based in london and i normally get 35ish ping to them but now i'm gettin 150+.I know there not acting up and are not congested atm but the route to them seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lin lin

i had UPC/ NTL for a year and had problems all the time, more so with teh cable than the internet to be honest, but when my internet was down fo rabout a week, and after a reasonable amount of nagging over the phone, they deducted a good bit of money from my monthly bill. could be worth trying!

536560167.png
    Galway

536560611.png
    Dublin

Did both tests just there.

Clearly something up with the Dublin one. Getting great speeds from Galway server. But like game4it70 said, when I'm gaming online last 2 days been getting 130ish ping normally get like 30-40. Server seems fine as other players getting usual pings, so don't know what exactly is wrong but I want it fixed pronto!

PS Still waiting for that call back from UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

It seems most people here are having problems with slow connection but how many are having problems with no connection at all? For the past while my connection is slow at times, really fast at others, but more and more frequently it's totally out and IE8 and Firefox just show 'Diagnose Connection' buttons or similar.

They must have changed something on the network or the modem firmware (other thread suggest it may be a modem firewall). Really wanted to put off ringing them as they're so horrible to deal with but guess I'll have to now.

It seems most people here are having problems with slow connection but how many are having problems with no connection at all? For the past while my connection is slow at times, really fast at others, but more and more frequently it's totally out and IE8 and Firefox just show 'Diagnose Connection' buttons or similar.

They must have changed something on the network or the modem firmware (other thread suggest it may be a modem firewall). Really wanted to put off ringing them as they're so horrible to deal with but guess I'll have to now.

Mine has always been working over last while but just slow since Saturday afternoon.

And yea your right they are a pain to deal with. On the phone yesterday to then for about 15mins before I got through, talked for a few mins and some how got cut off. So back waiting to get through all over again! You think they would ring you back if you blatantly got cut off. And By the looks of things they aren't going to ring me back today like they said, so I'll have to make another phone call! =[

536638306.png

What leads me to believe it is not contention is the upload speed. In the past on Eircon and UPC when it was around 7pm and more people were on I would lose some download speed but my upload speed would always be around the 1.3 - 1.4 mark. But now its low like the download speed.

Oh, and Gaming is terrible, trying to play Call of Duty and the connection I have now is *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭PrivateSmokey

I'm gettin same issue since friday from Meath on 10meg line getting about 2 meg down 0.7 up

The only good thing i can say is at least there is a few of us in the same boat so they may not fob us off so quickly:rolleyes:

@ Oatsey.
    Good point there about the upload so lets hope it is a fault they can actually fix instead of contention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

10Meg line (recently moved house and from a UTV set-up), also being a pig at the moment:

536776593.png

This is since Friday / Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

I'm not alone then..It's been crappy all week. At least my ping is down from it's high of 1022ms a few days ago
    536757781.png
    This is my 20mb package

Advertisement